I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

testes size

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 23:53

Given  the lack of taboos here I'm surprised to find no mention [I searched] of decrease in testes size as a result of Zoladex treatment.

I confess, mine have decreased to maybe 25% or less of their original size. At the age of 74 I'm wondering if Zoladex helped bring on a rapid escalation of male menopause.

I'm not hugely worried by this given the bigger picture issues but I'm wondering if it might mean that post-Zoladex I might not recover my testosterone production. I'm also wondering if it might mean that my Zoladex treatment is close to redundant given the testosterone generating opposition has fallen in a heap.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2021 at 23:27

So here is the Harvard research from 2013

https://ascopost.com/issues/april-15-2013/similar-outcomes-for-18-vs-36-months-of-androgen-blockade-in-high-risk-prostate-cancer-treated-with-radiation/ 

And here is the RADAR research findings 2018

https://www.pcf.org/news/18-month-adt-optimal-for-locally-advanced-prostate-cancer/ 

It isn't impossible to maintain fitness while on HT - it just takes a bit more effort. Irun has been running extreme marathons (like across the Sahara-type extreme) ever since diagnosis with metastatic PCa and lots of men here have continued to cycle, play rugby or whatever floats their boat. Loss of bone density is a major concern and, I think, underplayed by many oncology departments. When I first joined here, a large % of men on HT also had Zometa but it seems quite rare now - perhaps because Zometa also has some very unpleasant side effects.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Oct 2021 at 00:20
There are plenty of posts about this - sadly, the search function is rubbish. It is more effective to log into the forum, open a new tab alongside and then use Google to find old posts!

The whole point of zoladex and its equivalents is to halt testosterone production so yes, you are experiencing a male menopause. Your body may also go through changes similar to those of an adolescent girl during puberty; muscle definition is reduced, ligaments soften and stretch, breast buds tingle, a fat layer is laid down for future pregnancy and breast feeding and the pelvis widens.

All in all, it tells you that the zoladex is doing its job and the shrinking testicles are no indicator of how quickly you will recover testosterone production once the HT ends

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 16:42

Like you, Microcolei, I too would like to read more on this topic!  In September 2017 I had a radical prostatectomy without nerve sparing and also had 25 lymph nodes removed (22 infected).  A follow up PSMA scan showed micro mets in my pelvic region lymph nodes so was prescribed hormone therapy for life.  This kicked off in October 2017 together with the usual course of doxetaxel in early 2018.  I usually take Decapeptyl but sometimes have Zoladex if I am overseas at the time treatment time comes around.  My question:  Is the reduction in testes and penis size I have experienced going to continue on its downward path or does it reach a nadir point?  Despite all this I can still experience a pleasurable, if dry, orgasm.  I remain grateful for small mercies!!

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 22:47

Regards testicle size, you need to be clear if you are measuring linear dimensions (length, diameter), or volume (which is what medical profession tend to use), as the difference in size between these is enormous.

I measured a reduction of volume from around 23cc down to about 5.5cc. This sounds like a large reduction, but it's nothing like that large in terms of a reduction in linear dimensions, which are only a reduction of about 1/3rd in length, diameter, etc.

I've just got my testosterone back in the last month. Not remeasured testicles since then, but I don't think they've increased in size yet. Only a small amount of the testicles produces Testosterone (Leydig cells) - most of the testicles is about sperm production, which is shut down by loss of Testosterone, and probably the part which shrinks. I don't know how much of that recovers - there certainly is some permanent damage to the sperm production structures during the loss of Testosterone (not that you are likely to be able to ejaculate any sperm that are produced in any case).

I've yet to see anyone report what happened to their testicle size after recovery of testosterone.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 04:45

I also upped my percentage of protein in diet. I did this because my body composition scales showed I was otherwise burning muscle when exercising. My muscle loss has been very slow while on HT, combining exercise with higher protein diet.

I've tended to avoid eggs because of their choline content (in case it helps feed the prostate cancer, but I've no idea if it does), and I don't eat processed meats like ham and bacon anyway - one cancer is enough for me. Protein is mostly in the form of chicken and salmon.

One thing with a higher protein diet and exercise - avoid too much protein and exercise the day or two before a kidney function blood test, or you will get high creatinine levels, which look like chronic kidney disease.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2021 at 04:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 10:30

My diagnosis was high risk locally advanced (or extreme risk because of high initial PSA >40 according to some research papers). My onco had me down for 18-36 months HT from the outset. I read some research papers which showed that getting PSA lower before starting RT was beneficial - one paper suggested getting it down to 1, and two more suggested getting it down to 0.1 before RT. My PSA was down to 5.29 when they suggested booking the RT, but I asked for longer. I worked out another 8 weeks would get me down to 0.1 at the rate it was dropping. In the event, the RT came through a week early and it was 0.12, but I was happy with that.

One research paper suggested if you got it down to 0.1, adjuvant HT (after RT) was not necessary, but neither I nor my onco were going to risk that. My PSA stayed <0.01 after the RT, so my onco said I could stop the HT anytime from 18 months. If it had been nearer 1 (maybe >0.5, I can't recall exactly what he said), he would have wanted me to do the full 36 months. The HT wasn't causing me any problems that I couldn't handle for a few more months for the chance of any slightly improved cure rate, so I elected to go on to 22 months. It's taken another 9-10 months after that for my testosterone to start returning, which is where I am now.

I also did an additional 6 months at the beginning on bicalutamide, but as that didn't work for me (didn't significantly drop my PSA, but did give me the classic side-effects), I don't count it. This was during what turned out to be an unusually prolonged diagnosis phase (bearing in mind it was pre-COVID).

User
Posted 03 Nov 2021 at 02:32

Steve, read your blog, both entertaining and informative, thanks. Love your art work! I presume it's sitting on your urologist's desk disguised as a Covid virus. Your physics background makes your observations all the more meaningful. I noticed a couple of key differences between the RT procedure you received and the system here ... no enemas and no Spaceoar here and I think, looking at the "bed" used for the procedure that beyond the alignment using the three tatts, there might not have been micro-adjustment of the "bed" each day using a CT scan  and gold seeds as a guide. Perhaps I need to go back to the hospital to take a few photos and ask some questions?

On diet ... I watched/listened to the links you provided and no doubt they do outline current state of the art thinking on the gut biome and its importance to EVERYTHING. What remains a question for me, and I may have missed this, is that removing testosterone from our system undoubtedly causes weight [fat] gain and apparently causes muscle loss. The seminar mentioned fasting, amongst many other things. I did this well before my prostate adventure but there's no way I'd try it now. I had a go at a medium fast and it left me almost incapable of reasonable physical activity. On a diet that would satisfy any guidelines there is just no margin of reserves for such a strain on the limits. My feeling is [and yes, this is just my opinion :-) ] that the hit that our systems take by removing testosterone needs something more than a really good diet because we are seriously messing with the normal function of our endocrine system and the way it "chooses" to prioritize digestive functions, such as fat and protein assimilation. 

While still on HT, my exercise, including running and cycling is on the way up and while I don't keep tabs on running performance I can say that I've raised my average speed on the bike by several km/hr over distances above 50km and more qualitatively, it now feels like fun rather than being almost depressing [hard to describe but almost black feeling].

I haven't searched the site yet for "fitness" but an oncologist I know suggested that being fit improves your chances of staying on top of cancer by 20% [sorry, no references for that one :-) ] so I'm not happy with the idea that we just have to put up with being knobbled for 3 years or so as a necessary side effect of HT. PSA willing, I'll also be limiting my HT to 18 months [from the end of RT] for the same reason.

Peter, must be great to be enjoying the water again!

Jules

edit: I'm only on hormone suppressants for max 3 years while there are some who have to take this stuff for the rest of their life. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's been dealing with this challenge for say 5 years [or more]. That must be very tough.

