I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Glucose levels

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 21:18

Seem some info about reducing glucose and how it can potentially kill cancer cells. One book claimed it could work within 30 days.

Anyway the jist of what I have researched, is that if you go on a keto diet and use diabetic medication which manages to reduce glucose, then it may just kill cancer. However I did also read that in the absence of glucose, cancer cells can turn fat into glucose....

Im posting this to see if anyone is aware of any benefits of reducing glucose in your body and maintaining a ketogenic diet. Im sure if it was the cure then those writing about this would be completely loaded and sitting on some beach somewhere :-)

I have asked medical profession about a keto diet but I was advised to eat crisps and stuff like that to keep my weight up when I go on chemo next week.....

Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this :-).  

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 23:39

Metformin is a drug given to diabetics which has also been found to be effective in reducing the side effects of HT and possibly also in controlling PCa. There is a Metformin arm to the Stampede clinical trail. There is currently also a trial of Metformin for men with localised PCA - see here

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-at-metformin-for-early-prostate-cancer-metal 

It is well known that reducing sugar intake is good for you, and lots of data linking it with cancer progression (although no absolute evidence) but a keto diet is quite extreme so you should get advice from your GP and or consultant before making significant changes to your diet, and at least wait until your chemo is finished. 

Edited by member 08 Mar 2020 at 23:41  | Reason: to activate the hyperlink

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 16:21

Prostate cancer is driven less by sugar than many other cancers. (This makes it harder to scan for.)