I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why I'm here

User
Posted 02 Oct 2019 at 05:08

In June I had an episode of epididymitis - a real ball ache. At the time the urologist said he may as well do a DRE, found some enlargement, and requested a PSA. This was raised and led to an MRI which revealed a couple of intracapsular nodules. Then had a transrectal biopsy this has shown a Gleason score of 3+4. Waiting to discuss treatment options.

I should add that I also have significant diverticular disease and am waiting on a possible Anterior Resection for that.

Would also like to add that although the hospital information leaflet regarding after effects of biopsy mentioned "blood in the semen" this was a gross understatement; one week after biopsy it looked like blackcurrant syrup, and if it had occurred on white bed sheets it would have produced a scene worthy of The Exorcist.

I'll return when I know more.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2019 at 08:44

Hello Artyfartblast,
Sorry you find yourself here.

You're dead right about semen - if I hadn't read some forums before (it was a US one, hadn't found this one at the time), it would have been quite alarming. The Casualty and Holby City makeup artists would have been envious.

Took 3 weeks for semen to return to normal (can take up to 6 weeks). It goes brown (scar coloured) after a few days as the blood goes stale (well, literally turns into different oxidation state, just like a scab does).

Edited by member 02 Oct 2019 at 08:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Oct 2019 at 09:11
Yep. Should be the colour of brown sauce a few days after the biopsy!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Oct 2019 at 19:26

Chris, spot on.

Thank you.