I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad just diagnosed. Need advice

User
Posted 20 Dec 2020 at 19:47
I find not drinking three pints just before bedtime helps too.
User
Posted 20 Dec 2020 at 20:59

Oh wow! I think i need this bath myself! Thank you Bob. Il pass it on to dad.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2020 at 22:11

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Oh wow! I think i need this bath myself! Thank you Bob. Il pass it on to dad.

My lady, & I find this secret formula (no longer!) works very well 😅

User
Posted 20 Dec 2020 at 22:21

Lol! Hopefully not for long! 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2020 at 08:08

Lol! Hopefully not for long! 

I meant, now I've put the bathing formula on here, it is no longer a secret... 😃😄

User
Posted 21 Dec 2020 at 13:52

Oo LOL! Yep that is true. There will be a shortage of dead sea salts soon!

User
Posted 21 Dec 2020 at 18:01

Oo LOL! Yep that is true. There will be a shortage of dead sea salts soon!

Boris will have to get fingers out, & get Dover open again....😄

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 22:25

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well and people are staying safe.

Just a quick update. Dad is doing well. Still having to get up at night to empty bladder, although it seems to be getting less. Every 1and a half hr now compared to every hour.

He has PSA blood test coming up on Monday. Onco telephone apt in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

He has also been offered the COVID vaccine. He is going for the first dose on Saturday. I asked Macmillan if it was OK for him. They said it was fine and wouldn't effect the PSA levels. 

Anyone else had the vaccine? Any side effects at all?

Il keep you posted when dad gets the PSA results.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2021 at 21:15

Hi SR12,

Good to hear from you. Glad your dad's had the covid jab, my mom is 91 and just had hers, no side effects. I'm very glad she has had it. Good luck with dad's psa test. 

Dave

User
Posted 23 Jan 2021 at 22:35

Hello Dave,

Nice to hear from you. Glad your mum had the jab and is doing well. Dad had his today and so far he is feeling OK. I hope dads PSA is OK. Il post the results on here. I read some of your previous posts, glad to hear you are doing well and PSA is behaving!

Take care.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 18:08

Hello,

Just thought id update dad's PSA results. <0.01

This is a good result but he only just had the last Zoladex implant in December and i believe the effects are still in the system for a few month's. Then i assume the testosterone will increase meaning the PSA will rise?

What level should it stay under? Is it 2?

Sorry for questions.  This is a new stage for us so just want to ensure i understand it.

Thank you.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 19:32
It may start to rise gently over the next few months but the RT continues to work for about 18 months. Your dad's onco will be looking for the PSA to stay below 2.01
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 21:56

Thank you so much Lyn. Very helpful as always! Hope you all are well.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 20:02

Hello,

Quick update. Onco called dad yesterday. Said she was pleased with the PSA results. Next blood test and chat with her will be in 6 months time. I thought it would be 3 months at first but she didn't mention it so nor did we.

She said the GP could prescribe dad some medication that will stop him getting up multiple times at night to empty his bladder.

Does anyone have any experience/names of these medications?

He had first Covid jab. All OK. Next one is in April.

Keep well.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 22:12
Tamsulosin seems to be the normal. I had it for years due to enlarged prostate and I was told it works by relaxing the bladder, allowing you to pee more, so you need to go less often. It worked for me and I didn't get any side effects.
User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 22:50

Thank you Peter. 

I am sure i have heard of this medication on this site before. 

Really appreciate it. I shall pass it on to dad and he can speak to the GP.

Thanks again.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 23:46

If you want to try tamsulosin and can't be bothered with the hassle of getting a gp appointment, it can be purchased over the counter with the brand name Flomax. 

If it works, then obviously it will be better to get it on prescription as it will then be free. 

Dave

User
Posted 12 Feb 2021 at 08:35

Thanks Dave!

Have passed the message on to dad.

Hope all is well with you.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2021 at 22:33

Hello!

Just checking in. Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the sun for today!

Dad is doing OK. He tried the tamsulosin but it didn't seem to work for him. He still gets up around 3 times on average each night. 

The hot flushes are getting a bit worse now, however his last Zoladex implant was in December so i think they should start calming down now.. i think i read it can take around 3 months for the side effects to start wearing off.

He is feeling really tired nowadays though. He is usually very active but somedays he struggles to get a walk in. I wonder if this is part of the on going side effects?

We have requested for full bloods to be done and just check PSA again although i doubt that would have risen in just 4 months?

He is also feeling depressed. I think a lot of this could be down to lockdown/maybe Zoladex side effects?

Take care.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2021 at 11:13
SR12, Tadalafil can help with "P" & "Other problems" It can give you heartburn though, I just have half a tablet every other day!

