Show search

Notification

Error

Dad just diagnosed. Need advice

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 17:03

Hiya all,

Hope you are all keeping well.

Sorry, i have not been in touch. Work has been so busy. No time to do anything else!

Dad has been keeping well so far. He has had 2 x 4 weekly Zoladex. The next implant will be a 12 weekly one.

He had the first telephone consultation with the Oncologist today (I can't remember her name) from Mount Vernon hospital. She seemed very rused. We didn't feel comfortable in asking her questions as much as we would like to have. She said that after the 12 weekly Zoladex implant, my dad would only need another one x 4 weekly and that will be it. No other hormone therapy. Not even after radiotherapy. This really surprised us as from everything i have read and people i have spoken to, all say that it is usually a total of 2 years for hormone therapy.

She said the Radiotherapy should start sometime in October. She will be sending a letter for the planning session. The Radiotherapy will be 20 sessions.

So my question is about the hormone therapy. Is 6 months enough? I asked her and she said there was no need to have anymore and didn't really answer my question!

I have a feeling these medical people don't like it when we ask questions but i am just so surprised and a bit worried as we scared about the reaccurance.. has anyone else had or heard of just 6 months of hormone therapy?

On another note, dad finds that taking evening primrose oil and sage (twice a day) has really helped with the hot flushes. He also does a lot of resistance exercises using bands and weights daily and walks 2 times a day ( 2 hrs in total). So far he has been OK.

Would really appreciate some advice on the hormone therapy.

Keep well and keep smiling!

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 18:56
Brilliant - I am sure that was music to your dad's ears. She is the onco and therefore very well qualified & probably very experienced - if she says he only needs 6 months, then you should perhaps trust her? Some men don't have any HT at all with their RT.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 21:23

Hi SR12, good to hear from you again. I'm glad your dad is tolerating the HT well, and the evening primrose and sage tablets are working. I'm also really glad the RT is getting planned and you now have a timescale for it. It is reassuring when you know the treatment is on its way.

The RT will hopefully be fairly none eventful. I sort of found it a bit surprising that having x-rays blasted at you for about two minutes most days for a month could kill cancer, but apparently it can.

The HT prior to RT will have weakened the cancer cells and will make the RT more effective. HT post RT is very common, but no HT is pleasant, so if it can be avoided all the better. 

I think if you asked people on this forum if they think they are cured of cancer or it has merely been put in remission and will return one day? Most would say they are in remission and they are just hoping the cancer has been delayed by a few years, and people are hoping that few years is perhaps twenty years or even longer. 

Your dad is 77 if the cancer can be put back ten years that will take him to 87, maybe with an extra two years of HT they could push the cancer back till he is 97. But he loses some Quality of Life and has increased risk of osteoporosis and other problems from no testosterone, all whilst he is under 80. Remember he may get run over by a bus at 85 so pushing the cancer back from 87 to 97 will be pointless. 

So I think I agree with Lyn, trust the onco, it may not be the right choice for a fifty year old, but it probably is for a 77 year old. 

Dave

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 23:08

So pleased to hear from both of you! Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. We were just so surprised. Didn't know if we should be happy or worried.

I didn't know that some men didn't even have HT before RT. I honestly just thought 18-24 months was the done thing.

Totally get the age thing too. Obviously we would like to have dad around until about 100! But we also don't want him to lose quality of life. Important to enjoy the life we have.

I hope dad's radiotherapy sessions are non eventful. He has a very high fibre diet at the moment, which we aware needs to change to low fibre. Hopefully we will get more info at the planning session. The phone consultation was really unhelpful. Literally like she was reading off a script.  I was expecting more from an Oncologist.

Evening primrose and sage defo helps my dad with hot flushes. I hope this helps anyone who reads this in the future. He gets about 1 hot flush daily around 8am, which lasts about 1min. Previous to evening primrose and sage, he was getting about 4/5 through out the day, lasting about 4min each time.

Dave, how is the libido now? How u getting on with coming off treatment ??

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 23:15

Sorry just remembered something else. I asked if dad needed a PSA test before radiotherapy. She said no. Only need to do one 3 months after radiotherapy and then every 3 months after that. Does this seem normal?

I guess it makes sense as he needs Radiotherapy anyway but would be nice to have a PSA to compare with?

