I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radium223

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 08:59

Hy everyone,I'm currently halfway through radium223 treatment 3 off 6,thinking of pulling plug I don't think I want to do side effects for another 3 months after feeling sh### for the last 3 months ,just a few good days,don't know what else there is ??Disappointed to say the least.Thought I would have side effects but not as bad as this.Worse than chemo.Geoff 

User
Posted 18 Feb 2020 at 12:13
Hi Steven I have had similar SE to Chemo ,nausea, diarrhoea acute tiredness (to the point tears)some bone pain,couple of sharp pains in ear,loss of appetite, general feeling of being unwell, (like a hangover without the fun bit).On the good side I seem to be moving around a bit better.I take quite a lot of pain killers ,80m.Zomorph,Gabapentin, backed up with Oramorph and Paracetamol. I'm going to talk to oncologist before I have my next Radium 223 which will be the fourth one .Still not sure what to do.Hope it's not to bad for you ,take care Geoff
User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 23:40
Hy Steven ,I have an infusion of zoledronic acid before I have radium 223 all on same day.I have just had fourth one. Radium doc said SE of Z acid much the same as R 223 .I decided to carry on with my treatment although that may change because of corona crisis. This fourth one SE not quite so bad so far.Consultant said hopefully radium will shrink tumours and help with pain .It may also reduce the risk of spinal cord compression.All the best Geoff.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 17:25
You should talk to your onco, Geoff but I get where you are coming from. Radium 223 does not 'treat' prostate cancer as other systemic treatments do ... its purpose is to reduce the symptoms of bone mets and improve quality of life so if your quality of life is awful due to the treatment, it seems counterintuitive to carry on with it.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 19:17
Thank you for the reply Lynn ,my other half said much the same.cheers Geoff
User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 23:33
Hi Geoff,

I’d be interested on your SE on the Radium. Iam due to start that in 2 days and was advised that SE were minimal or what I should be looking out for. I understand what Lynn mentioned that it doesn’t do treatment but helps symptoms. It’s been 3 months since last chemo and as such no treatment til now. Iam beginning to feel all the aches and pains and after 5 years starting to feel “know what, I think there’s something wrong with me”

Cheers

Steven

User
Posted 18 Feb 2020 at 12:13
Hi Steven I have had similar SE to Chemo ,nausea, diarrhoea acute tiredness (to the point tears)some bone pain,couple of sharp pains in ear,loss of appetite, general feeling of being unwell, (like a hangover without the fun bit).On the good side I seem to be moving around a bit better.I take quite a lot of pain killers ,80m.Zomorph,Gabapentin, backed up with Oramorph and Paracetamol. I'm going to talk to oncologist before I have my next Radium 223 which will be the fourth one .Still not sure what to do.Hope it's not to bad for you ,take care Geoff
User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 17:14
Hi Geoff,

Just had my second radium treatment and now like you feel bloody awful. Can’t put one foot in front of the other, extreme tiredness and breathless, bone pain, mood swings and just feel like sh***.

I was ok after first one but ARI changed my aledronic acid weekly tablet to a three month infusion zoledronic acid. I was wondering if this had anything to do with it as I seem to have most of the SE.

Anyone else on the zoledronic acid and has SE’s

Steven

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 23:40
Hy Steven ,I have an infusion of zoledronic acid before I have radium 223 all on same day.I have just had fourth one. Radium doc said SE of Z acid much the same as R 223 .I decided to carry on with my treatment although that may change because of corona crisis. This fourth one SE not quite so bad so far.Consultant said hopefully radium will shrink tumours and help with pain .It may also reduce the risk of spinal cord compression.All the best Geoff.
User
Posted 22 Mar 2020 at 12:30
Thanks Geoff, that sounds positive that se have reduced. Hoping Iam the same! Just feels a bit worst being cooped up in the house for the foreseeable!

Steven

User
Posted 22 Mar 2020 at 13:45
Good news that something in the radium is working, I have just cut the grass !!!Geoff
User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 11:19
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 11:08

I had my first injection of three so far (1 every 5 weeks, 3 more to follow) back in April. I  am so far pleased with results evidenced by blood tests but suffering distinct and worrying side effects. Bone pain in the ‘saddle‘ area of my lower back and severe nerve pain especially in the right groin and down the right leg. I was told this is unusual but that I should take ibuprofen and paracetamol together 4 times a day. I’ve since had my GP suggest a switch to codeine 4 times a day and Notriptyline before bed. The codeine caused constipation with little pain relief. Sleeping now is usually interrupted by pain and severe back aches. I don’t want to stop the treatments but handling this pain issue is ruining my daily life.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 13:02

Sorry to hear about your problems with pain. Have you tried a drug such as pregabalin or gabapentin? They can help with nerve pain and might be worth asking the doctor about.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 13:32

Thanks for the suggestion. One way or another I’m going to speak to the oncologist next week and I certainly will discuss other painkillers. Up to now I only get to speak to the nurse.