Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hope?

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 15:05

Hi all, 

My partner was told by consultant yesterday after internal exam that he has a nasty prostate cancer. He has MRI, bone scan and biopsy booked within the next week, we're not sure what to expect if it is really bad, any info would be appreciated 

M. 

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 15:31

Sorry you've ended up here.

What lead to the internal exam?
Any symptoms?
A PSA test?
What age?

I'm not sure what internal exam this was, but I'm guessing a Digital Rectal Exam (DRE), and/or Cycstoscopy of urethra and bladder.

I don't think anyone can tell you much until you have the test results.

Have you got a Macmillan or Urology nurse assigned to you yet?

Has he been put on any treatment yet such as hormone therapy? (Doesn't usually happen until after biopsy results, but it can happen before in some cases).

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 16:08

Hi, 

He is 64, had water work problems for a while which led to PSA test, this came back as 25. No treatment yet.

Consultant said yesterday his prostate was large and lumpy and in his opinion he had a nasty prostate cancer (as opposed to a normal prostate cancer???) 

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 17:19
I don’t think there is really a ‘nice’ prostate cancer, and I think your urologist should have been much more judicious in his choice of phraseology than to mention ‘nasty’, as he will have no idea of the extent or virulence of the cancer (if any) until the results of the forthcoming tests are known.

All he has succeeding in doing is to leave the two of you sh1tt1ng yourselves until you know the outcome of the tests.

Do let us know how it pans out. There are lots of men here who did have very ‘nasty’ cancers who are currently in remission.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 02 May 2019 at 17:31
I agree - the consultant seems to have chosen his / her words carelessly. Based on the DRE he can advise that the cancer is advanced or of high volume (based on how knobbly it felt or whether he can feel cancer on the outside of the gland) but cannot possibly say it is one of the nasty types.

A ‘nasty’ prostate cancer would be one of the rare strains that does not respond to normal treatment, and / or spreads to unusual places but this can only be diagnosed via biopsy and close assessment in a laboratory. It cannot be identified by feeling.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 00:19
I think it's fair to say that PC falls into two camps, one needs treating asap (the nasty one), the other doesn't need immediate treatment (the nice one).

So I think what your consultant is telling you is that treatment will probably be required. With a PSA of 25 AND a lumpy prostate he is probably correct but until you get the biopsy results you won't know for certain.

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 05:34

Thanks all for your comments. MRI scan was yesterday, bone scan today, biopsy next Wednesday and we see the consultant the week after, as everyone says it is the waiting and not knowing 

M. 

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 08:24
All according to plan then.

Very quick timescale. Is he going private or NHS? If the latter I’m very impressed.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 04 May 2019 at 16:01

NHS, the speed at which its being done worried us even more 

User
Posted 04 May 2019 at 19:53

Hi,

Don’t let the speed of the various appointments make you worry any more than you already are.  My scans and biopsy etc were pretty swift as well but at this stage there is no way of telling what is going on until you have all the results. Believe it or not you will both feel better once a treatment plan is in place

I was diagnosed back in July nearly 3 years ago. My profile will give you my full diagnosis and treatment but for now - my treatment started to work just about immediately. My PSA is starting to creep up by fractions again now and will continue to do so but physically I feel great and will continue to do so for a while yet.  I hope this helps a bit.

All the best

Dave

User
Posted 04 May 2019 at 20:36

Hi there

sounds exactly like our situation, the urologist did a DRE and told John that he was certain that he had cancer and his PSA was also 25. It turns out that his Gleason score was 10 and it had spread to lymph and bones, however that was at the end of 2010 and he is still here, so try not to let your imagination run away with you. No one has the same cancer, nor the same prognosis, it’s all individual. All you can do is keep calm and hope that in your case, there is no spread, and that is possible. 

Please let us know the outcome and try not to be frightened, modern treatment has moved on even from 2010 and so much more is available now. I do remember those scary days so well and have found over the years that I operate best when I know the facts. I don’t do so well when I am in the dark. 

Wishing you all the best

love Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 11:34

I have just been diagnosed after my PSA was over 14 having steadily risen from 9 to 11 and 14 in two years.

The NHS has increased surveillance techniques for prostate cancer and appointments and treatments are pretty swift.

I am at the moment on active surveillance but frustrated because my PSA after surgical investigations that found the Prostate cancer has dropped to 11 and recently to 9.5

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 12:45

hi Kevin

would you like to post.  or update bio 're.  your biospy . staging  and gleason.

at 65 .  that's high end psa level. obviously without other data that may not be a problem.

all the best

regards Gordon 

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 15:03
Why would you be frustrated that your PSA is falling? That is a good thing!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard