Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post chemotherapy

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 10:00

Hi, 

Since completion of my chemotherapy last October my toenails have stopped growing & infact the nails are falling off, I’ve approached my local GP but they have advised me to go to private practice, is this what normally happens after treatment ?

james

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 10:00

Hi, 

Since completion of my chemotherapy last October my toenails have stopped growing & infact the nails are falling off, I’ve approached my local GP but they have advised me to go to private practice, is this what normally happens after treatment ?

james

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 13:07

I have no experience of chemo at all. All I can say is that as far as I know toe nails and hair are the same protein. So my guess is if your hair reacted badly to chemo your toe nails may do to. As I say I have no knowledge in this area, just pointing out there could be a connection between chemo, hair loss and toe nails. 

Dave

User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 00:33
It is fairly normal. The chemo stopped your nails from growing; now the nail beds are recovering, the new growth is pushing the old nails off. Speak to the chemo team where you were treated if you are concerned, or the Maggie's centre (if your hospital has one) or give the PCUK nurses a call.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 13:07

I have no experience of chemo at all. All I can say is that as far as I know toe nails and hair are the same protein. So my guess is if your hair reacted badly to chemo your toe nails may do to. As I say I have no knowledge in this area, just pointing out there could be a connection between chemo, hair loss and toe nails. 

Dave

User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 00:33
It is fairly normal. The chemo stopped your nails from growing; now the nail beds are recovering, the new growth is pushing the old nails off. Speak to the chemo team where you were treated if you are concerned, or the Maggie's centre (if your hospital has one) or give the PCUK nurses a call.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard