Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain after surgery

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 19:08

Good evening,

well i had my radical prostatectomy two weeks ago . can anyone tell me what kind of pain i can expect or, what pain 

did you go through? 

regards

dark lane 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 20:53
At two weeks post-op the pain is usually felt in the abdominal area where muscles and flesh have been cut and bashed around, in the testicles, in the shoulder (due to gas if the RP was keyhole surgery), stomach and lower back if constipated, back / spine if you had epidural / spinal block for anaesthesia, muscle ache if you are sleeping in an unusual position.

If you have a lot of pain, are you overdoing things?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 22:42

I'm not an expert like Super woman Lynn or bionic man Cheshire Chris 

But let me tell you this mate 

As Cheshire Chris said to me....and As super woman Lynn said to you 

It's a major operation you had...they had the cut through and work on it muscle s  etc.

It's a marathon type of recovery not a sprint 

Try to have rest rest rest but same time do as much walk as possible do have rest listen what your body says respect for your body. 

I used to walk like hunch back of Notre damus 

Was bending so much....So  whilst walking try to hold  a pillow on your tummy it would help you honestly. 

Hope there is somebody to care for you.

Eat plenty fruits .energy foods .

If you dont have to please don't go out. Walk in your house flat. 

This is very important 

***DO NOT LIFT ANY THING ****

At least for 6 weeks. Not even a pint of milk 

Good luck 

D.R 

Edited by member 04 Mar 2019 at 22:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 09:46
Big thanks DR
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 19:51
If you are not in pain now, you are unlikely to have any problems going forward Darklane
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 20:46

Hi lyn, the trouble is i am in pain and have made app to see consultant . i was just curious where men might

experience pain .

dark lane 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2019 at 20:53
At two weeks post-op the pain is usually felt in the abdominal area where muscles and flesh have been cut and bashed around, in the testicles, in the shoulder (due to gas if the RP was keyhole surgery), stomach and lower back if constipated, back / spine if you had epidural / spinal block for anaesthesia, muscle ache if you are sleeping in an unusual position.

If you have a lot of pain, are you overdoing things?

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 13:15
Hi , yes the pain is in my penis and in my anal area it's like a dull ache . Do you know just how many pelvic exercises that I should be doing in a day?

Dark lane

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 14:03
Is the catheter out?

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 16:33
Yes that came out on Monday.
User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 18:38
Pelvic floor exercises should not cause pain so you should ensure you are doing them correctly - speak to a physio at the hospital or there are videos on YouTube.

But at this stage in your recovery, it is expected that you will still be in discomfort; you have had major surgery and the estimates are that you should be feeling more or less back to normal within 6 to 12 weeks depending on the type of surgery. If you are aching in that area, could you be standing up for too long or walking too far / trying to lift things? Do you still have a lot of swelling / bruising around the scrotum? Is the area hot to touch?

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 20:38
I have some bruising yes but the area does not feel hot.

Dark lane

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 22:42

I'm not an expert like Super woman Lynn or bionic man Cheshire Chris 

But let me tell you this mate 

As Cheshire Chris said to me....and As super woman Lynn said to you 

It's a major operation you had...they had the cut through and work on it muscle s  etc.

It's a marathon type of recovery not a sprint 

Try to have rest rest rest but same time do as much walk as possible do have rest listen what your body says respect for your body. 

I used to walk like hunch back of Notre damus 

Was bending so much....So  whilst walking try to hold  a pillow on your tummy it would help you honestly. 

Hope there is somebody to care for you.

Eat plenty fruits .energy foods .

If you dont have to please don't go out. Walk in your house flat. 

This is very important 

***DO NOT LIFT ANY THING ****

At least for 6 weeks. Not even a pint of milk 

Good luck 

D.R 

Edited by member 04 Mar 2019 at 22:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 09:46
Big thanks DR
User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 12:25

Hi, i am 3 weeks post robotic prostatectomy, my catheter was in place for 2 weeks and I honestly hated every minute, my penis ached, my bladder was in constant spasm, I had  pain in my scrotum due to it swelling to the size of a mango, but once the catheter was out everything returned to normal very quickly, I have had no pain where the incisions on my stomach were made only a slight tightening sensation as they heal, I thought I would be incontinent but I'm not, I have the odd dribble usually when I'm stood up, when I'm sat down or lying in bed I have no leakage at all. The pain I'm experiencing is in my groin were they took lymph nodes and nerves away, I have been prescribed gabapentin and I think they are now starting to work, because it felt like I had been scalded.

Good luck

Chris