I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter issues

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 15:44

Following recent prostatectomy op and now back at home I had an eye watering moment with my still in place catheter when a leg strap slipped down and gave the tube a sharp tug, causing enough urine leakage to need a change of clothes. Following this I am stuck with a minor but persistent seepage from around the the exit point, worse when emptying my bowels (Sorry about the 'too much info'). Now I've naturally queried this happy event with my hospital ward nursing helpline and their responses are: 1. Don't worry unless it gets worse or there are signs of infection. 2. Damage to the urethra surgical join is unlikely.

Fair enough, but you know what it's like thinking about things in the middle of the night, so the question I pose is: Has anybody out there had similar post-op leaking catheter problems and have they been given any different advice?

User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 16:14

Hi grocer jack, I'm one week post op (da Vinci) - I found my catheter far more troublesome than the post op scars - tenderness. I also experienced mild leakage - especially when on the loo. However panicked completely yesterday when I experienced two bleeds from my penis ( around the outside of the catheter tube) - this followed by a relatively large and scary looking blood clot emerging from my penis ( and around my catheter tube). Being a bloke, I panicked completely and contacted the ward who told me to come in so the doctor could check it out. A 100 mile round trip to be told all was normal they felt, and the bleeding could be due to trauma during the surgery, or a result of chaffing of the catheter tube within the penis. They did some tests and found a very mild uti - so now on antibiotics. Another bleed today, but not so worried now having received reassurance from the doctor. I hope you are now a little more reassured about the leakage issues you were experiencing. Personally, I can't wait to have this thing out next Monday !. Wishing you a merry ( and comfortable) Christmas.

a quick update for anyone struggling with the catheter: mine came out on weds this week ( 4 days ago) - i was worried sick this was going to hurt, but it was really strsightfirward with only mild discomfort experienced for a few seconds. what surprised me was that the constant pain i had experienced during the 3 weeks the cstheter was in dissapeared immediately -  such a relief !. i'm now starting the long slow recovery and resting at home - a short walk each day ( which i simply could not manage with the catheter in) and  a diet of daytime TV. the most difficult aspect is remembering not to lift /  reach / stretch or generally over do it. i seem to have been lucky and to date have been continent..... though when the urge hits to "go", i cant hang about. sleeping so much better to, though still having to make 4/5 trips to the loo through the night.

Edited by member 06 Jan 2019 at 14:27  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 22 Jan 2019 at 11:00

Hi Grocer Jack sorry to hear about your eye watering experience. My brush with this occurred 2 days after Da Vinci procedure at Christie 2/11/12. Making my way ( Hobbling ) for a shower un-aided. Assistance offered but instead of beautiful nurse I get a male orderly ( Bernard Manning Double ). City shirt under uniform. As a Trotters fan I declined. Sorry I digress. Get in shower room gingerly disrobe, large catheter on tripod unhooked to sit on chair and bathe. Bag which is half full over balanced dropped and almost extracted itself from the member. Dangling from position, it brought tears to my eyes. My catheter in place for 10 days, on extraction I followed advice about hygiene but still got a infection. Took over 6 weeks to clear up, wrong anti-biotics. Everything over my 6 years of recovery has been fine. With excellent follow-up, discharged from Christie and monitored by my GP with annual PSA blood tests. So Happy with the NHS and Macmillan Nurses and Christie. Good Luck in your Recovery.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 23:23
The advice given by the ward sounds right. The catheter is kept in by balloon so ain't gonna be dislodged easily. If you had damaged the join there would be fresh blood too.

Try to keep your bag and pipe work straight to ease the flow and avoid it taking the harder route round the outside. Also watch the straining when you are on the loo.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2018 at 12:04

I had catheter in for 3 weeks, it leaked all the time, phoned the hospital several times they always said the same that it is normal, don't strain on the loo it is the one of the worst thing you can do

best wishes to all

User
Posted 25 Nov 2018 at 12:38

Jack

The seepage you describe or by passing is a common occurrence,particular when passing a motion. As already mentioned if there was damage to the joint you could be passing blood and possibly be quite ill if urine was passing into the pelvic cavity.

I have been catheterised on many occasions and had some eye watering moments but never managed to pull a catheter out.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 25 Nov 2018 at 12:39  | Reason: Missing word

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 15:05
I can only concur with what the other say. I had leakage and was worried about it, but received the same answers from the nurse at my GP's surgery. After the catheter came out, I was going to the loo every hour to hour and a half. Now after 7 weeks, I can last a few hours, unless walking about, then I will have the odd small leak. Feels worse than it actually is. My wife tells me I should have given birth to two children if I want to know what leakage is all about!. Just keep taking the stool softener so you do not strain and all will improve I am sure.
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 16:14

Hi grocer jack, I'm one week post op (da Vinci) - I found my catheter far more troublesome than the post op scars - tenderness. I also experienced mild leakage - especially when on the loo. However panicked completely yesterday when I experienced two bleeds from my penis ( around the outside of the catheter tube) - this followed by a relatively large and scary looking blood clot emerging from my penis ( and around my catheter tube). Being a bloke, I panicked completely and contacted the ward who told me to come in so the doctor could check it out. A 100 mile round trip to be told all was normal they felt, and the bleeding could be due to trauma during the surgery, or a result of chaffing of the catheter tube within the penis. They did some tests and found a very mild uti - so now on antibiotics. Another bleed today, but not so worried now having received reassurance from the doctor. I hope you are now a little more reassured about the leakage issues you were experiencing. Personally, I can't wait to have this thing out next Monday !. Wishing you a merry ( and comfortable) Christmas.

a quick update for anyone struggling with the catheter: mine came out on weds this week ( 4 days ago) - i was worried sick this was going to hurt, but it was really strsightfirward with only mild discomfort experienced for a few seconds. what surprised me was that the constant pain i had experienced during the 3 weeks the cstheter was in dissapeared immediately -  such a relief !. i'm now starting the long slow recovery and resting at home - a short walk each day ( which i simply could not manage with the catheter in) and  a diet of daytime TV. the most difficult aspect is remembering not to lift /  reach / stretch or generally over do it. i seem to have been lucky and to date have been continent..... though when the urge hits to "go", i cant hang about. sleeping so much better to, though still having to make 4/5 trips to the loo through the night.

Edited by member 06 Jan 2019 at 14:27  | Reason: Update

User
Posted 22 Jan 2019 at 11:00

Hi Grocer Jack sorry to hear about your eye watering experience. My brush with this occurred 2 days after Da Vinci procedure at Christie 2/11/12. Making my way ( Hobbling ) for a shower un-aided. Assistance offered but instead of beautiful nurse I get a male orderly ( Bernard Manning Double ). City shirt under uniform. As a Trotters fan I declined. Sorry I digress. Get in shower room gingerly disrobe, large catheter on tripod unhooked to sit on chair and bathe. Bag which is half full over balanced dropped and almost extracted itself from the member. Dangling from position, it brought tears to my eyes. My catheter in place for 10 days, on extraction I followed advice about hygiene but still got a infection. Took over 6 weeks to clear up, wrong anti-biotics. Everything over my 6 years of recovery has been fine. With excellent follow-up, discharged from Christie and monitored by my GP with annual PSA blood tests. So Happy with the NHS and Macmillan Nurses and Christie. Good Luck in your Recovery.