I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can anyone advise

User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 19:00

Hi can anyone help my blood pressure is 154/143 checked it a few times and still the same. I’m a bit concerned now 

Carl.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 23:30

You should book an appointment with your GP. It's not in blue light territory, but wants lowering.

Record blood pressure periodically at home until then, and take the record with you, together with your blood pressure monitor, so you can take a reading in the surgery and compare with the GP's blood pressure monitor (which is likely to be better calibrated).

The difference between your systolic and diastolic is very low. Are you extremely fit with aerobic exercise?

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 10:53
Maybe a silly question, but is the cuff the right size? A few years ago when I was diagnosed with high BP and was taking readings at home with a new machine, they were very very high - 250+. i knew they had to be wrong, and in fact I was using a cuff which was too small.

Hermit

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 14:29

Yes I’ve checked my wife’s blood pressure a few times and hers is ok. I waited over 90 mins for nhs direct only to be told to call my GP. 

Carl

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 15:30

Hi I take blood pressure pills and you need to speak to your surgery.I had an attack of gout last week and my surgery has a online diagnosis site that i used to order some pills for it maybe your surgery has the same or your doctor can talk to you on line.The only other thing to do is to go to A&E.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 11:18

I have hypertension, controlled by drugs, and allopurinol is well out of patent so it costs only pennies, in fact only £1.13 a month.

Ask your doc if you can give it a try, together with blood tests for uric acid levels.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2020 at 11:20  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 23:30

You should book an appointment with your GP. It's not in blue light territory, but wants lowering.

Record blood pressure periodically at home until then, and take the record with you, together with your blood pressure monitor, so you can take a reading in the surgery and compare with the GP's blood pressure monitor (which is likely to be better calibrated).

The difference between your systolic and diastolic is very low. Are you extremely fit with aerobic exercise?

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 10:53
Maybe a silly question, but is the cuff the right size? A few years ago when I was diagnosed with high BP and was taking readings at home with a new machine, they were very very high - 250+. i knew they had to be wrong, and in fact I was using a cuff which was too small.

Hermit

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 11:06

Carlos

Wise words from Andy. Have you checked the blood pressure of anyone else in the house, just in case the monitor has an issue.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 14:29

Yes I’ve checked my wife’s blood pressure a few times and hers is ok. I waited over 90 mins for nhs direct only to be told to call my GP. 

Carl

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 15:30

Hi I take blood pressure pills and you need to speak to your surgery.I had an attack of gout last week and my surgery has a online diagnosis site that i used to order some pills for it maybe your surgery has the same or your doctor can talk to you on line.The only other thing to do is to go to A&E.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 22:27

Hello

The lower diastolic figure is high.   What is the heart rate?   This figure is important too. 

This could be an error in the machine used.   It is best to seek advice if this does not lower. 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 01:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I had an attack of gout last week and my surgery has a online diagnosis site that i used to order some pills

I used to suffer badly from occasional attacks of gout, but I now take Allopurinol 100 mg daily and haven’t had a problem with it for years. I think they put me on 300 mg to start with, but I reduced it to 100 mg and it has been fine.

I hope the tabs work for you. 

Q: Who thinks gout is funny?

A: Anyone who has never had it!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 11:02

Hi Bollinge,

Hope you keeping safe i have had gout ever couple of years for the last 15 years or so and i have been told by a couple of people that they are on Allopurinol but when i asked my doctor about it he said as i was only getting it every couple of years he did not advise it and gave me a leaflet on it.I am still not sure if was because of my blood pressure, cost or something else.I don't want to take over this blog with my gout as our friends blood pressure problems are more important.Good luck all i must get back to my Port and prawns. 

Regards John.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 11:18

I have hypertension, controlled by drugs, and allopurinol is well out of patent so it costs only pennies, in fact only £1.13 a month.

Ask your doc if you can give it a try, together with blood tests for uric acid levels.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2020 at 11:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 19:53

Carlos - Wanted to thank you for your private message today, it really helped both me and my partner..  I would have replied but as I am new to the site I can't send the messages yet...  It would be good to keep in contact.. waiting for an appointment for a bone scan now to check the cancer hasnt spread and then will have to decide on next steps...

Thanks again..  Help83