Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Been A while

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 20:02

Hi,

It has been a while since I last posted or chipped in to help other people on this board. I have found my self with a challange I never expected.

I was rushed into hospital before Christmas (first time in an ambulance) extremely poorly. Turns out I had developed pneumonia. The hospital kept me in bed as they suspected my illness was a symptom of my spinal cord compression. An MRI scan showed it was not the case. My spine is doing OK after the radiotherapy.

However, the pneumonia has completely debilitated me. I was released from hospital on Christmas eve after a week on the understanding my bed was brought downstairs as I have a toilet there. I was given a zimmer frame to get around, and frankly I have never felt so ill in all my life. I actually thought this might be "it" 

Slowly but surely the anti biotics worked and my lungs are now completely fine. I am getting physio to try to regain my strength and have been told it could take up to 6 months to have my full strength back. Remember I have walked a minimum of 5-8 miles every single day for the last three years since I first started chemo so being house bound for over a month is very hard mentally.

I have had to get a stair lift put in so I can access upstairs bathroom which is a proper disabled wet room so I could start to feel human again.

Had an appointment with head oncologist today, so first time out of the house in over a month. Bit scary as I can only walk a few paces with a walking stick. Good new is that I am actually responding to Stybistrol! In August last year my PSA was nearly 1700. Today it is down to 326! was told that although I am top of the list for a new trial, whilst the Stybistrol is working they will wait until it stops working. That leaves me to focus on regaining my strength.

Was told that the fact I was as fit as I could possibly be before getting pneumonia has probably saved my life as although I was fit, my body does not have any reserves of energy left to fight any thing, let alone something as serious as this.

I have been thrown a serious curved ball which is now a challange I never expected, but now looking forward to beating this thing and getting back to normal, what ever that is!

Best regards

User
Posted 31 Jan 2020 at 00:05
Orm I am so sorry to hear about the pneumonia and how hard it has been to get back any kind of normality but wow! Good old Stilboestrol - sometimes the old ones are the best!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard