I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My Brachytherapy

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 17:26

I have just had my Brachytherapy treatment after 2 cancelled dates due to equipment breakdown, my first date was May 11th, then May 18th and third time lucky June 1st.

Apparently the engineers for the equipment had to come from the Netherlands and diagnosed replacement of parts that were failing, and on third visit discovered the Motherboard was at fault and not the parts already replaced.

so I must admit I was a little anxious the surgery would go ahead, but I must say I am so glad I decided to go with Brachytherapy, it is hard to know what option to take regarding treatment and if it is right for you, but from my experience it could not have gone better.

I arrived at hospital at 11am, I walked to the theatre at 1:30pm, woke up in recovery at 3:15pm and was discharged at 6pm.

Now 3 days later I feel fine, a part from sometimes having slight burning sensation when going to the toilet I have not experienced any of the worse side effects that have been listed as possible following surgery, I know it’s early days but I am impressed so far.

It has been a bit of a roller coaster since I was diagnosed but would say to anyone starting out on this journey, hang in there, if my experience is common regarding the care and treatment you will get then you’ll be in good hands.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 00:57

Thanks for the update Clive. It's bad enough with covid delays, let alone equipment failures. Glad it's all done. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 21:08
Glad it all went well, my Brachy is a distant memory and apart from a few side effects, now settled down, it was as good as it can be!

Don't be to surprised if you get some side effects, bowel and bladder for instance. They will settle with time. My GP came up with pills that helped a lot with side effects.

As a retired engineer I have no sympathy with the engineer's who failed to diagnose the equipment failure correctly first time, I never did that, mostly, well maybe once or twice :-)

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 17 Jun 2021 at 17:50

Hi 

It is interesting to see more and more members on here going for Brachytherapy and not jumping in with both feet for Robotic surgery just because they saw that surgeon first or that's all that hospital recommends. 

None of us will ever know if we made the right decision and will have sleepless nights following their decision as i did.But of course a lot of the guy's on here didn't have the choice with high PSA ,no and mo with numbers added.

I just hope i made the right decision on the information i was given and searched and of course the lovely people on here that helped me along the way.

I was 75 this week and just under five years from a successful operation ,Surgeons happy and i have my fingers crossed but i still look at it as in remission lets hope we can win a few.

Regards John

Edited by member 18 Jun 2021 at 13:37  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 00:57

Thanks for the update Clive. It's bad enough with covid delays, let alone equipment failures. Glad it's all done. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 21:08
Glad it all went well, my Brachy is a distant memory and apart from a few side effects, now settled down, it was as good as it can be!

Don't be to surprised if you get some side effects, bowel and bladder for instance. They will settle with time. My GP came up with pills that helped a lot with side effects.

As a retired engineer I have no sympathy with the engineer's who failed to diagnose the equipment failure correctly first time, I never did that, mostly, well maybe once or twice :-)

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 06 Jun 2021 at 01:00

Yes, they should have said "turn it off and on again". Or for the really troublesome ones "turn it off wait three minutes and turn it on again" the three minutes makes no difference, but it gives the software support engineer time to get off the phone so someone else has to deal with  the problem. 

Dave

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 08:09

Thanks for posting this Clive, vet reassuring as I’m just awaiting a Brachytherapy clinic appointment so they can ‘measure’ me and order the seeds for ‘installation’ in July. I hope the next few weeks are trouble free for you. 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2021 at 17:50

Hi 

It is interesting to see more and more members on here going for Brachytherapy and not jumping in with both feet for Robotic surgery just because they saw that surgeon first or that's all that hospital recommends. 

None of us will ever know if we made the right decision and will have sleepless nights following their decision as i did.But of course a lot of the guy's on here didn't have the choice with high PSA ,no and mo with numbers added.

I just hope i made the right decision on the information i was given and searched and of course the lovely people on here that helped me along the way.

I was 75 this week and just under five years from a successful operation ,Surgeons happy and i have my fingers crossed but i still look at it as in remission lets hope we can win a few.

Regards John

Edited by member 18 Jun 2021 at 13:37  | Reason: Not specified