Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I’m new

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 21:13

Evening All

in July diagnosed withPSA 144, Gleason 4 +4, scores positive 6/6 Gleason prog group 4.Bone scan & CT scan showed localised disease. Treatment upfront chemotherapy ( Docetaxel] followed by radial radiotherapy. Have finisished first session of chemo & PSA now of around 12.00 . so far only chemo side effects is fatigue, still able to enjoy gin & tonic plus all meals.i feel really lucky . Trying first session next week with personal trainer at local gym.Have any one else found the gym useful . Normally fit and active but the chemotherapy is making me quite lethargic, is this common.?

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 12:52

Red, well done. Keep it up. 

Exercise is really important. Work in three areas if possible. a) general fitness levels, walking, swimming or whatever cardio vascular exercise you can do. b) resistance work build up slowly to get lean mass and muscle development. c) flexibility I have added yoga very recently to my schedule. As a beginner I was surprised at how useful it is and despite being pretty active and strong the routines tested me and showed a lot of deficiency in my flexibility.

Build up slowly and don’t over do it tho

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 13:56

Keep an eye out for things like pins and needles in your fingers and toes, or especially, the sensation of walking on feathers or cotton wool , that is the first indication of possible neuropathy. My husband was experiencing these symptoms and his oncologist reduced the dosage of Docetaxel however at the end of his chemotherapy he was really suffering and struggling with walking and balancing. Not meaning to be negative but a word of caution. The good news is that his lung mets and lymph nodes have been reduced 

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 23:26
Hi Red,

Yip keeping up exercise is good but don't try to over do it from your initial fitness to quick. It took me about a year after chemo before I could start jogging, which I hadn't done for a long time. I did however keep walking, hill and flat and gardening, swimming etc.

During chemo I just did walking and keep active however come session 4 etc fatguie set in and I had to listen to my body and sleep or nap whenever I needed. Rest was very important.

Steven

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 12:52

Red, well done. Keep it up. 

Exercise is really important. Work in three areas if possible. a) general fitness levels, walking, swimming or whatever cardio vascular exercise you can do. b) resistance work build up slowly to get lean mass and muscle development. c) flexibility I have added yoga very recently to my schedule. As a beginner I was surprised at how useful it is and despite being pretty active and strong the routines tested me and showed a lot of deficiency in my flexibility.

Build up slowly and don’t over do it tho

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 13:56

Keep an eye out for things like pins and needles in your fingers and toes, or especially, the sensation of walking on feathers or cotton wool , that is the first indication of possible neuropathy. My husband was experiencing these symptoms and his oncologist reduced the dosage of Docetaxel however at the end of his chemotherapy he was really suffering and struggling with walking and balancing. Not meaning to be negative but a word of caution. The good news is that his lung mets and lymph nodes have been reduced 

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 23:26
Hi Red,

Yip keeping up exercise is good but don't try to over do it from your initial fitness to quick. It took me about a year after chemo before I could start jogging, which I hadn't done for a long time. I did however keep walking, hill and flat and gardening, swimming etc.

During chemo I just did walking and keep active however come session 4 etc fatguie set in and I had to listen to my body and sleep or nap whenever I needed. Rest was very important.

Steven