I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

cramp

User
Posted 17 Jun 2019 at 20:20

I keep getting cramp not had it since I served in Aden back in the 60s was then told I was loosing salt through sweating so I'm assuming it is now due to my hot flushes that some times are so horrendous I'm absolutely soaked after. But seam to be banging my head on a brick wall trying to find out yes or no and what I can do about it I'v phoned the nurse on here and my oncology nurse and all I get is see your doc been today just told to drink tonic water but still no explanation of why

User
Posted 17 Jun 2019 at 23:26

You could ask your GP (or maybe nurse, but I suspect GP will need to authorise) for a renal function blood test. That's the test which includes your sodium level. If you have a drop-in blood centre, get the form from the GP, and take it to the drop-in blood centre when you have cramp. You could also ask for full blood count (FBC) and liver function tests, which might show some other cause if it's not slow sodium.

Alternatively, try eating something salty, and see if it goes away.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2019 at 02:25

Good advice to have sodium level checked.and other appropriate tests. I took salt tablets when I served in Malaya (Malaysia now) and cramp was not a problem despite heavy perspiration. My wife says I put too much salt on my food nowadays but despite this I do suffer from cramp in my calves and thighs. I was prescribed Quinine Sulfate for this several years ago and this helped considerably. Then quite some time later I got a letter from my GP saying it could not be prescribed any more. (It seems there were a small number of cases in the USA where men had reacted very adversely - can't remember precise details but a search should show.), so drug was withdrawn in UK or at least it's use was heavily restricted. It was suggested that I tried tonic water and performed the stretching exercise I was sent instead. However, this did not help so after a time I mentioned it to my GP again and he said if I really wanted he would put this on my list of medication again. For me this makes a big difference but I would caution that for some it might not work and there could be severe side effects, so suggest anybody contemplating taking it should consider potential side effects. I have tried a 300MG tablet but the 200MG tablet once daily does it for me.

Edited by member 18 Jun 2019 at 20:59  | Reason: spelling mistake

Barry
User
Posted 18 Jun 2019 at 09:18

Roy

You may need to take medical advice first, have you tried soaking in a magnesium/Epsom salt bath.

My OH is into essential oils and one of her blends sorted out her Dad's cramp.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Jun 2019 at 10:37

yes did take salt tablets back in the 60s and every one tells me I put to much salt on my food and I do have my sodium levels check but if its not that what is it no one is coming up with any answers

User
Posted 18 Jun 2019 at 19:52

spoke to pharmacist today got a lot more answers why they can or can't do and a lot of the side affects

User
Posted 18 Jun 2019 at 21:02
well glad you were able to get better answers than we could provide!
Barry