Once a night P is my norm mostly. No more Hot sweats - I'm now nearly a year after the last hormone.

Getting strength back too - lost quite a bit, it was a struggle to get out the bath - now it's quite easy, as an example!

I was pretty depressed at times, but it passes eventually. I still feel "Lockdown-itus" myself. Spent most of it with my GF on the other side of England, now at home on my own in Suffolk for a while.

Even Testosterone is getting going now, turning a chore into something with a bit of pleasure !!!!

Wish Dad all the best from me.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2021 at 14:50

Hey Bob!

Lovely to hear from you! 

It was very reassuring to read your post. I showed dad and told him that things will get better. He just needs to go with it for now.

He is really struggling with lack of energy. He says he finds it difficult to move his legs as they have become heavy?? I wonder if this is to do with losing muscle?

Really glad to hear you are getting back to your usual self and getting energy back too!

We all need to get out of lockdown and back to doing whatever we enjoy!

Take care and thank u so much for the reassuring post.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 09:54

Hey Bob!

Lovely to hear from you! 

It was very reassuring to read your post. I showed dad and told him that things will get better. He just needs to go with it for now.

He is really struggling with lack of energy. He says he finds it difficult to move his legs as they have become heavy?? I wonder if this is to do with losing muscle?

Really glad to hear you are getting back to your usual self and getting energy back too!

We all need to get out of lockdown and back to doing whatever we enjoy!

Take care and thank u so much for the reassuring post.

Glad to be able to help. RT & HT is a rather long process - but at least, there is no Knife involved. I think there is a greater risk of incontinence with Surgery - & sometimes bits of Cancer get left behind, so Radio therapy is often still needed as well - you have a  dose of both treatments. I think one, is more than enough!  The worst part of RT, is holding on to the water, then finding the Loo is occupied! & Getting there 20 times if you live some distance away.

I am again having a bit of a piles problem - but I had that long BEFORE any prostate treatment 😂 Another of the joys of getting older I guess. Getting treatment at the hospital for them is difficult ATM, due to Covid. I saw a consultant last week, & all he wanted to do was talk, not even examine me - passed the buck to the "Camera up you", team....
He wore his mask under his chin, BTW.....

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 22:31

WOW! Maybe a mask on the chin stops covid from spreading. We have been wearing it wrong for a whole year! Oh dear, hope they can sort out the piles ASAP!

Dad has been in a better mood last few days. Phew. He had his radiotherapy on empty bowel and bladder, he was really glad about that as he had read the stories about full bladder! 

How is your wrist? I remember reading you had some pain there. Was it the wrist?

User
Posted 03 Apr 2021 at 09:49

WOW! Maybe a mask on the chin stops covid from spreading. We have been wearing it wrong for a whole year! Oh dear, hope they can sort out the piles ASAP!

Dad has been in a better mood last few days. Phew. He had his radiotherapy on empty bowel and bladder, he was really glad about that as he had read the stories about full bladder! 

How is your wrist? I remember reading you had some pain there. Was it the wrist?

Thanks for the ask - thankfully, my right wrist & arm is fine now. Probably caused by Tennis playing, whilst still with Hormone therapy (Weakening) in me 😅 It took a long time to get better though, suffered from Nov - Feb I think! RT is not much fun, but I'm glad it was not too bad for your dad.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2021 at 12:19

Really glad you are better now and pain has gone. So worrying when something else starts to hurt. Yeh dad coped well with the treatment whilst it was ongoing but defo is seeing the side effects now! 

Hopefully he will be better once he can start to go out and see his friends!

Have a good weekend. Take care and thanks for the advice!

User
Posted 04 Apr 2021 at 12:40

Really glad you are better now and pain has gone. So worrying when something else starts to hurt. Yeh dad coped well with the treatment whilst it was ongoing but defo is seeing the side effects now! 

Hopefully he will be better once he can start to go out and see his friends!

Have a good weekend. Take care and thanks for the advice!

Thanks. I've been enjoying listening to Radio Caroline this morning - whilst cooking my Sunday lunch.
It will be great to get back to Pub & cafe Sunday dinner though. I just hope travel back & forth overseas, is severley controlled though, otherwise we will be back where we started.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 11:36

I have a feeling we will have restrictions during the winter months.. pubs and restaurants.. just can't wait!

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 20:59

I have a feeling we will have restrictions during the winter months.. pubs and restaurants.. just can't wait!

Lets get the vaccines into everyone & that will not happen. 

I'm optimistic, this Pandemic will be gone, very soon.

NO, repeat NO foreign  Holidays, that will open floodgates.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 21:39

True! But you know the government get a bit excited about holidays! Lol!

