I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Leak suggestions?

User
Posted 12 Apr 2020 at 10:48

Hi, Its been three months since prostate been removed and have felt great since.Almost dry at nights and sitting is fine and have managed to (almost) control gushing when I stand up.

I get a lot of leaking when I stand after crouching down and a bit when walking. Im doing the exercises regularly.

Any other stuff I can do to help this along please?

Thanks and stay safe.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2020 at 14:59
If you are almost dry at night, that is a good sign that there is no mechanical damage and it should all sort itself out but you may just have to be patient for a while longer. Are you definitely doing the pelvic floor exercises correctly? Often enough? Have you tried one of the PFE apps that can be downloaded onto your phone or tablet?

Leaking when shifting from crouching to standing or sitting to standing are both examples of stress incontinence ... conscious effort to tense before moving will become more effective with time. Leaking when walking may be more about the sub-conscious and unconscious .... it is hard for the brain to concentrate on bladder control while also processing walking, breathing, taking in the surroundings, possibly conversing with someone, etc. Either way, you seem to be making good progress for 3 months post-op so don't lose heart.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 16:04

Adam

There is a webinar presentation about incontinence at 7pm tonight if you have time.  Webinar meetings are a bit like zoom or face time but without video or sound from you. There will be question and answets but you type the questions or can send them before tonight once you register.

https://prostatecanceruk.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_dLWwyIKZQD6bNzdATcX6Sw

Far to soon to be getting concerned at the moment your joint will still be healing and you remaining sphincter may have suffered some trauma. If you can stop the urine mid stream that is always a good sign.

Thanks Chris

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t25666-Incontinence---One-of-the-Most-Feared-Problems-With-Prostate-Cancer-Treatment

Edited by member 30 Sep 2020 at 16:06  | Reason: Original link added

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 16:24

At 4 weeks post op I wouldn't be too concerned as its still very early days. Through the first few weeks once I had the urge to go I certainly didn't have long ( think a lot less than 10 mins) And I think given you don't yet have full control yet then its natural to go a bit more frequently during the day. Typically you will find that it gets harder to control the leaks as the day progresses. I think at your stage by early afternoon I was leaking quite a bit. Just give it a bit of time. Walking and regular PFE's help a lot. 

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 17:47
Plus your brain is having to relearn the messages to and from your bladder & remaining sphincter, which may have been moved / repositioned.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 18:16

That was the symptom that set off my diagnosis.   'Urgency' the irresistible urge to pee.    Both my GP and the Urologist said it isn't particularly a Prostate Cancer sign.   My GP gave me a leaflet on Overactive Bladder.   Where you need to train your bladder / brain link.

With the recent operation as Lyn says above your brain is perhaps needing to re-adjust.   For me it just went away when I was diagnosed, probably with shock, I don't know.  But perhaps look up Overactive Bladder.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 13:17
At this stage, what you are experiencing is normal but if it persists for more than a few months, ask whether your NHS trust has a bladder training clinic - if so, get a referral.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Apr 2020 at 14:59
If you are almost dry at night, that is a good sign that there is no mechanical damage and it should all sort itself out but you may just have to be patient for a while longer. Are you definitely doing the pelvic floor exercises correctly? Often enough? Have you tried one of the PFE apps that can be downloaded onto your phone or tablet?

Leaking when shifting from crouching to standing or sitting to standing are both examples of stress incontinence ... conscious effort to tense before moving will become more effective with time. Leaking when walking may be more about the sub-conscious and unconscious .... it is hard for the brain to concentrate on bladder control while also processing walking, breathing, taking in the surroundings, possibly conversing with someone, etc. Either way, you seem to be making good progress for 3 months post-op so don't lose heart.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2020 at 15:05
Hi,Thanks for the reply. Im doing exercises approx 10 times a day?

Where can I get one of the apps you mention please?

Thanks,

Terry

User
Posted 12 Apr 2020 at 17:58

Terry

To many exercises can be counterproductive and to few can be ineffective. I used to do 20 contractions 3 or 4 times a day. Vary the length of contractions between short and long. 

The app I used is no longer available.NHS Squeezy for men as been mentioned a few times, it is £2.99 on the android platform, not used it so don't know how good it is. 

Sounds like you are making progress.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 15:45

This seemed a good place to ask my question....

I’m 4 weeks since my prostate was removed (RALP - nerve sparing), 2 ½ weeks since the catheter came out.  I feel I’m doing ok so far, maybe better than my expectations; Mostly, I’m getting up once in the night, usually around 4 -5am, I have a few lightish surges, no big leaks. My first morning pee can be 350ml ish

In the day, however, I’m peeing about 10 times and between 100 – 200ml.

I get the odd stress leak which I expected and am not too worried about – long term I will get over, I hope.

Where I am concerned is daytime urgency surges, I get a small leak, then within 10 mins a couple more, and I have to ‘go’, with some urgency. Depending on the delay (which I’m trying to stretch out) it can get a bit desperate.

I’m concerned about the frequency and the amount I’m doing, daytime.

Any direct experience and tips about delaying much appreciated.

I used (continuing) Squeezy Man; 10 long, 10 short squeezes, 3-4 x daily

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 16:04

Adam

There is a webinar presentation about incontinence at 7pm tonight if you have time.  Webinar meetings are a bit like zoom or face time but without video or sound from you. There will be question and answets but you type the questions or can send them before tonight once you register.

https://prostatecanceruk.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_dLWwyIKZQD6bNzdATcX6Sw

Far to soon to be getting concerned at the moment your joint will still be healing and you remaining sphincter may have suffered some trauma. If you can stop the urine mid stream that is always a good sign.

Thanks Chris

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t25666-Incontinence---One-of-the-Most-Feared-Problems-With-Prostate-Cancer-Treatment

Edited by member 30 Sep 2020 at 16:06  | Reason: Original link added

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 16:24

At 4 weeks post op I wouldn't be too concerned as its still very early days. Through the first few weeks once I had the urge to go I certainly didn't have long ( think a lot less than 10 mins) And I think given you don't yet have full control yet then its natural to go a bit more frequently during the day. Typically you will find that it gets harder to control the leaks as the day progresses. I think at your stage by early afternoon I was leaking quite a bit. Just give it a bit of time. Walking and regular PFE's help a lot. 

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 16:29
yes, booked on the seminar. yes, it is early days. Will try to be more patient!
User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 17:47
Plus your brain is having to relearn the messages to and from your bladder & remaining sphincter, which may have been moved / repositioned.

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 18:16

That was the symptom that set off my diagnosis.   'Urgency' the irresistible urge to pee.    Both my GP and the Urologist said it isn't particularly a Prostate Cancer sign.   My GP gave me a leaflet on Overactive Bladder.   Where you need to train your bladder / brain link.

With the recent operation as Lyn says above your brain is perhaps needing to re-adjust.   For me it just went away when I was diagnosed, probably with shock, I don't know.  But perhaps look up Overactive Bladder.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 11:56
Thanks Peter; diagnosis came the same way for me, frustrated with urgency, went to GP, that led to PSA, etc, etc, ending with RALP. And the same info from the professionals, the urgency is in all probability, not connected with the prostate cancer issue.

So far, my urgency hasn't gone away, but I guess I now understand what's going on. Spending half the day trying to 'hold on', or beating a path to the loo. Not as bad as some people's problems but it's a pain, all the same.

I need some tricks to delay. It is easy for people to say 'distract yourself' not so easy to do. Hypnotism? Yoga? Transcendental.....???

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 13:17
At this stage, what you are experiencing is normal but if it persists for more than a few months, ask whether your NHS trust has a bladder training clinic - if so, get a referral.