My previous threads mostly consisted of questions about advanced cancer management and treatment plans and side effects.
Although at this precise moment in time my husband is still taking Abiraterone for cancer management and having 3 monthly Zoladex injections, his symptoms have progressed and he is very unwell.
We'll know whether treatment will continue at the next onco appointment on 16/11/18.
Current symptoms :
Gross haematuria (bleeding from the prostate expelled through urine/uretra)
Tiredness (sleeping on and off all day)
Loss of appetite and taste buds
The biggest problem is the haematuria, it has landed oh in hospital 3 times in the last 3 weeks. He has had a catheter fitted to help but this is now blocked with clots all the time.
He was admitted again on Monday with a blocked catheter and had been placed on continuous irrigation. 3ltr bags of fluid are passed into his bladder and simultaneously flushed out through a 3 way catheter. This has eased his symptoms enormously but as soon as the irrigation stops he clots.
This treatment is not available in the hospice setting or at home. His urologist has decided that they will have to have a look and attempt to cauterise or stem the bleeding. If it works this may only last a couple of weeks before new vessels rupture but at least it will be a couple of weeks free from pain.
Over the course of 3 days he has had around 30 bags flushed through his bladder. The hope was that this would allow the vessels to stop bleeding.it hasn't happened.
As long as the catheter is free from clots, oh isn't in any pain, just exhausted from the continuous disruption of bag changing.
I have great support around me, neighbours taking the youngest (15) to the bus stop for school, mum cooking the dinner for all of us, family and friends popping in to visit oh and allowing me time to come home to see the kids.
When someone offers to help, I think of things that I could do but don't want to because I'd rather spend my time with my husband and children.
I've just asked my son (17) to do the bins for the first time....I probably could have done it myself in the time it took to explain how to do it!
I'm hoping they take him to surgery tomorrow and let him out on Monday (I don't want to be dealing with issues over the weekend ) Fingers crossed for a couple of weeks respite.x