Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain after radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 08:36

Good Morning, 

I had my radical prostatectomy 3 weeks ago, the operation itself was a breeze, but I had a catheter in for two weeks Wich was horrendous, anyway the catheter has been gone a week and feeling good apart from my groin, it feels like I have had boiling water poured on it, but there isn't even a red mark, my GP said it will be nerve regeneration and should hopefully get better, pain killers don't seem to help, walking is very painful and it is really getting me down, the GP prescribed Gabapentin 300mg, I was  wondering if anybody else has had this pain? And how long did it last. As I said before I'm feeling great otherwise, I was worried about incontinence and I've not had a problem just the odd dribble now and again.

Wishing everybody a speedy recovery

Chris

User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 16:52
Millions of nerves in the area have been cut or burnt, and a lot more have been moved and bashed around. The burning sensation could be muddled messages as the nerves heal (a bit like when you have had an injection at the dentist but as it wears off, your tongue hurts). It should settle in a few weeks although nerve damage can sometimes take months to repair completely.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 17:07
It is early days for you. Remember you have had major surgery and things take a while to settle down. I agree that the catheter was horrendous and I couldn't wait to get it out. If it is any reassurance for you I am now five years down the line and life is good for which I am grateful. Very best. Gary.
User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 18:37
Many will have heard this before , but after my surgery my balls felt like they had been baseball-batted for about 3months. Pain I’ve never known before lol. And yet it took maybe 5 months before I could feel myself stroking my thighs
User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 23:14

Gosh I have been reading this forum since 2017 and keep learning!

baseballbatted balls ( 3 months)
numb thighs ( 5 months)

sensation of the groin being scalded with boiling water!

and people say this is ‘the best one’ !!

I hope it’s calming down Chris1965 ...fingers crossed

Heres hoping A’s PSA test goes the right way and I don’t have to share this new knowledge!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 16:52
Millions of nerves in the area have been cut or burnt, and a lot more have been moved and bashed around. The burning sensation could be muddled messages as the nerves heal (a bit like when you have had an injection at the dentist but as it wears off, your tongue hurts). It should settle in a few weeks although nerve damage can sometimes take months to repair completely.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 17:07
It is early days for you. Remember you have had major surgery and things take a while to settle down. I agree that the catheter was horrendous and I couldn't wait to get it out. If it is any reassurance for you I am now five years down the line and life is good for which I am grateful. Very best. Gary.
User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 18:37
Many will have heard this before , but after my surgery my balls felt like they had been baseball-batted for about 3months. Pain I’ve never known before lol. And yet it took maybe 5 months before I could feel myself stroking my thighs
User
Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 23:14

Gosh I have been reading this forum since 2017 and keep learning!

baseballbatted balls ( 3 months)
numb thighs ( 5 months)

sensation of the groin being scalded with boiling water!

and people say this is ‘the best one’ !!

I hope it’s calming down Chris1965 ...fingers crossed

Heres hoping A’s PSA test goes the right way and I don’t have to share this new knowledge!