Show search

Notification

Error
<123

Cheshire Chris's Treatment Thread

User
Posted 22 Sep 2018 at 19:40

Chris

The hormone treatment I’m on causes what the Oncologist called moments of emotional instability. I would all of a sudden be thinking of what was to come and also burst into tears, if you Research ADT emotional incidents are common.

Give yourself time Chris, you may be trying to run before walking

User
Posted 22 Sep 2018 at 21:42
Yup, can confirm.

I’ve been in “boo boo I’m going to die, poor me” mode all week.

Tiredness, illness, overthinking, too much bl**dy internet research can all mess you up.

Humour really helps. I watched Deadpool 2 yesterday and it lifted me out of the funk.

Carpe Prostatem

User
Posted 23 Sep 2018 at 14:03
Feeling absolutely fine again today - amazing what a difference a nice sunny day makes! I've just been for a two and a half mile walk (at a slower than normal pace, admittedly) and had no pain or discomfort during or after it at all. That's the furthest I've walked since before I had my aneurysm operation at the end of July. OK, I'm pretty shattered, and I'm glad I didn't walk any further, but I'm happy I was able to do it with reasonable comfort.

Three weeks now since I was sliced an diced, and the surgical wounds continue to heal well. I don't really notice much day-to-day change, but I take a photograph of them every day on my phone (sad, I know!) and when I compare the pictures from those from a week previously the difference is obvious.

Chris
User
Posted 23 Sep 2018 at 18:11

Glad things seem too be going well Chris.

User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 15:36

Today I saw my kidney surgeon for a 6-week post-op follow-up. Pretty good news; he said that the lab results show a very good negative surgical margin, but that it's a very good thing it was caught when it was because the tumour was starting to break through the capsule wall into the layer of fat surrounding the kidney. He also said that it's fortunate he did a full nephrectomy rather than the partial that was planned, because if he had done a partial, with these lab results he'd be going back in to remove the rest. 

So, I'm "cured", but he's classified my kidney cancer as "intermediate risk", meaning there's a small risk (<5%) that it'll show up somewhere else at some time in the future. I'll be having a "baseline" abdominal and chest CT scan in the next few weeks, and then annual scans for the next five years which will be compared with that baseline. 

The 5 surgical wounds, one large and 4 small, have all completely closed up now, and he said that in a year they should be no more than faint lines. 

So, all things considered, pretty good news. I think I can now reasonably say that I used to have kidney cancer, but don't have it any more! Two major conditions sorted, one more - the prostate cancer - to go. 

I think this calls for a celebratory cup of tea!

Chris

User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 16:33
I’m full of admiration Chris. I love your candid , stoic posts which I know have a hidden stress behind them. Your courage shows through and I wish you nothing but the best. My fingers are crossed.

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 16:48
You're very kind, Chris, but I'm the last person in the world you'd call "courageous"! There are people on this site who are far, far worse off than me, and I'd much rather not be having to deal with any of this stuff. The only good news in any of this is that, thus far, the treatment's been pretty successful, and I take the view that you've just got to try to handle things one step at a time. I'm not looking forward to my RT next Feb at all, but again it needs doing so I'll deal with that when it happens. At least I've got a couple of nice trips arranged for between now and the RT.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 17:56
Well enjoy your trips to the full mate. I’ve been grasping at every opportunity. Date nights , holidays with friends , holidays with family , mini cruise just with my son this half-term , painting breaks etc etc. I’m enjoying every minute of treatment free life to the full and will tackle it when they see something tbh. And I’m a school caretaker now also , as well as lunchtime assistant and volunteer reader. It’s all good despite an expected psa of over 100 January next year , and trying to put off HT desperately. I think you’re a bit of a hero anyway .....

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
User
Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 18:12

" I think this calls for a celebratory cup of tea! " 

I think I'd be having something a little stronger than that Cheshire Chris! 

Brilliant news for you in any case! 

Best Wishes ..
Luther 

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 09:36

That is great news Chris. Sounds like your surgeon is excellent.

Ian

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 20:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
You're very kind, Chris, but I'm the last person in the world you'd call "courageous"! There are people on this site who are far, far worse off than me, and I'd much rather not be having to deal with any of this stuff. The only good news in any of this is that, thus far, the treatment's been pretty successful, and I take the view that you've just got to try to handle things one step at a time. I'm not looking forward to my RT next Feb at all, but again it needs doing so I'll deal with that when it happens. At least I've got a couple of nice trips arranged for between now and the RT.

Cheers,

Chris

update from me Chris, had my review today at the 8 week post RT point. This is pretty standard, Oncologists all say you need this period for things to settle down. To the point, after weeks of agonising waiting my PSA At review was 0.5. This is very good I’m told and means the RT was a success. I asked the oncologist if I could stop HT after 18 months, she reinforced 3 years was recommended for people like me in the Gleason 9 club, but she fully supported my QoL reasons to stop at 18 months. I’ll be on 4 monthly PSA tests for the next year, then as I’m stopping HT early, 4 monthly for another year. All I all the best outcome I could have had. So don’t dread your RT mate, it’s vital and does the job. I’m always around if you want to chat about the whole RT thing

alan