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 10:05

True! But you know the government get a bit excited about holidays! Lol!

It's the "Raking in the tax" factor 😄

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 23:23

So finally dad told us today why he feels so low. It is because he is experiencing some leakage from his bowl when he doesn't expect it. Apparently a fart is not a fart.. i remember reading about this side effect from RT, a while ago.

He said it is making him feel scared to go for walks etc and he doesn't want to wear pads.

Will this side effect wear off in time?

Any suggestions?

He said this, together with having to wake up 3/4 times a night to pee, is really depressing him. And the hot flushes too!

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks once again.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 10:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHwVglPQR_w

This might help.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 14:58

Thank you Bob. I have shared it with dad.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 17:31

Thank you Bob. I have shared it with dad.

Exercise in any form, is of course, good - I like a good  walk around somewhere interesting. 
This afternoon, I had a walk around the Lake & old Hotel at Lynford, in Norfolk. It's about 7 miles from where I live. It has been a TV location in the distant past. Mainly Allo Allo, but some bits of Dad's army, were filmed there as well. 

Old Hodges was in the water of the lake a few times!  The inner courtyard of the Hotel, was dressed up to look like France, with the exterior of the Allo Cafe - the interiors were shot in a BBC studio ! 

Two nice lakes to walk around, & some memories. 

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 18:40
Hi yes I fully go with the feeling down, scared of going out etc due to bowel issues. I suffered after RT, had 'accidents' whilst out, had to use bucket in garden as bathroom getting remitted et., pretty degrading and you just can't predict if when it'll happen. Imodium worked quite well for me on occasions out for a while (e.g. Hyde Park Neil Young couple years ago), tried not to use too often.

But, if like me, definitely clears up, seemed to take for ever to do so but may have been few months.

Peter

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 23:00

Thank you Peter and Bob.

Reassuring to know that it can clear and hopefully isnt a long term side effect. Glad you are doing well Peter.

Bob, your walk sounds amazing! Dad walks lots too which is fab.

Thanks for the advice. The people on this site have just been amazing!

User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 18:33

Me again!

Dad had routine full blood count done last week. The blood count (HB) came back slightly reduced so they want dad to give a stool sample to check for bleeding in the bowels. Dad has got slight bleeding since finishing RT. Happens very occasionally. We spoke to Macmillan who said this was very common after RT. We explained this to the GP, however they still want dad to give the stool sample.

I am guessing they want to check for Bowel cancer? He only just finished the RT in December. Shouldn't they give it a few months? 

Anyone else had experience of this at all? Maybe we should speak to the Onco?

Apart from that everything else came back fine.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 19:31
You can't always see blood in the stools with the naked eye and it may not be bowel cancer they are checking for - more likely they are ruling out anaemia caused by bleeding higher up in his stomach, an ulcer or infection. Slight bleeding from RT is unlikely to affect HB levels so best to have the stool test & rule out other problems.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 20:44

Ah i see. OK, thanks Lynn. Dad suffers from Barrett syndrome (acid reflux) so does get checked every 3yrs for esphogues cancer. It was due last year but didn't happen because of COVID. I hope its not that.

Mind is going into overdrive. Best to just get it done and hopefully get to the bottom of this. Why can't things just be OK for a bit. One thing after another.

So glad i posted on here. Thank you.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2021 at 23:07

Just an update. We spoke to the Onco via the Macmillan nurse. The Onco said Zoladex can reduce HB levels and that there would be blood found in the bowels due to RT side effects so she would rather wait until August (next PSA test)  to redo HB test at that point before they start any other investigation work. Unless the Barrett's is bothering dad, which it doesn't seem to be. Hopefully he will have the endoscopy this July. 

So we will wait it out till then and see what happens. He is getting blood now and then when he empties bowel but he doesn't seem too concerned about it for now. 

The GP prescribed another medicine which stops his body from producing urine at night. This seems to be working well. He is now only getting up once or twice rather than four times a night. Cant remember the name but happy to ask him if anyone is interested.

Take care!

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 12:04

Hi, it is decisions time for me, I am gleason 7 possible t3 with psa of 3.4,I am 74 years of age quite fit, I leaned towards hormone and rt, and I am due to see oncologist next Thursday, I met the urology nurse last week and she told me because of a split in the prostrate it is I am likely to be on hormones for 3 years, I have been bone scanned and body scanned along with mri and no sign of spread, I have observed quite a lot of people have been on hormones for three years, I can not seem to find out why people elected to go that route when removal only takes about 16 weeks out of your life is it a preference or medically requirement, i have to take hormones for 3 months if I choose surgery as waiting list is 10 weeks, I would welcome comments on these options, thanks 

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 14:16
Tchpl, your post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this conversation. You're much more likely to get help if you start your own discussion thread rather than jumping in to someone else's!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 14:41

Thanks Chris new to this site not sure how to start a new topic

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 16:34

Thanks Chris new to this site not sure how to start a new topic

Go the the community home page and click the "Start a New Conversation" button. 

