I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New to this group

User
Posted 29 Oct 2020 at 15:06

Thank you for allowing me to be able to be part of this group.

I am now into my 8th week plus with advanced prostate cancer which has spread to the nodes deep in my pelvis.

61 years young

Gleason score 4+5=9 

T3b N1 M0

Started Hormone tablets on day 1 (01/09/20) on my second prostap Injection.

Plan has been changed from Radiotherapy in December to Chemotherapy straight after Christmas.  

I get the hot flushes and the sudden feeling of fatigue. 

Most of the time I feel good and strong but do get times when I feel that I'm a little bit alone, this is when I know it's for real.

I'm married with two adult children.

Just wish my family would ask me questions or talk to me about the situation.

They all seem to just get on with things as normal,maybe I overthinking things and that they are dealing with it their way.        

User
Posted 29 Oct 2020 at 15:33

Hi Spud

So sorry you find yourself on here but you know what there are some amazing people on here and the help and support you get is incredible. There is no such thing as a stupid question so just ask 👍

If your feeling down there’s always someone to pick you up and give words of advice. I have made some friends for life on here and couldn’t of got through this journey without their encouragement and support. Having prostate cancer can be a very lonely place but having the support and love is all you need to get us through the dark times.

Feel free to msg me anytime I’ll do my best to answer your questions or just listen when you need to vent, god knows we have all needed to vent on this journey. 

stay safe

Carlos

User
Posted 29 Oct 2020 at 16:11

Hi Spuduknow,

I am about a week behind you in terms of diagnosis and treatment.  Diagnosed with T3Bn1M1b, Gleason score 4+5=9, PSA 213, 50 years old and due to have my second injection of Decapeptyl next week.   The hot flushes are a nightmare for me also and wake me up in the middle of the night.

LynEyre on the forum mentioned Sage tablets in a Post to another member, so I ordered some from Amazon to try and  I took the first one today, fingers crossed they help.   I also purchased a chill pillow gel pad which I used for the first time last night and it helped tremendously.   Managed to sleep for 5 hours!

I also get the fatigue thing, I am just exercising as much as I can pre-7pm as I find after that time I am too knackered to do anything too strenuous.

Just as Carlos has described, this site has been amazing and I have already learned so much from the knowledgeable members of the forum in the short time that I have been on here. 

Edited by member 29 Oct 2020 at 16:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2020 at 07:53

Hi Spud,

Day 12 of the Sage tablets and I had my second injection of Decapeptyl last week.  (3 month one this time).   Just like you I seem to be hit hard with the flushes in the middle of the night.

From what I have read it takes 3-4 weeks for them to kick in, I will keep you posted, all fingers crossed.

I have a portable 4" desktop fan next to my bed which is quiet so it doesn't disturb the wife.  I switch it on for about 20 mins each time I wake up and it helps me cool down enough to fall back to sleep.   Waking up about 3 times each night at the moment :(

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Oct 2020 at 15:33

Hi Spud

So sorry you find yourself on here but you know what there are some amazing people on here and the help and support you get is incredible. There is no such thing as a stupid question so just ask 👍

If your feeling down there’s always someone to pick you up and give words of advice. I have made some friends for life on here and couldn’t of got through this journey without their encouragement and support. Having prostate cancer can be a very lonely place but having the support and love is all you need to get us through the dark times.

Feel free to msg me anytime I’ll do my best to answer your questions or just listen when you need to vent, god knows we have all needed to vent on this journey. 

stay safe

Carlos

User
Posted 29 Oct 2020 at 16:11

Hi Spuduknow,

I am about a week behind you in terms of diagnosis and treatment.  Diagnosed with T3Bn1M1b, Gleason score 4+5=9, PSA 213, 50 years old and due to have my second injection of Decapeptyl next week.   The hot flushes are a nightmare for me also and wake me up in the middle of the night.

LynEyre on the forum mentioned Sage tablets in a Post to another member, so I ordered some from Amazon to try and  I took the first one today, fingers crossed they help.   I also purchased a chill pillow gel pad which I used for the first time last night and it helped tremendously.   Managed to sleep for 5 hours!

I also get the fatigue thing, I am just exercising as much as I can pre-7pm as I find after that time I am too knackered to do anything too strenuous.

Just as Carlos has described, this site has been amazing and I have already learned so much from the knowledgeable members of the forum in the short time that I have been on here. 

Edited by member 29 Oct 2020 at 16:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Oct 2020 at 16:37

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I will certainly take your advise on-board.

I used to go to the gym before a total knee replacement last September, and then corona  shut my gym due to it being to small.

I have started a one hour low circuit group to keep me strong and do this socially distancing.

Thanks again

Spud

Edited by member 29 Oct 2020 at 16:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2020 at 01:58

Let me know how the sage tablets go.

I'm awake with the hot flushes again, seem to strike in the middle of the early hours.

Third Prostap Hormone injection at 09.30

Take care and keep in touch 

Spud

Edited by member 09 Nov 2020 at 02:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2020 at 07:53

Hi Spud,

Day 12 of the Sage tablets and I had my second injection of Decapeptyl last week.  (3 month one this time).   Just like you I seem to be hit hard with the flushes in the middle of the night.

From what I have read it takes 3-4 weeks for them to kick in, I will keep you posted, all fingers crossed.

I have a portable 4" desktop fan next to my bed which is quiet so it doesn't disturb the wife.  I switch it on for about 20 mins each time I wake up and it helps me cool down enough to fall back to sleep.   Waking up about 3 times each night at the moment :(

User
Posted 17 Nov 2020 at 11:11

Hi Spud,

Time for an update on the Sage tablets.  It is day 20 since I started taking the Sage tablets.

The previous two nights are the first two nights I have managed to sleep all the way through without experiencing any hot flushes since being on ADT.  Whoopeee!

On day 15 I switched taking the tablet from 8am to 8pm and this seems to have done the trick :)

After day 14 I noticed that the hot flushes were becoming milder.

Thank you Lyn for your advice on trying these :)

Cheers

Jay

Edited by member 17 Nov 2020 at 11:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Nov 2020 at 11:32
My OH was on HT while waiting for his RP op. He hated the flushes. It was quite funny really because I was having them too (menopause). We took it in turns to have the fan :) His have now gone but mine haven't lol

I've heard sage tabs recommended a lot on here and also thumbs up for a bedside fan.