Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

18 months post RP

User
Posted 08 May 2021 at 16:21

Hello,

I'm now 18 months post RP surgery and still requiring one pad per day, will I ever become dry?

What length of time have others become dry after RP?

I had surgery at 44 years old.

Thank you.

User
Posted 09 May 2021 at 07:04

Hi I had my surgery last July and was not dry at night for about 7 moths but still needed a pad during the day especially if I was at work. I haven’t worn a pad now for about 4 months, however a cough, laugh or sneeze can bring out a little dribble or two. 

it’s very different for all of us, I read on here that some guys were dry almost immediately after surgery which is incredible, trick is to keep doing your pelvic floor exercises the more you do them the better the control.

Carl 

User
Posted 09 May 2021 at 07:29

Surprisingly, prostate surgery is considered by the clinicians to be a success if A) the cancer is removed, and B) the patient uses one incontinence pad per day or less!

I am ‘lucky’, as I am completely continent, but have ended up with a micro-penis and total erectile dysfunction as a bonus, I have been cancer-free for three years.

As Carl says, keep up the pelvic floor exercises, but I fear you may be stuck with what you’ve got.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 10 May 2021 at 00:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2021 at 23:33

Hi, how bad is it?  One pad a day would be poor if it was filled. I got better and suddenly dry at around 4-5 months.  Kegels can be very helpful.

I once went to a clinic where 2 patients got talking and one doing most of the talking said he had a bad leak after 2yrs  and had a sheath. The other bloke reluctantly announced he had some kind of tap which he'd had for several years.  Not good I know but there are solutions if the Kegels don't work.  The talking guy said he was asked if he didn't mind being the first patient of the surgeon and said he was glad the op had done its main job.  All the best Peter

Edited by member 09 May 2021 at 23:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 07:35

I would think that this far out, it's unlikely to improve by doing whatever you have already been doing.

I would ask for referral to a Pelvic Health Physiotherapist who deals with men. They are expert on understanding incontinence. They will check that you are doing pelvic floor exercises correctly, and measure strength of your sphincter muscle to make sure it's operating correctly. If you find the waiting list is long, you might consider if you can afford to pay privately, which is probably around £100 for a first (and possibly only) appointment.

If a Pelvic Health Physiotherapist can't help, they will suggest referral back to urology. Urology can check things out with a flexible cystoscopy and urodynamics tests. At one pad a day, you might be a candidate to have a filler injection inside the sphincter muscle.

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 12:43

Thank you for the updates gents👍🏻

I am now on the waiting list for Urodynamics but will have a flexible cystoscopy done beforehand. My pad isn't full on a daily basis maybe leaking 20ml-30ml at max.

Was just wondering if others suddenly went dry after the 18 month period after RP.