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 00:05

Hi SR12, not much libido. I've just updated my "hooray off zoladex thread" so people can refer to it if they are interested in tracking my recovery.

Has dad had a psa since being on ADT? I had one after 3 months and it was quite reassuring. If he has had one and it showed the psa was less than 1.0 (even better if less than 0.1) then I wouldn't expect anymore psa tests until post RT. If he hasn't had any since being on ADT I wouldn't be happy, I would want to know that ADT had either worked or failed independant of the RT. 

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 00:16
There is little point doing a PSA test before the RT because the HT will be keeping it falsely low so it isn't going to be a reliable indicator afterwards. The pSA may rise a little after RT (this is called PSA bounce) and then settle down over the next 18 months. And while I would normally agree with Dave's comment about checking the PSA is less than 0.1, in this case it is not that straightforward as he has only been on it for 7-8 weeks I think?

Unless he is told by the RT team or has already been advised by the hospital, don't assume he needs to change to a low fibre diet - it applies to most but not all men. If unsure, ask for a diet sheet or a meeting with the dietician.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 09:52

Yes Lyn, this is his 6th week of HT. The Onco said the same as you, that there was no point in doing it now but will be done a few months after RT. 

As Dave said, i think it would just be reassuring to get it checked to ensure the PSA was on a downward trend.. but i totally hear why there wouldn't be much point.

The only PSA dad had was the one that triggered the urgent referral to urology. He hasn't had one since.

Thanks for the tip re diet. Il let dad know and if it becomes an issue then we can ask to speak to a dietitian.

Also my dads PSA was around the 5 mark (corrected to 11.2) as he is on Finasteride. The Onco yesterday said his PSA was 5, when i said it was corrected to 11.2 as he is on Finasteride, she just seemed to brush this under the carpet and said it didn't matter? And then repeated again that his PSA was 5. 

I am just a bit worried about all of this as I have had experiences of medical staff getting stuff wrong. Maybe i am over thinking this but i think not being able to ask questions as really annoyed me!

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 14:34
His PSA is 5 - that is what will have been recorded on his medical notes and will be referred back to in the future. The fact that finasteride reduces PSA by about 50% is only relevant to men who are on finasteride and having regular PSA tests, as their GPs may miss the need for urology referral if they are not aware. Once the man has been diagnosed, it is irrelevant what the PSA might have been if he hadn't been on meds. The same applies to men on testosterone replacement who are then diagnosed with PCa - their reading isn't halved before it is recorded on the medical notes.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 15:21

Ah really. I am having a hard time getting my head around this Lyn. So dads PSA ay the time of the blood test, which triggered the referral was 5.2. The urologist said it was actually around 11 because they will double it due to him being on Finasteride. The nurses and most of the medical staff have said 11 when mentioning dads PSA.

On the MRI scan and biopsy results. It states 5 then in brackets it states corrected to 11. 

Therefore when the Oncologist said it was 5 that threw me. I didn't know that the fact it could actually be doubled if he wasn't on Finasteride wasn't relevant. Didn't the Finasteride make it go down to 5? Without it it would be 11?

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 17:54
Yes but he has been diagnosed so it doesn't matter now - it would get very complicated if they continued to double his reading every time for the rest of his life. What matters now is the change or trend from test to test.

Plus the 50% is an approximation, not an exact science. The actual PSA reading is an exact science.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 22:03

OK i see! I thought the higher the PSA the more exgressive treatment he would require.. that is why i assumed he would be on hormone therapy for 2 years or so because of a PSA of 11.

Makes sense now. Thank you so much Lyn.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 23:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

OK i see! I thought the higher the PSA the more exgressive treatment he would require.. that is why i assumed he would be on hormone therapy for 2 years or so because of a PSA of 11.

Makes sense now. Thank you so much Lyn.

If that was the case, he wouldn't be having any treatment at all - the highest PSA we have seen on here at diagnosis was 13,000 

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 23:41

Totally makes sense now. 

Thank you so much. Hopefully the planning session appointment will come through soon.  Shall keep posting and updating on here.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2020 at 20:51

Hello all,

Hope people are keeping well.

Today was my dad's planning session at Mount Vernon. He has been told that his radiotherapy will be for the prostate only. He needs an empty bladder and bowel. They didn't tell us this before we went. So they couldn't do the CT scan as bowel was not empty. They gave him something to help him go, which did help but they still couldn't do the CT scan as there was too much wind.

