I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brachytherapy after effects

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 14:25

I had Brachytherapy treatment on 11th November. I am feeling Ok but up every night to pee 3-4 times sometimes it's hard to start and stings and feels sore afterwards. I had urine tested but not infections.

In the morning I have to go at least every hour and dribble a lot in between. I am on Tamsalosin and have taken it different times of the day. I drink very little caffine and have weak squash milk or water. I have my last drink about 8pm. The lack of sleep is driving me mad plus the worry of going out, whher I live all the public toilets are locked shut. I am due to talk to my consultant on the 12th January. I also have constipation and am taking Lactalose from my Gp which works OK.

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 23:46

I started a brachytherapy support group last year for patients who have had or are considering brachytherapy.

Next meeting will be 11th March. There's always a peer-to-peer support section where those considering or recently had brachytherapy can ask questions of those further along the path.

Email me if you're interested support@prostate-brachytherapy.uk

prostate-brachytherapy.uk

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 14:25

I had Brachytherapy treatment on 11th November. I am feeling Ok but up every night to pee 3-4 times sometimes it's hard to start and stings and feels sore afterwards. I had urine tested but not infections.

In the morning I have to go at least every hour and dribble a lot in between. I am on Tamsalosin and have taken it different times of the day. I drink very little caffine and have weak squash milk or water. I have my last drink about 8pm. The lack of sleep is driving me mad plus the worry of going out, whher I live all the public toilets are locked shut. I am due to talk to my consultant on the 12th January. I also have constipation and am taking Lactalose from my Gp which works OK.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 15:21

Geoff, was this LDR/seed brachytherapy, or HDR (the timing of the side effects is different)?

Something that might help with the sleep - have a bottle to pee into next to the bed. Sitting on the side of the bed, having a quick pee, and then laying down to sleep again can be a lot less disturbance than getting up, walking to the bathroom, switch the (bright) light on, peeing, walking back to bed.

An empty large Innocent Smoothie bottle can work well. It has a wide opening, but a good fitting lid, so when you kick the bottle over in the morning...

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 19:16
I had LDR brachytherapy late in 2018. I can still pee 3 or 4 times a night, but the frequent daytime peeing has eased a bit with time. Try taking 1 or 2 Ibuprofen at bedtime it works for me.

I well remember clocking the toilets whenever and wherever I went out, I also viewed any bushes or undergrowth with appreciation!

It's early days for you yet, things will slowly get better. Your GP might give you something to help, mine did but I only took them on special occasions.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 07:27

Geoff, I had HDR Brachy (immediately following external beam radiotherapy) 17 months ago.

I just checked back in my diary, and it was about 2 months before I starting sleeping through some nights without needing to pee, and that happened progressively more often, and my bladder capacity was still improving at this point. So hang in there.

Also, how were you beforehand? If you got up to pee every night beforehand, I wouldn't expect that to be any better for a while longer. (I didn't need to pee overnight before treatment.)

I monitored my peak flow rate for some time afterwards. It dropped to a minimum about 3 months after the procedure, before recovering only a little. It then stayed like that for months, long enough I presumed that was my new norm, but at around 9 or 10 months after the HDR, it started improving, and a year later was almost back to starting point. (I haven't measured it more recently.)

So healing goes on for a long time after the procedure.

One thing that can happen is that people with prostate problems and/or going through prostate treatment adopt the mantra, "never pass a toilet". This is actually really bad, as it trains the bladder not to expect to fill up, and the bladder then adopts this is the norm. If you have been doing that during the daytime, now is the time to stop, and try going back to filling your bladder between peeing. Look up "bladder retraining", but basically, you adopt strategies to hold on for longer before peeing each time, to retrain your bladder to expect to fill up. You can't do bladder retraining during the night (it would stop you from sleeping), but doing it during the day will improve night time too.

Also good to be doing pelvic floor exercises, and they can help with the bladder retraining too.

Another thing, if you are peeing very slowly at night, it may be that you stop peeing before you empty your bladder. Hence, you are starting with a half-full bladder each time so it fills up faster. As a check on this, after you've pee'd, wait a minute, and have another pee (by relaxing, not forcing), and if there's still a reasonable amount, you didn't fully empty first time. This is called double voiding, and is a way to work around slow peeing. (you can keep doing it until you empty your bladder.) Another option would be to ask if you can take Tamsulosin to make peeing at night faster, which you would take with the last meal of the day.

Edited by member 07 Jan 2021 at 07:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Jan 2021 at 20:42
It's early days yet - try not to let it get you down. I had similar issues after my RT which took several months to settle down, and it's only in the last couple of months, two years after my RT, that I can sleep through the whole night without needing to get up.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 20:59

Hi Invicta, sorry to hear about your peeing problems. I’m thinking I will be going down the brachytherapy route as well, and this does worry me.

im just wondering, how were you before your treatment? I’m coming up towards 66, enjoy an active life style... running being my greatest thing. I never get up in the night to pee, although during the day pretty often. 

what about other side effects? I knew nothing about pc until about a month ago.

Now I need to become an expert...

as Forrest said ‘**** happens’....

User
Posted 07 Mar 2021 at 00:20

I am taking Tamsulosin. Been Instructed to take at Night. I take mine approximately 9PM and have found it definitely reduces the urge to Urinate and I can have a decent night's Sleep. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 15:21

Geoff, was this LDR/seed brachytherapy, or HDR (the timing of the side effects is different)?

