I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Staging

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 15:33

Hi All. This is my first post but I have been following the forum for quite some time now and all the posts and support you give is truly amazing.

My husband has been diagnosed a month ago and was wondering if anybody could simplify his grading for us. The letter states: T2 abnormality

3+4 in 1 out of 6 cores on the right, 2% of the core

But on the left side 6 out of 9 cores, 3+4=7 with less than 10% but 40% of the core involved.

I understand the Gleason scoring but unsure of the core values. It's taken a while to get my head around his diagnosis but we are getting there and he is a lot stronger than me with the news. Thank you.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 20:33
If you imagine sticking a very thin straw into a fruit cake and then slowly pulling it out, the section of cake that is inside the straw is one core. They are looking for how many cherries there might be in the cake. In your husband's case they have stuck 6 straws into his left side and 9 into his right side. When they have looked at the section of cake inside the straws they found:

Left side - one straw had some cancer (cherry) but it was only 2% of the cake in the straw, the other 98% was clear (had no cherries at all)

Left side - the other 5 straws were clear

Right side - 6 of the straws had cancer in them and between 10% and 40% of the cake in each straw was cancerous (so they can see lots of bits of cherry but also lots of normal cake)

Right side - 3 straws were clear

Basically, they found a tiny amount of cancer on the left and rather more on the right but no cores were half cancer or worse.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 21:27
Most importantly, from the T2 staging is that it is thought that the cancer is contained within the Prostate which if this proves to be correct means surgery has a very good chance of removing all of it.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 20:33
If you imagine sticking a very thin straw into a fruit cake and then slowly pulling it out, the section of cake that is inside the straw is one core. They are looking for how many cherries there might be in the cake. In your husband's case they have stuck 6 straws into his left side and 9 into his right side. When they have looked at the section of cake inside the straws they found:

Left side - one straw had some cancer (cherry) but it was only 2% of the cake in the straw, the other 98% was clear (had no cherries at all)

Left side - the other 5 straws were clear

Right side - 6 of the straws had cancer in them and between 10% and 40% of the cake in each straw was cancerous (so they can see lots of bits of cherry but also lots of normal cake)

Right side - 3 straws were clear

Basically, they found a tiny amount of cancer on the left and rather more on the right but no cores were half cancer or worse.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 20:45

Thank you LynEyre that makes so much sense now.  Thank you. Just have to get through the surgery soon now as that’s what he’s opted for.

Best Wishes

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 21:27
Most importantly, from the T2 staging is that it is thought that the cancer is contained within the Prostate which if this proves to be correct means surgery has a very good chance of removing all of it.
Barry