I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Still in PAIN

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 22:38

12 days after I had RS I still get sharp pains on my tummy...is that normal?

I have been having plenty rests..walking gently everyday indoors and lately outside of my flat.

Drinking at least 2 litres of water, juices, taking medicines eating the right high protein foods etc

But still I get sharp pains....any suggestions?

Thanks you all in advance

DarkRainbow 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 06:27
I still have sharp pains all over my abdomen 3 1/2 yrs on I’m afraid. They put it down to adhesions where things heal against adjoining things. It hurts if I need a wee or poo like mad in the mornings still. Sometimes it can settle. Depends how well attached they are. It’s been annoying for me for sure.
User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 06:32

When do you get your catheter out?

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:02

Are these pains from the wound or inside, also how often?

I found certain positions and movements could be painful due to the big wound which as you realise goes straight through and needs good healing.  Also lifting anything heavy could give me a sharp reminder.  Although within a couple of months it was all fine.

The surgeon also gave me the impression that if you're heavy round there it would be more difficult, taking him up to an hour longer as well.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 15:21
I told you before your operation, DR, that this is major surgery and you're looking at months, not weeks, to make a full physical recovery. Abdominal surgery (even robotic surgery) cuts through lots of muscles that you use in normal movement and it'll probably take a good two or three months before all the internal sutures dissolve and the muscles stop hurting.

In the mean time do as much as you feel physically able to, but stop when your body tells you to!

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 11:19

3 months after RS I managed to start doing minor abdominal exercises.  If I felt pain or discomfort I would stop.  I still get a twinge if I try and stretch upwards, such as reaching for something out of the kitchen cupboard.  In the past when I have had a major injury it has taken me 6-12 months to recover and I am expecting the same recovery time after my surgery.  I did very little walking whilst I had the catheter in (2 weeks after operation), so long as your abdominal wounds have healed okay and not got infected then it may be that you are trying too much too soon?  We are all different though.  Good luck with your recovery :-) 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 06:27
I still have sharp pains all over my abdomen 3 1/2 yrs on I’m afraid. They put it down to adhesions where things heal against adjoining things. It hurts if I need a wee or poo like mad in the mornings still. Sometimes it can settle. Depends how well attached they are. It’s been annoying for me for sure.
User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 06:32

When do you get your catheter out?

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:02

Are these pains from the wound or inside, also how often?

I found certain positions and movements could be painful due to the big wound which as you realise goes straight through and needs good healing.  Also lifting anything heavy could give me a sharp reminder.  Although within a couple of months it was all fine.

The surgeon also gave me the impression that if you're heavy round there it would be more difficult, taking him up to an hour longer as well.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 15:21
I told you before your operation, DR, that this is major surgery and you're looking at months, not weeks, to make a full physical recovery. Abdominal surgery (even robotic surgery) cuts through lots of muscles that you use in normal movement and it'll probably take a good two or three months before all the internal sutures dissolve and the muscles stop hurting.

In the mean time do as much as you feel physically able to, but stop when your body tells you to!

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 11:19

3 months after RS I managed to start doing minor abdominal exercises.  If I felt pain or discomfort I would stop.  I still get a twinge if I try and stretch upwards, such as reaching for something out of the kitchen cupboard.  In the past when I have had a major injury it has taken me 6-12 months to recover and I am expecting the same recovery time after my surgery.  I did very little walking whilst I had the catheter in (2 weeks after operation), so long as your abdominal wounds have healed okay and not got infected then it may be that you are trying too much too soon?  We are all different though.  Good luck with your recovery :-) 

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 23:28

Sorry for the delay I thank you so much for your kind respond. Hope your feeling better now 

***Happy New Year ***

R x

Edited by member 30 Dec 2018 at 23:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 23:34

Good Evening Chris 

Apologises please for the delay, much appreciated your kindness re info. Please please please..your comments are all noted. 

It's good to get some advises from knowledgeable people like you.

I thought 6 weeks would be enough to recover but now I know that I was wrong. 

Surely I will not push my self but same time I will know the limit and have plenty rest.

Hope your Christmas was ok.

****Happy New Year ****

DR x

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 23:42

I'm deeply sorry for the delay......Had the operation on the 6th of December than on the 20th they took the cathere out .

It was so horrible cannot explain..But I know I must not be selfish there are thousands of people out there right now sleeping in their bed and living with catheter!

When they took my cathere the nurse said I can see that you been drinking water so much  your urine is so clear. Anyway actually as Cheshire Chris says it's a major operation and it would take months months to get back to normal and I take his words seriously....

Saying that most annoying things at the moment are  getting up night time and making more than twice trips to the bathroom!!

Right..Wish you a wonderful happy new year 

Good night 

DR x

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 23:47

Hi Peter 

So sorry for the delay. ...

The pains are coming from inside of my tummy..But sometime I partly blame my self really because of sometime I try to reach to get something from the cupboard. Or sometime I lift a pint of milk..etc that creates pain. 

Anyway as Cheshire Chris says it's a major operation and I  must take it easy as Cheshire Chris says it's it might take month after months to recover 

***Wish you a very happy new year ***

Good night 

DR x