I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads end of life care

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 21:15

My dad is now having end of life care at home with my mum. He has been fighting prostate cancer for a long time. But in the last 2 months he has become extremely unwell. In the past 2 weeks he has deteriorate rapidly. He can't speak. Can't swallow. Can't move at all. A hospital bed arrived on Sunday. He is in pain alot and now been administered a port for morphine as he can't take tablets etc really now.His medication has been cut. He has lost loads of weight. I really can't cope with seeing him like this. It is like he is just existing. I feel helpless

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 00:30

Hi Gen, 

Really sorry you are here. These end of life threads are hard, for us to read, but still vital to us in helping support each other. I can see you are new to the site, a thread which has been active recently is linked to below. I hope you find it helpful, I'm sure gillyflower, won't mind me linking it here, after all this group is all about helping each other. 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t24462-Each-day-a-challenge/page4#post247120

I'm sure some other members may come along later with more practical advice. 

Dave

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 06:14

Hi Gen

Sorry to read about your Dad. It must be very difficult for you and your Mum. 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 15:51

I understand what you are going through and it does sound as if your Dad is in the last stages of his illness. You may find he sleeps a lot and you may find it distressing to see but it could be that he will slip away peacefully.

There is nothing you can do apart from make him comfortable and let his days be peaceful.

I am so sorry.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 00:30

Hi Gen, 

Really sorry you are here. These end of life threads are hard, for us to read, but still vital to us in helping support each other. I can see you are new to the site, a thread which has been active recently is linked to below. I hope you find it helpful, I'm sure gillyflower, won't mind me linking it here, after all this group is all about helping each other. 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t24462-Each-day-a-challenge/page4#post247120

I'm sure some other members may come along later with more practical advice. 

Dave

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 06:14

Hi Gen

Sorry to read about your Dad. It must be very difficult for you and your Mum. 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 15:51

I understand what you are going through and it does sound as if your Dad is in the last stages of his illness. You may find he sleeps a lot and you may find it distressing to see but it could be that he will slip away peacefully.

There is nothing you can do apart from make him comfortable and let his days be peaceful.

I am so sorry.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 16:50
Hi. Thank you all for your reply. I rang my mum today on my lunch break. They told her today he has a week left at the most. They are going to administer the pain blockers. Sorry I am not sure what they are called. He has no idea. Just in shock really and trying not to think about it at the moment. Just don't know how to react to the news at all.
User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 16:54

Thank you for your reply. Really appreciated.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 16:55

Thank you. That is what we will definitely do. Just is such a cruel way to pass away. 

User
Posted 26 Oct 2020 at 23:13

Dad just passed away at 10 tonight. It was calm and peaceful with loved ones. Thanks for your messages.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2020 at 23:34
I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of each other in the days ahead. Thinking of you.
User
Posted 27 Oct 2020 at 00:00

Sorry to hear that Gen. Calm and peaceful with loved one is nice. Best wishes, try and get some sleep tonight. 

Dave

User
Posted 27 Oct 2020 at 06:56

Gen

Sorry to hear of your loss, please accept my sincere condolences, look after yourself. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Oct 2020 at 07:10

Dear Gen, so sorry to read of another man cruelly taken and with it a sadder and different life for those left. My sincere condolences.

Kev 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 27 Oct 2020 at 08:25
So sorry Gen. Love and strength to you all x
User
Posted 27 Oct 2020 at 12:03

I am sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing Gen. Such a difficult time for you and your Mum.  Thinking of you all.

Angex