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 10:58

Hello

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the sunshine!

I just wondered if RT and HT can cause a delay tiredness? Dad was OK during the treatment, still carrying on with normal activities. However, the past 2 weeks or so he has been extremely tired. Sleeps for longer and isnt going for walks. When he does go, he has to sit on the bench for a while.

He is also suffering from a bad cough (not covid as we got him tested). He has a chest xray next Monday.

Luckily, his endoscopy appointment for Barrett's esophagus has also come through for July.

He is convinced he has throat/chest cancer because the cough is really bad and he is tired.

Difficult to say until tests are done, however i just wondered if HT and RT tiredness can come on months after treatment?

He still has blood in stools too which Macmillan are not too concerned about but will test him for all that in August, when his next PSA is due.

Thank you in advance!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 10:55

I think the lack of responses to this question can be taken as a no. I do have times when I feel more tired than I used to, maybe it's just the difference between being 53 when this all started and 56 as I am now. I'm glad your dad is having tests, but as you know my attitude is don't worry about it or assume the worst until you have a diagnosis to prove there is a problem. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 23:18

Good to hear from you Dave. Hope all OK your end.

Dad's energy levels are a bit all over the place. Sometimes he is shattered. Other times he seems to be OK.

GP gave him some meds for cough as they thought it could be his asthma. Its made a slight difference. He is also getting some breathlessness now and then.

Chest scan on Monday and endoscopy end of July. 

I am trying not to stress and wait for results.. its really difficult as i feel like we are back to investigation stages, which is what was happening exactly a year ago with his prostate.. fingers crossed.

Will post with results.

Take care.

User
Posted 08 Jun 2021 at 11:29

Good to hear from you Dave. Hope all OK your end.

Dad's energy levels are a bit all over the place. Sometimes he is shattered. Other times he seems to be OK.

GP gave him some meds for cough as they thought it could be his asthma. Its made a slight difference. He is also getting some breathlessness now and then.

Chest scan on Monday and endoscopy end of July. 

I am trying not to stress and wait for results.. its really difficult as i feel like we are back to investigation stages, which is what was happening exactly a year ago with his prostate.. fingers crossed.

Will post with results.

Take care.

Is your dad still on HT? That can upset all sorts of things! I had my last 3 monthly in Feb, 2020 - just before lockdowns started! I'm only now getting back to something like normal, Strength & aches & pains etc.

I guess the Testorone, is waking up again after a long sleep too !! I like a nap late afternoon, but that may be an age thing!

User
Posted 08 Jun 2021 at 21:48

Hey Bob!

Good to hear from you.

Dad had last HT in December 2020. I think it may be the side effects. He naps in the afternoon if he is home. This week, so far, has been OK.

The chest x-ray results say N/A. I assume this means no further action. I have sent a message to the GP to confirm. Really hope its clear. His cough has really improved. I suspect it was the asthma playing up.

He is still bleeding from bowels. That will be checked in August, together with next PSA test.

I know its a common side effect, hoping it is just that.

Hope you are keeping well and enjoying the sunshine!

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 12:28

Hey Bob!

Good to hear from you.

Dad had last HT in December 2020. I think it may be the side effects. He naps in the afternoon if he is home. This week, so far, has been OK.

The chest x-ray results say N/A. I assume this means no further action. I have sent a message to the GP to confirm. Really hope its clear. His cough has really improved. I suspect it was the asthma playing up.

He is still bleeding from bowels. That will be checked in August, together with next PSA test.

I know its a common side effect, hoping it is just that.

Hope you are keeping well and enjoying the sunshine!

Cloudy today, but I have been in the sun - back to trousers, today!

Assuming Dad's last injection, was a 3 month's worth one?, he would only be starting to get it out of his system by the end of March. So he has a long way to go I'm afraid - In Nov, he may be feeling a bit more himself, but from my experience, it takes over a year to become more fully "Normal" 

Is he on a daily Tadalafil ?  - it does help reduce shrinkage & puts more blood in the area it's needed.

If so, & if he gets Heartburn symptons, best cut back the dose - I now have half a tablet, every other day.

Heartburn seems to be one of the unsung symptoms, some get with HT - or it may be the Tadalafil that causes it.

Thankfully, I don't seem to get it now.

All the best to you both. Bob