I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA level rise

User
Posted 02 Nov 2019 at 01:02

Hi guys - I’m sad I’m here. But I’m with my other half who’s an absolute tower of strength in supporting me on this journey. Anyway last May I was diagnosed with Prostate Ca which is also present in hip. Plus a couple of wee hotspots. The original PSA was 468 on diagnosis and had fallen to 1.1 then up to 15 at yesterday’s meeting with dr. I feel absolutely fine, no aches or peeing differently. I have a great appetite and feel a fraud. My treatment is monthly Fermagon injection. Obviously I’v spoken to Ca nurse who is a bit flummoxed at the raised level despite my feeling better than I have in a long time. I will be seeing consultants for obvious MRI etc but I’ll be honest I’m terrified. My mother has recently passed and for several months I was personally overseeing everything on her behalf plus went through a very dirty divorce. What I would like to know is if anyone else has had similar and what was their outcome. I’m having bloods redone in 6 weeks to check not a glitch but I’m scared the Ca has spread. But would I display symptoms. Thank you for support. 

User
Posted 02 Nov 2019 at 23:25

Hi, I can't offer much help but I'm answering as posts slip down the page and out if they aren't answered.  That happens if there isn't a lot of traffic. 

People like to read details in the profile as it helps to reply if you wanted to fill it out a bit with your Gleason score and staging.

All the best.  Peter

User
Posted 03 Nov 2019 at 00:16
Do they test your testosterone level when they do your PSA test? The issue is not whether or not it has spread further, it is the fact that the cancer is active while supposedly being starved of testosterone.

There are two possibilities:-

- the Firmagon is not effectively stopping testosterone production so the cancer is still able to feed, or

- the cancer has learnt to survive without testosterone (this is also referred to as being castrate resistant or hormone independent)

A testosterone test would indicate which case applies to you. If your testosterone is above castrate level, it could just be that they need to change you to Prostap or Zoladex to see if they work better, or will add bicalutimide to disguise whatever testosterone is still floating around. Occasionally, a PSA rise is simply down to a problem with one injection .... it wasn’t injected correctly, or hadn’t been stored correctly or was just from a bad batch.

If you are below castrate level and have become castrate resistant, they will either add an extra hormone treatment (enzalutimide, Abiraterone, etc., or maybe bicalutimide) or they may suggest chemo. Chemo for prostate cancer is usually fairly well tolerated and for many men, makes the hormones work much better.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard