Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

External Beam RT and HDR Brachytherapy - my path

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 07:28

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Good news Andy although I imagined you to have an impressive Poirot style 'tache ๐Ÿฅธ

Ah no, I have a fairly close cropped full beard, except trimmed around the edges. Now that it's all grey or white, it looks more like a goatee on Zoom.

I did used to work with a guy who was at the time in the Guinness Book Of Records as having the longest moustache in the UK. A great character at customer meetings, and a few times a year, he'd be late in because he was on one of the breakfast TV shows having his 'tache unrolled and measured.

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 18:40
Jules about recovery after HT etc. I was on Zoladex for 3yrs included in that was 2yrs via trial with abiraterone, enzalutimide and prednisolone. HT finished summer 2018 and I have to say think I had most of potential side effects - hot flushes, big weight gain mostly around stomach, muscle loss, strength loss, emotions to pot, loss of all body hair etc etc. I was pretty active, not overweight etc and tried best to carry on some exercise throughout.

It's been said a few times on this forum that recovery from side effects can take as long as treatment lasted and that was practically the case with me. Although I gradually got fitter, leaner etc think it was only half way through 2021 I felt anything like I did, can do most of what I want now. Weight was a big emotional thing for me, rightly or wrongly, I've just got a few kgs to go to get back below 70kg from 'worst' of 83kg.

But I'd go through it all again if needed, it's done its job up to now.

Peter

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 21:27

Anecdotally, there seems to be two key patterns:
- the side effects take the same amount of time to go as the amount of time you were on HT
- side effects which appeared very quickly when you started HT tend to disappear quickly when you stop, whereas side effects which developed over a long period of time take a long time to get rid of

Some side effects are permanent for almost all men (e.g. dry orgasms), some are permanent for the men who experience them (moobs and changes to the pelvis) and others might be permanent for some men but not all (like hot flushes)

Edited by member 01 Jan 2022 at 23:34  | Reason: typo

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 23:50

Agree on the two types of side effects, except the quick ones only go when your Testosterone recovers, which is some time after the HT finishes.

Dry orgasms should only be a temporary side effect of hormone therapy while you have no Testosterone.

However, dry orgasms are usually a permanent side effect of the radiotherapy you will have had if you are in a position to come off hormone therapy. Actually, I got a very small mount of semen back when my Testosterone came back and PSA rose, which was a bit of a surprise having got used to having none.

I talked with a consultant radiographer about this a couple of years ago, asking why, if the radiotherapy supposedly only kills the cancer cells, why doesn't the prostate work again afterwards? He said that on average, radiotherapy leaves the prostate about 5% effective because of the fibrosis damage it does mainly to the smooth muscle of the prostate. However, this varies considerably between different men, with a small number getting back up to half their semen, but most men getting back nothing.

Just to update/correct my December post, I've decided hair is regrowing on my arms, probably quite quickly now, although I never was very hairy.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 00:49

Thank you Andy, Dave, Lyn and Peter,

Loss of Libido would have to be one side effect which comes on quickly but doesn't return until testosterone levels rise again surely?

The body composition fat v muscle battle seems unwinable until testosterone returns.

There's a question in my mind about how much part testosterone powered drive plays in sustaining effort at something like cycling for a couple of hours or more. 12 months into HT/Zoladex and about 3 months past RT I hit a low point in my riding endurance but now, about a year and a half in, I think I've come to terms with not having the "inspiration" of testosterone supporting me and my average riding speed is on the way back up.

Much as Zoladex is a life saver, I'll still be glad to be off it and back to the point where some testosterone reappears [hopefully, since I'm 74]

Jules

Edited by member 02 Jan 2022 at 00:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 01:42
Not always the case. Over the years, I have seen a number of members here whose first signal that HT was finished was an erection. I can also think of members who knew that their HT was becoming ineffective (or that an injection had been a duff) because they felt randy. The quickest side effect to kick in and the earliest side effect to wear off ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 02:26

Thanks Lyn, that's interesting. Seems to indicate that Zoladex is doing more than just suppressing testosterone and something else is freed up by the disappearance of Z.

Jules

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 19:34
Yes to the HT effect wearing off by evidence of 'randiness'- for me it seemed to return suddenly and I sort of felt like a teenager being turned on by by anything and seemingly regular erections. I remember it well as it so happened I was at son's house dog sitting for 2 weeks. The 'extreme' urge seemed to ease when I got home to wife?? Libido been fine though since certainly and ability. Dry orgasms remain and I seem to still have a degree of hot flushes of a night but nothing like they were. On the fatigue/stamina angle, I did try to continue windsurfing whilst on treatment, safely when windy enough but not too windy and on a lake, I found that I needed to sail to other side of lake and literally rest for 10 mins as was so tired. That obviously got better after a while and I got a paddleboard to fill in time on water.

