I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Whole Gland HIFU

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 14:43

I'm still working out my best option regarding treatment for my PC.

The HIFU is available, even though I have 3/4 of prostate that needs treating.

Apparently, the NHS use HIFU on one side only, so bilateral or whole gland cases is not for them!

This does make getting an unbiased opinion a bit more difficult.

Anyone out there who can explain how they are getting on after HIFU on whole gland or similar?

So hard trying to balance up HIFU vs Brachy.... both short and long term, and I would rather not go down the RPR route... 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 18:40

I never heard of anyone having whole gland HIFU.

A search does turn up a fairly recent paper, although because it contains 10 year survival data, it's not looking at recent whole gland HIFU procedures.

Oncological long-term outcome of whole gland HIFU and open radical prostatectomy: a comparative analysis

openaccessbutton.org can't find the full text, but you could try requesting it from the authors.

Edited by moderator 07 Dec 2022 at 11:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 21:24
I have been a member here for 11 years and don't remember anyone ever having whole gland HIFU. You may find someone on the YANANow website as that has an international membership and you can search by treatment type.

HIFU does not have great outcomes compared to radical treatments so you may need to be financially and emotionally prepared to have the treatment more than once and / or to have to resort to salvage treatment further down the line.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 21:44

This thread appears to be a repeat of the subject which was posted and to which I replied yesterday. https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t27035-Whole-Gland-HI-FU

Edited by member 03 Feb 2021 at 21:44  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry