I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy appointment

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 13:38

My partner had an appointment for a biopsy last Friday; they sent him home because he'd vomited that morning. The staff nurse said she would try to get it rescheduled asap (it was already 3 weeks since seeing the consultant), and for an afternoon slot - we have an hour's journey to the hospital so 7.30am appointments are a nightmare. Today we got notification of an appointment in 10 days time, and 7.30 am again. Which really helps....it'll then be more than 5 weeks since we saw the consultant. My partner has rung them and is trying to get a different appointment - we just hope that won't be even later.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 14:43
I know this will be of very little comfort to you, but most prostate cancers (if he is eventually diagnosed with one) are very slow-growing, so a week or a month here or there will make no difference to the overall prognosis.

Please bear in mind that prostate cancer is about the least worst one to get, with fifteen-year survival rates at around 98% with appropriate treatment.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 20:32
Very sorry to hear that. I've been on bicalutimide myself for 18 months now and have been fortunate in experiencing few side-effects. I hope that oncologist can find a hormone treatment that your partner's able to tolerate.

Best wishes,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 14:43
I know this will be of very little comfort to you, but most prostate cancers (if he is eventually diagnosed with one) are very slow-growing, so a week or a month here or there will make no difference to the overall prognosis.

Please bear in mind that prostate cancer is about the least worst one to get, with fifteen-year survival rates at around 98% with appropriate treatment.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 15:56

I'm just upset because I'd hoped for a quicker appointment.....I can appreciate that the time delay may not cause much of a problem, but I still worry about it. My partner is getting a lot of hip/leg/sciatic pain, which is really getting him down, and scaring me in case it's bone mets (tho to be fair, he's had sciatica for several years....tho could it have been the cancer all along?). He had a bone scan, but we don't know the results yet. He had an MRI of lower spine 2 years ago, looking into the sciatica, and that was fine. Hoping to see the GP soon to sort out the pain medication, among other things....he's spending a fair part of the day in bed because he's only comfortable lying down.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 16:19
What's his PSA?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 16:47

It was 800 a month ago.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 17:31
Ok. With a PSA of 800 many oncologists wouldn't bother with a biopsy but would go directly to a bone scan, because I'm afraid when it's that high it definitely means that it's advanced cancer which has spread to other parts of the body. The bone scan will show where it's spread to. Has he been started on hormone therapy yet?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 19:01

He's had a bone scan, but we don't know the results yet. He started on bicalutamide a month ago, but came off it last week because it was giving him nausea and vomiting.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 20:32
Very sorry to hear that. I've been on bicalutimide myself for 18 months now and have been fortunate in experiencing few side-effects. I hope that oncologist can find a hormone treatment that your partner's able to tolerate.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 17:50

He went back on the bicalutamide last weekend, with an anti-emetic which has helped a lot. Had the rescheduled biopsy today - the 7.30 start, we're both shattered. The doctor also told him the bone scan was positive - can't say I'm surprised, but I had hoped maybe....I guess we'll find out more detail in a couple of weeks at the follow-up. They've also sent word to the GP to get the hormone injections under way, and that he can come off the bical 10 days after that.