Edited by member 03 Nov 2021 at 04:51  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Oct 2021 at 00:20
There are plenty of posts about this - sadly, the search function is rubbish. It is more effective to log into the forum, open a new tab alongside and then use Google to find old posts!

The whole point of zoladex and its equivalents is to halt testosterone production so yes, you are experiencing a male menopause. Your body may also go through changes similar to those of an adolescent girl during puberty; muscle definition is reduced, ligaments soften and stretch, breast buds tingle, a fat layer is laid down for future pregnancy and breast feeding and the pelvis widens.

All in all, it tells you that the zoladex is doing its job and the shrinking testicles are no indicator of how quickly you will recover testosterone production once the HT ends

User
Posted 20 Oct 2021 at 01:00

Ah, thanks. I will attempt a search as you suggest.

I'm excruciatingly aware of the purpose and changes but while I'd noticed many references to concern about penis size I couldn't find anything on testes.

How quickly I resume testosterone production, or not, will have to remain a mystery for now I guess.

edit: success with the search and some very valuable insights, thanks again

Jules

Edited by member 20 Oct 2021 at 01:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 16:42

Like you, Microcolei, I too would like to read more on this topic!  In September 2017 I had a radical prostatectomy without nerve sparing and also had 25 lymph nodes removed (22 infected).  A follow up PSMA scan showed micro mets in my pelvic region lymph nodes so was prescribed hormone therapy for life.  This kicked off in October 2017 together with the usual course of doxetaxel in early 2018.  I usually take Decapeptyl but sometimes have Zoladex if I am overseas at the time treatment time comes around.  My question:  Is the reduction in testes and penis size I have experienced going to continue on its downward path or does it reach a nadir point?  Despite all this I can still experience a pleasurable, if dry, orgasm.  I remain grateful for small mercies!!

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 16:56

I was on Zoladex for two years. I would say my testes shrunk a little but nowhere near to 25% of their former size. I would say they were about 80% previous size, but I must admit I wasn't that interested in them, penis size seems more important (oh yerr, it's not the size, it's what you do with it). Anyway after Zoladex I have almost completely recovered size. 

If on Zoladex for life, I have know idea if things keep shrinking, I would guess there is a minimum size below which it doesn't go.  

Edited by member 26 Oct 2021 at 10:35  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 22:47

Regards testicle size, you need to be clear if you are measuring linear dimensions (length, diameter), or volume (which is what medical profession tend to use), as the difference in size between these is enormous.

I measured a reduction of volume from around 23cc down to about 5.5cc. This sounds like a large reduction, but it's nothing like that large in terms of a reduction in linear dimensions, which are only a reduction of about 1/3rd in length, diameter, etc.

I've just got my testosterone back in the last month. Not remeasured testicles since then, but I don't think they've increased in size yet. Only a small amount of the testicles produces Testosterone (Leydig cells) - most of the testicles is about sperm production, which is shut down by loss of Testosterone, and probably the part which shrinks. I don't know how much of that recovers - there certainly is some permanent damage to the sperm production structures during the loss of Testosterone (not that you are likely to be able to ejaculate any sperm that are produced in any case).

I've yet to see anyone report what happened to their testicle size after recovery of testosterone.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 21:46
Yes, my estimate was more in terms of volume than size. In size, possibly a 50 % decrease but I didn't measure them before hand [and neither did any of my medical people], largely because I was unaware that they would shrink. Laughably, the Zoladex pamphlet describes decrease in testes size as "less common". Meaningless description?
User
Posted 30 Oct 2021 at 23:27

So here is the Harvard research from 2013

https://ascopost.com/issues/april-15-2013/similar-outcomes-for-18-vs-36-months-of-androgen-blockade-in-high-risk-prostate-cancer-treated-with-radiation/ 

And here is the RADAR research findings 2018

https://www.pcf.org/news/18-month-adt-optimal-for-locally-advanced-prostate-cancer/ 