Peter

User
Posted 03 Jan 2022 at 09:39

Yes to the HT effect wearing off by evidence of 'randiness'- for me it seemed to return suddenly and I sort of felt like a teenager being turned on by by anything and seemingly regular erections.
Peter

That's pretty funny Peter and possibly a good thing that it wasn't permanent.

Jules

User
Posted 03 Jan 2022 at 18:33
Yes, at the time I was 'dog sitting' so whilst walking the dogs around country fields it wasn't a problem as didn't come across anyone but must say I was a bit careful whilst walking in to Melton for an espresso as to 'how I looked'. Think it was summer 2019 and pretty warm weather so no long coats to hide any embarrassment.

Peter

User
Posted 28 Feb 2022 at 11:54

After my last hormone therapy jab ran out in Dec 2020, my Testosterone returned between Oct-Dec 2021 (measured at 19.7nmol/l in Dec).

Some things I've noticed which I wasn't necessarily expecting...

I'd always been quite happy with low room temperatures, but over the past few years which does coincide with hormone therapy, I'd got less tolerant to this and had the heating turned up higher. I seem to be OK with lower room temperatures again now, so I now think this may be related to hormone therapy.

As mentioned in another thread, breast pain and I think some breast growth kicked off again when my Testosterone returned. I had stopped taking Tamoxifen a while back, but still available on prescription, so I restarted it and that's fixed this.

My blood glucose levels which were at the low end of normal before treatment had increased to the high end of normal. My monthly readings have been coming back down for a few months now and this morning are back to low end of normal. Emphasises the importance of monitoring blood glucose levels while on hormone therapy. Anyone starting out from a higher level my well go into pre-diabetes or even diabetes.

However, my weight has, if anything, gone up in last few months. Need some better cycling weather.

Edited by member 28 Feb 2022 at 12:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Feb 2022 at 13:21

Need some better cycling weather.

Pah, same here. We've been deluged with record breaking rain for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks for the post. Always interesting to pick up details on stuff that medical people can't tell us.

Jules

User
Posted 28 Feb 2022 at 13:28
๐Ÿ™„๐ŸŒงโ˜”๐Ÿšตโ€โ™€๏ธ

We have both recently purchased new road bikes which are sitting forlornly in the garage with all the others! John is taking his out to France next week and hoping to get a few hundred KMs under his belt ... which has had to be loosened a number of notches recently. Perhaps you should jump in the car and join him there Andy?

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 13:42

Just had an oncology consultation 33 months after the radiotherapy, and 16 months after hormone therapy ran out. This was my first face-to-face consultation for over 3 years. Testosterone has stabilised around 19.5 and PSA crept up to 0.03 (it will almost certainly go higher). Consultant and I very pleased with results so far. As I said to him, I almost wouldn't know anything had been done. Still have rectal bleeding occasionally, but it's minor and painless and not a QoL issue. Had it checked by colorectal and they can see radiation proctitis (radiation burn to rectum). A few weeks ago, I got one of the NHS bowel screening tests in the post. I waited a few days until I'd had no visible bleeding and did it, and it's come back clear.

I now switch to 6-monthly PSA testing and consultations (although consultations have never managed to be that frequent even when they were supposed to be).

I had naively assumed the weight I'd put on during HT would roll off, but not a bit of it. Indeed it started to go up faster when Testosterone returned. So keeping a better eye on diet and doing lots more cycling now the weather is getting better. Not losing much weight as yet, but a noticeable reduction in body fat and increase in muscle, which is good.

Edited by member 10 May 2022 at 13:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 13:56
Sounds good andy. Did you have any treatment at all for the rectal bleeding.? . Think i have read somewhere there is some foam you can use or similar ? Im currently waiting for an appt for an 'inspection'. Cheers!
User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 00:24

That must be very re-assuring news Andy. It's such a long wait to pass the 5 year survival point yet alone the 10 year mark but things are looking good for you.

Interesting about the weight gain but if that's the worst of it you're laughing.

Jules

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 04:27

Sounds good andy. Did you have any treatment at all for the rectal bleeding.? . Think i have read somewhere there is some foam you can use or similar ? Im currently waiting for an appt for an 'inspection'. Cheers!