He generally suffers from a lot of wind because he eats a lot of raw veg and a lot of fruit. They have asked him to cut it all down.

Rebooked for this Thursday. He will cut out the above food, so hopefully the scan can happen.

This is going to be tough for him as he loves his diet. He said he no longer wants the Radiotherapy and is giving up as he doesn't want to wait around in the hospital until his bladder is empty. The staff were fab and told him it is normal and just try to time it with food so he is empty before treatment.

Is there any advice on this at all? He has done so well up until now. Really need him to be positive for the RT.

The Macmillan nurse also recommended that he gets his PSA done before RT. Results today.. 0.18. is that good? He has only been on HT for 2 months so far.

I'm feeling a bit disheartened today.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2020 at 23:49
It will be easier to ensure an empty bladder - most men have to keep their bladder full for the RT. An empty bowel & reduction of gas is more challenging and as suggested, cutting out fruit & veg, anything fizzy, alcohol, caffeine will all help with the gas. If he isn't emptying his bowel well, they may suggest mini-enemas.

There isn't a good or a bad PSA once he has started HT - it is just what it is. It is certainly lower than at the start which shows the HT is working. You would expect it to stabilise or continue to fall at the next test.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 12:20

Thank you Lyn.

He generally suffers from gas and he feels it has got worse since starting HT. He has stopped fruit/veg from yesterday. He drinks only de-caf drinks. So fingers crossed.

If the planning scan is not successful on Thursday then they said they would need to speak to the Onco. I am so worried that RT could be delayed or not happen at all?? Am I just over thinking?

User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 13:45

I was done at Mount Vernon.

Normal protocol is to use the toilet for #1 and #2 when you arrive, and if you're being treated with an empty bladder, you'll be asked to have another pee (and could do another #2 as well if you wish) just before going in for treatment. It might be slightly different now that patients have to wait in their cars.

It took 6-9 months for my bowels to recover after RT, but they do now work significantly better than they did beforehand (albeit with some minor rectal bleeding which has no impact whatsoever on QoL).

If he's interested, I run the support group at Mount Vernon. Due to COVID, there is no meeting face-to-face at the moment though. I have merged it into The FOPS (Chorleywood) Zoom sessions for now.

Edited by member 29 Sep 2020 at 13:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 14:45
No point you getting stressed about something that is out of your control. If the RT was delayed, it wouldn't make a huge difference as the HT is controlling the cancer and some research suggests that the longer he has hormones before the RT the better the outcome. If for some weird reason (highly unlikely) they decided that he was so gassy that they would never be able to do RT (and I have never heard of that happening) the HT could potentially still control his cancer for many, many years.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 22:02

Thank you so much Lyn and Andy.

I don't know what i would have done without this group. You guys have been such a great support.  I feel calmer knowing it is OK if RT does end up getting delayed. Fingers crossed it does happen at some stage though. So happy to know that worse worse case HT can control the cancer.

Dad said he is less gassy today. The change in diet hopefully will help.

I did ask him last time about joining in the support group that you run Andy, however, he doesn't seem very keen. He is so busy with redecorating the house that his mind is just on that project at the moment! Probably good as it keeps him distracted.

I will definitely ask him again though. He may change his mind once he starts treatment.

I will keep you posted after the appointment on Thursday.

Thanks again.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 17:21

Good news - planning CT scan was successful today! Dad stopped all fruit/veg since Monday. He had no wind today. Was in and out the appointment in 10mins. They have asked him to carry on with this diet now until the end of radiotherapy, probably even longer, depending on side effects.

RT due to start on 15th October. 20 fractions.

Shall keep you all posted.

Sage/evening primrose has stopped all hot flushes. I think the cooler weather also helps.

Thanks again for the support.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2020 at 22:59

Hello!

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Just a quick update. Dad started RT last Thursday. Today was his 3rd session. So far he has been OK.. early days but fingers crossed he will get through it with little side effects.

He has stopped all fruit/veg so wind is no longer an issue. He is managing to empty is bowel and bladder before treatment so he is literally in and out in 10mins. Hopefully this will continue for the duration.

He still walks 40mins twice a day and has been doing the resistance exercises since his first HT injection! He has lost a lot of weight from all the exercises!

Shall keep posting on here through his RT treatment.