It isn't impossible to maintain fitness while on HT - it just takes a bit more effort. Irun has been running extreme marathons (like across the Sahara-type extreme) ever since diagnosis with metastatic PCa and lots of men here have continued to cycle, play rugby or whatever floats their boat. Loss of bone density is a major concern and, I think, underplayed by many oncology departments. When I first joined here, a large % of men on HT also had Zometa but it seems quite rare now - perhaps because Zometa also has some very unpleasant side effects.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 02:12

Hi,

just a response on the original topic. I was on Zoladex for 12 months alongside salvage radiation treatment. During that 12 months my testicles shrunk to about 40% of original size I think.  Following completion of Zoladex my testicles recovered back to about 80% of original size over 18 months. I didnt measure testosterone but sex drive and interest recovered completely.

Everyone is different but that's probably representative. For long term or permanent adt I have read that penis and testicles reduce to pre puberty size then stabilise at that.

Regards to all

John

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 03:13

Thanks Lyn, best for everyone to read and decide for themselves but 18 months looks pretty good to me.

A comment on exercise ... Up until the last few weeks I had been feeling that my inability to maintain my exercise might relate to some lack of willpower particularly when there's people who've kept their exercise up spectacularly through HT. Looking through various threads there's also many who haven't. Some of those who fell back were very active before HT and almost inexplicably flattened by the therapy.

I wonder if there was some basic difference in the diet of the two groups, with those who kept up high levels of activity being on a higher protein diet for one reason or another. If, for example, someone was in the habit of starting the day with eggs and bacon, that's serious protein where say fruit and cereal is more sugar and carbs.

I'm repeating myself here but I've significantly raised the level of protein in my diet and it's made an incredible difference. Throughout my HT I've persisted in going to the gym and trying to keep my exercise going but on a long downhill decline. I've been staggered by the improvement I've made in a very short space of time and while I have no idea what the physiological basis for this might be it looks as though the need for additional protein in our diets has been overlooked. Andy62 observed that measurements on body composition scale showed that exercise can actually reduce/burn muscle mass while on HT. If that is the case we're fighting a battle we can't win simply by willpower.

For men who've found it impossible to keep up the level of fitness they aspire to, please don't feel guilty. Check the level of protein in your diet. Maybe try some changes like eggs for breakfast and other increases in protein during the day. Maybe you can try reducing carbohydrates too. I've added whey protein powder to my diet and I'm very happy with the results.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 04:45

I also upped my percentage of protein in diet. I did this because my body composition scales showed I was otherwise burning muscle when exercising. My muscle loss has been very slow while on HT, combining exercise with higher protein diet.

I've tended to avoid eggs because of their choline content (in case it helps feed the prostate cancer, but I've no idea if it does), and I don't eat processed meats like ham and bacon anyway - one cancer is enough for me. Protein is mostly in the form of chicken and salmon.

One thing with a higher protein diet and exercise - avoid too much protein and exercise the day or two before a kidney function blood test, or you will get high creatinine levels, which look like chronic kidney disease.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2021 at 04:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 06:14
I wonder how vegetarians go with HT if protein is an issue. Always a slight challenge.

Anybody have personal experience?

Jules

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 06:30

Another slightly off topic comment ...

The Asco study showed, in terms of survival rates

for 5 year disease specific survival rates. 3 years of HT gave 97.6%  survival rate while 18 mths gave 96.4%

for 10 year survival both 18 mth and 3 years had an 87.2% survival rate.

Non disease specific rates had more variance but I suppose that means that other health issues contribute, which is no surprise but could effect choice of duration for RT.

Jules

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 10:30

My diagnosis was high risk locally advanced (or extreme risk because of high initial PSA >40 according to some research papers). My onco had me down for 18-36 months HT from the outset. I read some research papers which showed that getting PSA lower before starting RT was beneficial - one paper suggested getting it down to 1, and two more suggested getting it down to 0.1 before RT. My PSA was down to 5.29 when they suggested booking the RT, but I asked for longer. I worked out another 8 weeks would get me down to 0.1 at the rate it was dropping. In the event, the RT came through a week early and it was 0.12, but I was happy with that.

