Error

Future

User
Posted 10 May 2019 at 16:34

Just been diagnosed today!  

Looks like a long road ahead.

User
Posted 10 May 2019 at 16:51
Order the free information pack called ‘Toolkit’ from this website.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 May 2019 at 17:33
Welcome to "the club", Anthony. What stage are you actually at? You've had a high PSA test result, or you've actually had a biopsy, MRI scan, etc, and have a confirmed diagnosis of prostate cancer?

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 10 May 2019 at 18:22

Hi Chris,thank you for contacting me,  I have a high reading, have had MRI and bone scan. The consultant has no doubt so I will have a biopsy to verify.

regards

Tony

User
Posted 10 May 2019 at 19:01
Sounds as if you're in good hands, Tony. The waiting for all the tests is the hardest part of the whole process for most people. Once you know where you stand and have a grading for the cancer you can get on with treatment. The good news is that, provided the cancer hasn't spread outside the prostate, it's a very treatable condition.

Please do keep us updated once you've had your biopsy results back.

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2019 at 18:01

Hi Anthony, If you write more on your profile members will know better about how to reply to you.  Dates of appointments and what happened and test results. 

It looks like you've also used your full name, the comments are searchable to the public.  Most people use a pen name.  Many people are very open about what they write even though this can be a sensitive topic that you wouldn't be so open about.  So feel free to be open about it, if you wish.

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 24 Nov 2019 at 19:36

Hi all, it has been a few months. Since I posted about my diagnosis, it was in May of this year. the biopsy showed that the cancer had not migrated to surrounding tissue but there were signs that there were cancer cells outside the prostate. I now have had six months of hormone therapy and I have had the gold markers put in place. Next week I will begin 20 sessions of radio therapy. I have had some side effects of the hormone therapy, many bouts of hot flushes which wake me 4 or 5 times during the night and real fatigue which has meant that I have had to pace myself in the voluntary work that I do. It has been suggested to me that radio therapy could have an effect on the immune system and that I should should avoid places where there might be infections around.  I am trying to plan how much I can do and I would value any comments.  My main voluntary work is in my local hospice where I spend all day each Monday and I also do Inspections of care homes for the Scottish Care Inspectorate.  I'm not sure what to expect from the radio therapy? When I talk to professionals about the side effects of the radio therapy, I'm told "everyone is different". Again, I would value some input from those who know.

many thanks in advance

tony

User
Posted 24 Nov 2019 at 22:34

What rubbish people sometimes spout (although probably well intentioned) - radiotherapy will not affect your immune system and you shouldn't need to avoid anyone! It sounds like someone got confused between RT and chemo?
If you are very fair skinned, you may find that you get something akin to sunburn around your middle, and you will do well to avoid perfumed shower gels, etc. Many men get a bit more fatigued in the last couple of weeks of RT, plus a couple of weeks afterwards but those who are employed tend to just carry on working and don't need to take time off sick, for example. It is true that every man is different but my husband had the 20 sessions (which is given at a higher dose than those who have 37 sessions), he went to his appointment each morning on the way to work, went to the gym every evening and carried on playing rugby. Towards the end, he had a nap at his desk a couple of times but otherwise, he didn't have any side effects at all. On the other hand, he detested the hormones and stopped early whereas it sounds like you are coping with it at the moment?

Edited by member 25 Nov 2019 at 01:25  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 14:59

A wee while since I posted. I was diagnosed in May with Local Advanced. Since then I have had 20 radio therapy treatments  along with ongoing hormone therapy.  I had a telephone consultation with the oncologist this week and she says that My PSA level is less than 0.1. So there is no further treatment planned. Six monthly reviews and continue with the hormone therapy for 3 years. Just ten months ago I all seemed so bleak, now I can smile. This really shows the value of spotting this disease early.  Just a wee addition, at the Beatson Hospital in Glasgow, at each of the radio therapy waiting areas there is a hand bell. As each patient finishes their last session they ring this bell. The sound resonates through the whole area and sets off clapping and whistling. It is probably the same in other units, it's a great boost to those just beginning.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 23:14

So pleased to hear such good news Anthony.

With very best wishes.

Ange