Keep safe. Take care.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2020 at 23:38

Hi SR12,

Nice to hear from you. How many RT sessions is your dad having? (EDIT: just seen your previous post 20 fractions) It's nice to know active treatment has started. I only had 15 sessions as most of my radiation was delivered via brachy, but it is good to start counting those sessions down, before long he'll be halfway through. Once started those radiation doses have to hit that cancer every day (except weekends, when the cancer cells, I presume, go away and play golf; ready to be back on Monday to start all over again) so hopefully no covid interruptions to his treatment.

Best wishes

Edited by member 19 Oct 2020 at 23:40  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 11:08

Hi Dave,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are getting on well post treatment.

Yes 20 sessions for dad. 3 done, 17 to go! 

I did ask what would happen if we go into any lockdowns again. They said radiotherapy would continue.. who knows though. I am hoping he can get the RT out of the way. After that he needs one more 4 weekly Zoladex implant. Then he will go onto monitoring.

He is having prostate only RT hence empty bowel and bladder. So far he has been OK with this.

Take care. I shall keep posting.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 11:35
Well done, Dad - I hope it works out fine, what part of the country are you in?

I had my RT done in Cambridge last year.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 17:12

Hi. Regarding lockdowns just to say I had all 20 of my RT sessions during the big lockdown earlier this year.  The hospital would be very unwilling to interrupt your dad's treatment once it has started so I think you can rest assured it will proceed as normal even if another lockdown is imposed.

Once you get into the routine you'll be amazed how quickly they go.

best wishes

Stephen

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 17:53

Hi. Regarding lockdowns just to say I had all 20 of my RT sessions during the big lockdown earlier this year.  The hospital would be very unwilling to interrupt your dad's treatment once it has started so I think you can rest assured it will proceed as normal even if another lockdown is imposed.

Once you get into the routine you'll be amazed how quickly they go.

best wishes

Stephen

I agree with that. Though I never really got used to holding the amount of fluid...
I told the Nurses "Don't stand in the way, following the fraction!" They were very good. 😄

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 22:16

Thank you so much for that! That is very reassuring to know that his treatment can carry on, even if we go into lockdown.

We are in Harrow. Dad is being treated at Mount Vernon hospital. So far they have been excellent. He calls them once he is in the car park. They call back a few minutes later, tell him to go straight to the loo then in for treatment. Literally takes 10mins in total.

4th session done today! Dad is having treatment on empty bladder and bowel so he doesn't have to worry about drinking all that water. His main concern is ensuing bowel is empty before treatment and that he has no wind/gas (so far so good!).

16 to go now. We are doing a countdown to keep him motivated!

Thanks for all the support. We would be lost without this group.

User
Posted 11 Nov 2020 at 22:47

So today marks the last day of dads radiotherapy! 20 sessions done and dusted. I have to say time did go very quick. One of us went with him daily. The wait in the car wasn't too long. Luckily he controlled his diet really well so he didn't have any wind or any need to take meds which would make him empty his bowel.  Once he was called in for treatment, he was in and out in 20mins maximum. 

They have been pleased with how smoothly it all went. He will receive a follow up call in about 3 weeks time from the radiologist. 

He has a telephone consultation with the Onco in February. He needs to have his PSA test done 2 weeks before so the Onco can read this and let us know how well the treatment has worked. I do remember a few people mentioned on here that the first PSA test maybe higher to due radiotherapy causing the PSA to jump up. Is that correct?

He has the last (we hope!) 4 weekly Zoladex implant mid December. After that his initial treatment will end and he will be monitored from then on.

Side effects wise, he has done really well up until now. We are aware that side effects could start at a later date. The only side effects he has is getting up nearly every hour at night to wee. He has had increased bowel movements too. Some days he is more tired than others. However, he has kept up with all the walking and the resistance exercises. He has also lost a bit of weight which the radiologist thinks is down to the diet and exercise. 

The hot flushes are still there but he only gets a few in the mornings and they literally last a few seconds. He is still on sage and evening primrose x 2 daily.

So far the treatment really was not as bad as we thought and we hope he doesn't get any major side effects moving forward. We also hope the cancer is in remission.. time will tell i guess.

We would be absolutely lost without this group. I learnt sooo much and got so many tips which i passed on to dad.

I will post again with his PSA results.. what happens after all this now? Will it just be blood tests on going? Any scans? 