One research paper suggested if you got it down to 0.1, adjuvant HT (after RT) was not necessary, but neither I nor my onco were going to risk that. My PSA stayed <0.01 after the RT, so my onco said I could stop the HT anytime from 18 months. If it had been nearer 1 (maybe >0.5, I can't recall exactly what he said), he would have wanted me to do the full 36 months. The HT wasn't causing me any problems that I couldn't handle for a few more months for the chance of any slightly improved cure rate, so I elected to go on to 22 months. It's taken another 9-10 months after that for my testosterone to start returning, which is where I am now.

I also did an additional 6 months at the beginning on bicalutamide, but as that didn't work for me (didn't significantly drop my PSA, but did give me the classic side-effects), I don't count it. This was during what turned out to be an unusually prolonged diagnosis phase (bearing in mind it was pre-COVID).

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 11:06
There was a young man from Devizes

who had balls of 2 different sizes

one was small

hardly a ball at all

and the other was even smaller (insert mojo for tears0

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 14:52

I've been on Zoladex for 4 months prior to RT and now another 9 months post RT but I was told that I was up for 3 years of HT from the end of RT. If my psa numbers are ok though, I'll limit the Zoladex to what will amount to a total of 2 years, or 18 months post the end of RT. At the age of 74 I suspect it would be hard to recover testosterone production after 3 years of Zoladex!

Prof.Z I'm sure you're right about diet and the gut biome. There's been much discussion about the relationship between gut health in relation to both physical and mental health recently [Dr. Michael Mosely for one] but testosterone suppression looks as though it might need something more than just a good diet. You said you've lost 4 kilos in 4 months with some way to go, so I'm guessing you want to get your weight down. Do you know how your muscle mass is holding up?

At the risk of carrying on excessively about protein supplements, for anyone who is feeling they just won't last through 18 months or 3 years of HT, I know the feeling. After 6 months of HT I felt as though I'd aged 15 years and I'm not talking about penis or testes size. I was fatigued and my fitness had declined badly. The advantage of protein supplements is that a couple of tablespoons per day makes it certain that you've taken in enough protein to maintain or increase muscle mass without increasing fat. Maybe there's some stigma against this sort of approach as it's perceived to be "body builder" stuff.

Stuff I eat ... fish twice a week with oily fish like salmon featuring, nuts of many types, avocados [they're in season here], a wide variety and quantity of fruit, modest amounts of meat mainly as part of something like stir-fry, very little bread, rice, soy milk, yoghurt. 

I could be totally wrong about this but I suspect it would be very hard to keep up strength and stave off fatigue with HT on a vegetarian diet.

Edited by member 01 Nov 2021 at 21:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 23:46
Brilliant diet Steve!
User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 18:45
I'm currently aged 65 and had 3 yrs of Zoladex which finished June 2018. I was above averagely fit, active etc not overweight, ate well properly enough. During RT and Zoladex (included in HT was 2 yrs abiraterone, enzalutimide, prednisolone - Stampede trial) I tried to exercise as much as possible but sometimes just couldn't manage it. I put on a lot of weight, lost muscle, pretty tired etc, managed to get many of the expected side effects. It's taken quite a while but things are more or less back to what they were, a bit more weight to lose but generally able to do what I want physically. Even if they weren't I wouldn't be complaining.

Some people have said that if you're on HT for 3 yrs it takes same time to get over it - that seems right in my case.

Peter

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 21:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
..... I was above averagely fit, active etc not overweight, ate well properly enough. ..... I tried to exercise as much as possible but sometimes just couldn't manage it. I put on a lot of weight, lost muscle, pretty tired etc, managed to get many of the expected side effects.
Peter

Yes Peter, forgive me for the slight edit but that was the issue for me and has been the issue for others.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 21:52
A question for you Peter ... did you find you were tempted by/ate sweet things like chocolate between meals [more than you had before Zoladex]?
User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 19:00
Very occasionally I went for sugary sweets etc between meals but I was constantly aware of the 'danger'. Obviously it may be a simplification (or an excuse) I really think it was the HT and related effects that caused my weight gain seemingly overnight (it really felt like that one week was in my 32" waist jeans the next buying elastic/expanding things) and most around stomach. As I've said in past I would often cycle to work (only 6 miles), a bit of gym at lunchtime, cycle home and sometimes get out windsurfing after tea. I did take up paddleboarding for when I was a little 'tired' so I could still get on water. Back windsurfing now and paddling.

