I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA test just after COVID jab

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 00:10

Has anyone had a PSA test soon after a COVID jab?

If so, did you find the PSA result higher than expected, and reverted at the next PSA test? Which vaccine?

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 08:30

I think there was another thread on this subject.

I had my first dose of AstraZenneca a few days before my PSA in February. It had increased to 0.753 from 0.58 a year before. RT in 2016. Just coincidence or what, we can only speculate.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 08:51

Hi Andy, 

Had my first jab (AZ) on March 17th and PSA on 29th, soonish as under two weeks, they didn't give me the exact figure this time, just undetectable so I'll find out in next week's telephone consultation. 

Kev.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 11:08

This inquiry came to me via a support group, where a patient with a PSA of 1.5 shot up to 4.1 just after the AstraZenica jab, and was back to 1.5 a month later.

Then I realised the same had probably happened to me. Mine has been <0.01 for almost 2 years on hormone therapy, but a test I had done 2 days after the AstraZenica came back as 0.03, and two months later back to <0.01. There were other things I originally thought might be responsible (and could still be), such as being a PSA test by post in a different lab.

If this effect turns out to be a thing, it's worth people knowing about it and scheduling PSA tests and vaccinations appropriately.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the other thread on this, Covid vacc and raised PSA, which seems to also be raising this as a possibility

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 12:02

I have tagged onto to this conversation rather than start a new one.

The link below is to research into the COVID effect on PSA levels,  the research wasn't very big and not sure how good it was.

It was of interest to me because of my own rapid rise in PSA ,but to the best of my knowledge I have so far dodged COVID.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/989587?ecd=mkm_ret_230325_mscpmrk_pcp_mens-health&uac=396113FN&impID=5276837

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 19:46

Yes, that research was done after this thread:
Variation of Serum PSA Levels in COVID-19 Infected Male Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): A Prospective Cohort Studys

There is no such research for COVID vaccinations, but the same effect is recognised by many oncologists now. It was first reported in some local prostate cancer support groups, and indeed happened to me.