Any post treatment advice would be fab.

Hope everyone is keeping well. Thanks again for all the support. Massively appreciated.

User
Posted 11 Nov 2020 at 23:51

I do remember a few people mentioned on here that the first PSA test maybe higher to due radiotherapy causing the PSA to jump up. Is that correct?

Yes, that can happen sometimes which is probably why the onco wants to wait until Feb. The lowest reading (the nadir) is usually about 18 months after the RT finished. 

If December is to be his last Zoladex (unusual - they usually go for 18 or 36 months of HT with radical RT) then he will just go to regular PSA monitoring, which might be every 3 months to begin with but then will extend to 6 monthly and, if his PSA stays low for 5 years, to annual testing for the rest of his life. They do not usually do any more scans unless the cancer recurs in the future. 

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 00:39

Thank you Lyn.

Yes we did question him only having 6 months of HT. I did also post it on here. We were told from the Onco that because his cancer was confined to the prostate, he would only require 6 months of HT in total. We even got a letter confirming this. I spoke to the McMillan nurses and also Prostate cancer nurses who said it is not unheard of. I hope the correct decision re his treatment plan has been made. The Onco at Mount Vernon hospital does seem to be reputable. 

Thanks for the information for post treatment stuff. I have never understood what was meant by nadir but now i see it means the lowest reading. 

Really hoping the Radiotherapy has worked. Does RT ever fail?

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 01:48
Any cancer treatment can fail - if he gets to 5 years without the PSA rising above 2.0 + nadir, he will be moving in the right direction. Full remission is usually considered to be 10 years without a recurrence.

My husband only had 6 months of HT, if that.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 08:15
Well done Dad. I'm 6 months after a year + of Hormone therapy, still some aches & pains - PSA results very low after RT a year ago.

Onco says I'm on track for a complete recovery - I hope he is right.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 09:46

That is amazing Bob! Really pleased and i know you will be absolutely fine!

Thanks Lyn. Dad is 77. I will be sooo pleased if he gets to 87! 

So i guess now is all about PSA checks for the next 5 yrs. Now i understand about PSA anxiety!

This journey has made me appreciate one day at a time and made me realise non of us are immune. I always used to think things happen to "other" people. Until it happens to you.

I owe a lot to this group. Thank you so much.

Fingers crossed for first PSA check in February!

User
Posted 13 Nov 2020 at 09:07
I've got my next test at the beginning of Dec. If I can find a phlebotomist (Thanks online spelling!)

They are rather short, many recruited by track & trace - more money there, I guess?

User
Posted 13 Nov 2020 at 19:14

Have track n trace taken all the GP staff?! Dad just goes to the nurse? 

I have everything crossed for you Bob. It will be fine, i know it!

User
Posted 08 Dec 2020 at 22:10

Hello,

I thought i would check in and give an update re dad.

It has nearly been a month now since the end of RT. He is generally well. The main side effects so far have been more than usual bowl movements and getting up nearly every hour at night to empty bladder. Getting up every hour is causing him lack of sleep so he is getting a bit down about this. Will this improve in time?

He has his last Zoladex implant next Thursday. We were told his next PSA test would be in February when he has the telephone consultation with the oncologist. We were told this is because sometimes RT can cause the PSA to raise, so it is best to wait a few months.

However, today we got a text from the radiotherapy department regarding a follow up telephone appointment for next week and to ensure he has PSA done before. I remember asking them about this on the last day of his RT and they told us to wait till February. Any idea if this is normal?

I am not sure if the nurse will have any appointments to fit dad in. I will call the Radiotherapy department tomorrow and get some clarity.

He is managing hot flushes with evening primrose oil and sage. Definitely helps.

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the holidays.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 10:10

Have track n trace taken all the GP staff?! Dad just goes to the nurse? 

I have everything crossed for you Bob. It will be fine, i know it!

You were correct 😅

I expect the piddle problems etc, will improve with time - mine did.
I'm pretty variable myself, sometimes I can go from Midnight to 5, another time somewhat, less - but it is not a major problem - there is no piddling, when your dead...😪

User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 22:23

Haha! I defo will remind dad of that! I think he is just tired from lack of sleep as he is having to go loo so much. Hopefully in time it will improve.

He has the oncologist apt in February. I was just told my the surgery to book his bloods in early as there is a backlog of apts! I hope he is able to get an appointment! Such hassles.

Enjoy the xmas break and stay safe.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2020 at 23:30

Hello again.

Today my dad mentioned that he had some bleeding when he had bowel movements. He said it happened yesterday too.

It is exactly one month today since he finished RT.

I have read that bleeding can happen. He said it was a small amount.

He has an appointment with the Radiotherapy nurse on the 22nd so he will mention it. Should he be mentioning it before? 

Is this common?

Not sure if leaving it till the 22nd is too long?

Just after some advice 

Thank you!

User
Posted 11 Dec 2020 at 23:37
Not had RT, but I have relatively mild colitis. From what I've read RT can cause similar problems. If it's a small amount of blood, I would say it's not a big deal, but why not speak to someone? It cannot do any harm.

One thing I've learnt the last few years, after two operations for different cancers, is that it's best to ask if you have any concerns at all.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2020 at 23:46

Thank you Peter. Good advice. 

I will call Macmillan on Monday. They are usually really good.

Keep well.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2020 at 07:51

Hello again.

Today my dad mentioned that he had some bleeding when he had bowel movements. He said it happened yesterday too.

It is exactly one month today since he finished RT.

I have read that bleeding can happen. He said it was a small amount.

He has an appointment with the Radiotherapy nurse on the 22nd so he will mention it. Should he be mentioning it before? 

Is this common?

Not sure if leaving it till the 22nd is too long?

Just after some advice 

Thank you!

Yes, it is very common, it will settle with time - things will be a bit inflamed down there! I had it & I understand, it is unusual for it NOT to occur. 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2020 at 09:39

It's extremely common.

Keep things like this recorded in a diary, so you can refer back and say when it started, how often, and how severe, when you have your next appointment.

If the bleeding becomes excessive or continuous (risk of anemia), then you will need to get medical help sooner.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2020 at 16:05

Bleeding is common after radiotherapy, definitely worth mentioning I think.

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Dec 2020 at 22:55

Thank you so much for the reassurance.

I am keeping a book and noting all side effects and treatment dates, follow up calls and PSA test results. I got that advice from a post i read on here when dad was being checked for cancer.  This site has really helped and given me so much knowledge.

Today he didn't have any blood, but perhaps it is random. I will still call Macmillan on Monday and tell them.

He is feeling really tired today. Seems the RT side effects may be kicking in...

He has his final HT implant on Thursday. 

Fingers crossed all will be okay!

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 23:02

Hello! 

Quick update. Dad had the last (hopefully) Zoladex implant yesterday. 

That is a total of 6 months of HT treatment.

Onco apt is in Feb. Have booked PSA test for mid January. 

He has not experienced any more blood when he empties bowels. Still getting up every hour at night to empty bladder, which is really getting him down now.

He will  mention all this to the radiologist when they call next week.

So now i guess it is all about PSA tests and observations. Hopefully treatment has worked and we can have some positive times ahead.

I will post updates on PSA results and any other side effects etc.

I am so grateful to have found this group and thank you so much for all the support and advice.

Have a good xmas break and a better 2021.. we hope!

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 23:32

Hi SR12, 

Glad to hear treatment is over. 6 months of HT won't have done much harm with bone loss and muscle loss. I hope cancer is cured.

Getting up every  hour would be very tiring. A bottle like this next to the bed is a good idea

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/adult-male-urinal-bottle-1000ml.html

It might not be to everyone's taste, but not actually having to get up and walk to the toilet can make it a bit easier to get some rest during the night. 

If you can't be bothered ordering off line, then just go to supermarket and buy an "innocent smoothie" the bottle is almost exactly what you want, and it comes with a free healthy drink.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Dec 2020 at 12:47

Hi Dave,

Nice to hear from you.

Dad has coped better than what we imagined.. for now. We are aware he could have late onset of side effects.

We have a bottle like this but he refuses to use it! Just hope the night time wee's get less.

Hope you are keeping well. I have been reading some of your posts.

Take care and stay safe

User
Posted 20 Dec 2020 at 18:30

I find a nice long, hot bath, of Magnesium salts, Dead sea salts, (Home bargains) Aldi bath blue & some white almond milk cream bath - works wonders to help you sleep & less likelihood of frequent night time widdles.

Edited by member 20 Dec 2020 at 18:40  | Reason: Not specified