Peter

User
Posted 03 Nov 2021 at 02:32

Steve, read your blog, both entertaining and informative, thanks. Love your art work! I presume it's sitting on your urologist's desk disguised as a Covid virus. Your physics background makes your observations all the more meaningful. I noticed a couple of key differences between the RT procedure you received and the system here ... no enemas and no Spaceoar here and I think, looking at the "bed" used for the procedure that beyond the alignment using the three tatts, there might not have been micro-adjustment of the "bed" each day using a CT scan  and gold seeds as a guide. Perhaps I need to go back to the hospital to take a few photos and ask some questions?

On diet ... I watched/listened to the links you provided and no doubt they do outline current state of the art thinking on the gut biome and its importance to EVERYTHING. What remains a question for me, and I may have missed this, is that removing testosterone from our system undoubtedly causes weight [fat] gain and apparently causes muscle loss. The seminar mentioned fasting, amongst many other things. I did this well before my prostate adventure but there's no way I'd try it now. I had a go at a medium fast and it left me almost incapable of reasonable physical activity. On a diet that would satisfy any guidelines there is just no margin of reserves for such a strain on the limits. My feeling is [and yes, this is just my opinion :-) ] that the hit that our systems take by removing testosterone needs something more than a really good diet because we are seriously messing with the normal function of our endocrine system and the way it "chooses" to prioritize digestive functions, such as fat and protein assimilation. 

While still on HT, my exercise, including running and cycling is on the way up and while I don't keep tabs on running performance I can say that I've raised my average speed on the bike by several km/hr over distances above 50km and more qualitatively, it now feels like fun rather than being almost depressing [hard to describe but almost black feeling].

I haven't searched the site yet for "fitness" but an oncologist I know suggested that being fit improves your chances of staying on top of cancer by 20% [sorry, no references for that one :-) ] so I'm not happy with the idea that we just have to put up with being knobbled for 3 years or so as a necessary side effect of HT. PSA willing, I'll also be limiting my HT to 18 months [from the end of RT] for the same reason.

Peter, must be great to be enjoying the water again!

Jules

edit: I'm only on hormone suppressants for max 3 years while there are some who have to take this stuff for the rest of their life. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's been dealing with this challenge for say 5 years [or more]. That must be very tough.

Edited by member 03 Nov 2021 at 04:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Nov 2021 at 09:49

Steve, I did understand that you weren't quite at the RT stage yet but I wasn't sure of where, in the time scale leading up to RT, you were exactly.

I had 4 months of zoladex prior to the RT and I was guessing you might have been subjected to a period of hormone blasting given you seem to be closing in on the RT phase. Pre and post RT the HT does take its toll.

I've had trouble understanding the mental side of this and like you I've had a range of emotional feelings that I'd rather not have experienced. On the amusing side, when my testosterone was first obliterated I had a period where from my emasculated perspective I was suddenly struck by the sexuality of so much of every day life, seen from the outside so to speak.

At least physics is close to pure science. I'm not so sure about dietetics and nutrition [oops, perhaps I shouldn't have said that]

Jules

User
Posted 03 Nov 2021 at 10:48
Pah, I could be suffering from premature senility but I really don't want to know.

3 or 4 months of RT sounds ok in terms of lowering your psa before the RT action begins. It would probably be reassuring to know what your psa is though.

In some ways I suspect all of these systems are shambolic with poor communication between GPs, urologists, oncologists and various zones of hospitals so it feels as though it's left to the patients to tie it all together.