I had an inspection, which confirmed radiation proctitis. It wasn't sufficiently thorough to rule out bleeding from elsewhere though. Just before the PCa diagnosis, I'd had a sigmoidoscopy screening to check for bowel cancer, and that came back completely clear, and you can't generally get bowel cancer so soon after a clear screening. I'm told they don't do the routine sigmoidoscopy screening anymore, it's just poo-on-a-stick nowadays. At the recent colorectal inspection, the consultant said there's no need to do anything about it, as it's not serious or making me anemic, but she did give me the rectal steroid foam to try if I wanted to. I haven't done that yet as it was getting better by itself, but it may have reached the limit on that and perhaps I should.

My oncologist was also surprised by the gynecomastia on return of Testosterone as he hadn't come across that before, and asked if the Tamoxifen was working, which it is - instantly stopped the pain, and has also reversed the breast gland growth, almost to nothing. It has no effect on breast fat growth (moobs) though. I've been able to steadily reduce the Tamoxifen dose - initially until the pain returned, but I think that's probably finished now and just continuing long enough to completely reverse the breast gland growth, which is almost done now.

Edited by member 11 May 2022 at 04:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 08:52

Andy62 

Good to hear things are going well, hope it continues for a long time.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Jun 2022 at 02:41

My GP is starting to catch up with routine stuff like blood tests, and with them not having done one since a while before COVID (and not being able to see the copious tests the hospital has done during that period), they did a whole load of routine ones, some of which I'd never had before (HbA1c, Thyroid, B12/folate). I took the opportunity to ask for PSA and Testosterone to be added, which they did.

PSA has risen from 0.03 to 0.04 which is expected as my prostate wakes up after Testosterone returned.

I thought my Testosterone had settled at around 19.5 as last two readings were around that, but this time it's come back as 26.5 and flagged as above the normal range for my age. It's not much above the max limit they give (25.7), but can't help thinking that having a high Testosterone level is probably not the best idea after prostate cancer, and it might still be going up. This got me thinking, I've been taking small amounts of Tamoxifen (10mg every 3 days) to prevent gynecomastia which reappeared when my Testosterone returned. Could the Tamoxifen be raising Testosterone levels? Well, the answer would appear to be yes, according to the paper The Role of Estrogen Modulators in Male Hypogonadism and Infertility, although that would only apply if you aren't on hormone therapy (so don't worry about taking Tamoxifen if you're on hormone therapy). I finished on Tamoxifen 2 weeks before the blood test, but it takes longer than that for it to leave your system. However, I'd been on Tamoxifen for 2 months before the second of the "stable" Testosterone readings, and that one hadn't changed as a result of being on Tamoxifen. So I can't tell yet if the Tamoxifen after finishing hormone therapy has increased my Testosterone - I'll have a better idea if I get another Testosterone test in a few months.

I have no idea what my level was before hormone therapy, as it was never measured.

Good news was all the other blood test levels were in the normal range which is the first time since just before starting hormone therapy, except my kidney function which has always been slightly below par, but has not got any worse in the last 10 years so no one seems concerned.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2022 at 02:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2022 at 02:19

Good to see everything is going nicely.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Jun 2022 at 14:40

Glad you're happy with your results as I know you put a lot of research into it.

I had a routine health check in Jan 2021 and asked for my psa to be included which they agreed to do on the understanding I would refer any questions to the hospital.  It came back 0.08 which was quite a surprise as their undetectable is <0.06. 

So I rang the hospital I'm under the care of to give me a test and it came back <0.05.  Unfortunately 10 months later the test came out detectable at 0.06 which made me wonder if I'd had a pre-warning of something stirring.

Although someone on here wrote a health screening psa test might be done to less accuracy expecting a high result.  So it could be a bit risky for someone without a prostate to have such a test although it doesn't look that way for your test.  Peter

Edited by member 26 Jun 2022 at 14:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2022 at 15:31

This can happen when the test is done at different labs. It is well known in my area that if you take a blood sample, split it in two and send half to the path lab at Harrogate Infirmary and half to the path lab at St James' Hospital (which most GPs and most of the private hospitals in the area also use), the reading will be higher at Harrogate. Urologists at St James' take that into account when deciding whether there is a concern.

We tried it once with Dad and right enough, the two readings were 0.32 and 0.30 

Interestingly, John once had his PSA test at the GP at 8.30 and then at the hospital an hour or so later. Both tested at the same lab, the results were 0.10 and then 0.068 - urologist said it can sometimes be slightly higher first thing in the morning 

Edited by member 26 Jun 2022 at 15:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2022 at 15:51

I appear to have celebrated the good HbA1c result (diabetes screening) by eating a bar of chocolate and half a packet of biscuits. Oh dear...