Something that might help with the sleep - have a bottle to pee into next to the bed. Sitting on the side of the bed, having a quick pee, and then laying down to sleep again can be a lot less disturbance than getting up, walking to the bathroom, switch the (bright) light on, peeing, walking back to bed.

An empty large Innocent Smoothie bottle can work well. It has a wide opening, but a good fitting lid, so when you kick the bottle over in the morning...

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 19:16
I had LDR brachytherapy late in 2018. I can still pee 3 or 4 times a night, but the frequent daytime peeing has eased a bit with time. Try taking 1 or 2 Ibuprofen at bedtime it works for me.

I well remember clocking the toilets whenever and wherever I went out, I also viewed any bushes or undergrowth with appreciation!

It's early days for you yet, things will slowly get better. Your GP might give you something to help, mine did but I only took them on special occasions.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 06 Jan 2021 at 16:24

Hi any it was HDR Thanks for reply

User
Posted 06 Jan 2021 at 18:05
Best get a toilet card ,as you could show it IF you get couldn’t short while out and about and as a last result got to go in bushes or whatever , could save lot of hassle if someone sees you etc , but it’s best to know where the nearest toilet is ( if opened during these times ) I carried a pee bottle in my car as well and towel etc , got to cover all bases 😂 . It’s all part of the treatment path .
User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 07:27

Geoff, I had HDR Brachy (immediately following external beam radiotherapy) 17 months ago.

I just checked back in my diary, and it was about 2 months before I starting sleeping through some nights without needing to pee, and that happened progressively more often, and my bladder capacity was still improving at this point. So hang in there.

Also, how were you beforehand? If you got up to pee every night beforehand, I wouldn't expect that to be any better for a while longer. (I didn't need to pee overnight before treatment.)

I monitored my peak flow rate for some time afterwards. It dropped to a minimum about 3 months after the procedure, before recovering only a little. It then stayed like that for months, long enough I presumed that was my new norm, but at around 9 or 10 months after the HDR, it started improving, and a year later was almost back to starting point. (I haven't measured it more recently.)

So healing goes on for a long time after the procedure.

One thing that can happen is that people with prostate problems and/or going through prostate treatment adopt the mantra, "never pass a toilet". This is actually really bad, as it trains the bladder not to expect to fill up, and the bladder then adopts this is the norm. If you have been doing that during the daytime, now is the time to stop, and try going back to filling your bladder between peeing. Look up "bladder retraining", but basically, you adopt strategies to hold on for longer before peeing each time, to retrain your bladder to expect to fill up. You can't do bladder retraining during the night (it would stop you from sleeping), but doing it during the day will improve night time too.

Also good to be doing pelvic floor exercises, and they can help with the bladder retraining too.

Another thing, if you are peeing very slowly at night, it may be that you stop peeing before you empty your bladder. Hence, you are starting with a half-full bladder each time so it fills up faster. As a check on this, after you've pee'd, wait a minute, and have another pee (by relaxing, not forcing), and if there's still a reasonable amount, you didn't fully empty first time. This is called double voiding, and is a way to work around slow peeing. (you can keep doing it until you empty your bladder.) Another option would be to ask if you can take Tamsulosin to make peeing at night faster, which you would take with the last meal of the day.

Edited by member 07 Jan 2021 at 07:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Jan 2021 at 17:58

My Bladder problems seem to be getting worse. I still wake up 4-5 times every night and try double voiving. still taking Tamsalosin. consultant did nit seem surprised said it would get better. Waking up damp or wet too.

During the day I struggle to get to the loo on time as soon as I stand up I start peeing, cannot stop. I get lots of dribbling too and I am wearing disposable pants. I also get stinging sensation when I pee and afterwards. I am getting very tired and fed up. I am referred myself to the local Continence Service to see if they can help.

Thank you for all your comments

User
Posted 28 Jan 2021 at 20:42
It's early days yet - try not to let it get you down. I had similar issues after my RT which took several months to settle down, and it's only in the last couple of months, two years after my RT, that I can sleep through the whole night without needing to get up.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 20:59

Hi Invicta, sorry to hear about your peeing problems. I’m thinking I will be going down the brachytherapy route as well, and this does worry me.

im just wondering, how were you before your treatment? I’m coming up towards 66, enjoy an active life style... running being my greatest thing. I never get up in the night to pee, although during the day pretty often. 

what about other side effects? I knew nothing about pc until about a month ago.

Now I need to become an expert...

as Forrest said ‘**** happens’....

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 23:46

I started a brachytherapy support group last year for patients who have had or are considering brachytherapy.

Next meeting will be 11th March. There's always a peer-to-peer support section where those considering or recently had brachytherapy can ask questions of those further along the path.

Email me if you're interested support@prostate-brachytherapy.uk

prostate-brachytherapy.uk

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 20:52

Sorry for delay. I did have an Overactive bladder before treatment. I would still have Brachytherapy today knowing the side effects it would seem to me to be the best option for my treatment. I am now taking Betmega tablets as well as Tamsalosin. I hope they help. I am speaking to consultant in April.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2021 at 00:20

I am taking Tamsulosin. Been Instructed to take at Night. I take mine approximately 9PM and have found it definitely reduces the urge to Urinate and I can have a decent night's Sleep. 

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 16:35

Thigs are now a bit better only getting up 2-3 times per night now and I can manage urgency during the day. Hosp Consultant to phone me for check up on 20th April had PSA test today. Thanks for all your replies.