I've always been a bit concerned about getting diabetes because my mum had it for a while, and so I do monthly fasting blood glucose finger prick tests which have been OK, even when the hormone therapy pushed it up. However, this was the first HbA1c test I've had (which measures average blood glucose over last 90 days).

User
Posted 26 Jun 2022 at 15:53

I appear to have celebrated the good HbA1c result (diabetes screening) by eating a bar of chocolate and half a packet of biscuits. Oh dear...

Ha ha - what kind of biscuits? 

User
Posted 01 Mar 2023 at 23:55

It's now 3½ years since RT finished and 2¼ years since the last HT injection ran out, and 1 year since everything was just about back to normal.

I had an oncology consultation this week. I was on 6 monthly consultations but I pushed it out to 10 months because my GP had done an extra PSA/Testosterone test as part of a battery of other tests which was fine, I didn't have any problems I needed to talk to the oncologist about, and I know he's snowed under with work. PSA hasn't changed in the last 7 months and is 0.04, having risen from <0.01 as my Testosterone came back (PSA graph). Oncologist pleased. (Me too.) He asked about urinary, rectal, and erectile function, and all are normal. Still have minor rectal bleeding (quite frequent but small amounts, painless, and not incontinent), which I can ask for another referral to colorectal if I want. It has no impact on QoL, but might hide any future bowel cancer. Also asked about breasts where I have more tissue than I had before, but I think I'll just have to live with that. The Tamoxifen reduced breast glands to barely detectable, but there's still breast fat which wasn't there before treatment (and Tamoxifen has no effect on that).

He's now moved me to annual consultations, although PSA tests are still 6-monthly. Also asked me to get another Testosterone test in a year, I think because he's interested in following the graph I produce (as have several clinicians been) rather than because it's likely to be of any ongoing clinical relevance.

Sorry Lyn, can't remember what the biscuits were, but very likely something cheap like crunch creams for which I have an embarrassing soft spot.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 00:48
Really happy to see this - what a positive advert you are for RT/HT and your oncologist sounds great!

Personally, I am a sucker for a jam sandwich cream.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 07:25

Great to hear about your success story on HT/RT route Andy62. I hope mine is as successful.

Derek

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 07:28

Andy, great news and a very informative post, I hope it continues for many years. A big thanks for all the help and information you and the other scholars give us.

Like the drop box link.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 14:13

Hi Andy,

Great results good to see some successful  Brachytherapy treatment long may it last.

Regards John.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 16:38

Well done Andy!

I find the graph very interesting as it shows my oncologists thoughts....He believes that the the psa is inhibited at levels below 1.0 testosterone. I've never seen this data shown before so many thanks.

I'm a year or so behind you so I always look with interest on your posts. I will post an update later this year.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 17:12

Testosterone levels came up in conversation at The FOPS support group last night. Someone who had seen my PSA graph asked why their own Testosterone was higher (1.something nmol/L) on Prostap. The urologist said Zoladex does keep Testosterone lower than Prostap, but they're both low enough to suppress PSA.

I read the Zoladex test data some time ago, and their aim was to keep Testosterone ≤1.2nmol/L, although it seems it usually does significantly better than this. 1.2nmol/L is sometimes given as the castrate level, although there's no universal agreement on what the castrate level is, and values between 0.7 and 1.7nmol/L are used in different places.

I think that having a very low level (<0.7) when you're on time-limited hormone therapy as part of radiotherapy probably isn't important, but I can't help wondering if it might me more important if you're on lifelong hormone therapy and trying to put off castrate resistance for as long as possible.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 17:22
Thanks for the graph Andy. Round here the doctors don't measure testosterone, so it is reassuring to know where I am on the curve.

(Six months out from stopping Zoladex, feeling subjective signs of testosterone returning, but clearly not properly back. Looks from your experience that normal service might resume in 3-6 months).

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 20:32

Great report Andy. I'm the same treatment as you and about six months ahead of you. I only had two testosterone tests, but then everything returned to normal about 12 months post RT so I didn't have another testosterone test. I'm signed off from the oncologist though the urologist found my file after mislaying it for four years and now wants to follow me up. My PSA bobs around between 0.1 to 0.2. It's up to me how often to have a PSA test, I'll probably have them every six months for a while.

Dave

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 05:36
Great news Andy, really pleased things are going so well for you x
User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 22:59
Excellent news Andy! I do find yours (and Lyn's!) posts fascinating .... you pair should join forces and write a book....could just be a best seller I reckon :) I've just read Lyn's post imagining your Prostate as an Orange whilst describing Nerve sparing RP/Margin's .... cracking stuff, never really understood margin's previously.

Anyway, a HUGE thanks for the all the advice to date (inc organizing FOPS) and the very best of luck going forward!

ps you can't beat a dark chocolate hobnob :)

Cheers,

Nick

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 23:30
ps you can't beat a dark chocolate hobnob :)

The work of the devil - only thing worse than dark chocolate hobnobs is a chocolate orange

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 23:30

Great stuff Andy. I've screen grabbed the graph and your comment for reference. Peter

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 08:00
Great news Andy, your incite and knowledge sharing are a tremendous boon to us lesser mortals traveling on the same journey.

Keep going fella.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 08:11

Great news Andy onwards and upwards ๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 08:24

Thanks for the graph Andy. Round here the doctors don't measure testosterone, so it is reassuring to know where I am on the curve.

(Six months out from stopping Zoladex, feeling subjective signs of testosterone returning, but clearly not properly back. Looks from your experience that normal service might resume in 3-6 months).

You could ask for Testosterone to be added to your PSA test. It's negligible extra expense in the same blood phile, and useful during the period of recovering from coming off HT. A few places such as UCLH do Testosterone with all PSA tests for patients on or after HT. My oncologist offered it during recovery from HT, and my GP did the much earlier test at my request. Unfortunately, I never had it measured before HT, so I don't know what my normal level was before treatment. One expert in this field thinks it should be measured before starting HT, so you know roughly what it should be returning to afterwards as there's a wide range of normal levels.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2023 at 08:16
Well done Andy - we both had similar treatment & things went OK for me, too.

I hope this helps people at the start or diagnosis of this illness.

HT & RT takes longer, but no surgery being involved, was a big plus for me.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 14:09

My next 6-monthly PSA test has just come in at 0.04, so it hasn't changed in just over a year which I'm obviously very pleased with. This marks 5 years since my original PSA test which kicked all this off, and 4 years since my radiotherapy. I feel very lucky, but also a sense of survivors guilt. I am in a much better situation than I ever imagined at the outset, while also being only too well aware I was a high risk patient, and recurrence is always a possibility.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 14:25

Brilliant new Andy, long may it continue for you.๐Ÿ˜Š

My anxiety levels are building up a bit to my 3 month post RT PSA test on 14th August. It was 0.9 before RT, just hope it’s come down a bit from that But I really don’t know what to expect.

Derek

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 15:06

Andy , great news, no need to feel guilty, many of us have benefitted from what you and other members have brought to this and other forums. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 15:40

Great news Andy long may it last,I am at 6 years ten months with a PSA test due next month.I feel the same as you with guilt about doing  so well and having so little problems over the years.

I still sign in every day to offer advice to  members that have or are thinking about brachytherapy.

John.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 16:12

I too suffer from survivor's guilty as you put it. You may have noticed I am quite active and every now and then I respond to any questions men/wives/partners ask about prostatectomy and living with its side effects. My wife and I feel that we have been extremely lucky to have survived and still enjoying our life together following surgery over 12 years ago. My wife always edits my writing before I post a message and makes sure that it has the right tone. When I was diagnosed robotic-prostatectomy was in its infancy and there was very little help before and after my treatment. My surgery lasted over 6 hours and very difficult and the recovery wasn't any easier. Facing this disease can be a very lonely business and forums like this provides a comforting place to talk to one another.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 16:25

Great news Andy. I definitely have sympathy for those in a worse position, but don't feel guilty, it's not like we kicked someone else out of a lifeboat on the Titanic to grab our own place. It's bad luck to get PCa and good luck to get cured.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 16:36
Bravo!

Try to avoid the survivors' guilt thing - you were there in that situation and now you give back ten-fold. If anyone should feel a pang of remorse it is the person who recovers from a life threatening situation and then causes only harm to others with their life.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 16:42

Please, nobody feel guilty! It’s too early for me to know what my future holds but what I DO know is that you guys that have been through it and come out the other end with positive conclusions keep me going and looking forward to the future with hope. This forum has been a fantastic support to me and helped me cope with this awful disease. I do feel compassion and sympathy for those who’s outcome is not so good, but it could be any one of us in the future, and this forum will help us get through whatever the PCa throws at us.

Good Luck to everyone of us…and for all those wives/partners of PCa who are members, I admire your bravery and courage to come on here and engage in the many discussions we have.

Derek

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 17:35

Fantastic new Andy. 

Ido4