Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Dad diagnosed - looking for some guidance

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 17:53

Hi all,

First post here and sorry if it’s not etiquette to start new threads as I’m sure people ask the same thing all the time! My dad has just been diagnosed with Pca, and to be honest just feel in complete shock at the moment. I was hoping someone may be able to help shed some light on what happens next, as my dad always tries to protect us so not really sure the extent of the condition on what the follow ups are (he won’t let any of us go along to the appointments with him). What I do know is that he is Gleason 7 (4+3), 11/28 cores (?), PSA 8, and T2b. He apparently has a bone scan next - which has really worried me as understand that’s usually when they suspect there is mets- but not sure if it’s usual procedure? Also subject to the results of his bone scan it looks like he’s been offered RT or robotic prostatectomy - any advice really appreciated. 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 08:38

Thanks all for your responses, that’s extremely helpful and reassuring to hear. He is hopefully having his bone scan this week, I will keep you informed as to how he gets on and what treatment he opts for (HIFU has also been mentioned?). 

thanks again - can not tell you how much better I slept last night after reading the messages. 

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 22:02

I wouldn't get too stressed about it. Getting prostate cancer is basically a matter of being a man and living long enough. Incidence goes pretty much in proportion to age: around 60% of men have it at 60, 70% at 70, and so on. Localised prostate cancer is an eminently treatable condition. Most men with prostate cancer will die with it, not from it.

From the figures you've quoted, it's EXTREMELY likely that your dad's cancer is localised and he'll be treated with curative intent. The bone scan is completely routine and a standard part of the diagnostic process. With a PSA of 8 his cancer is very, very unlikely to have spread to the bones.

Most of us here have "been there" and come through it. I was personally diagnosed in 2018 at the age of 55, had radiotherapy in 2019 and here I am living a happy life free from cancer in 2021.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 22 Nov 2021 at 22:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Dec 2021 at 15:07

So Dad has just been to follow up appointment following his bone scan. There is a small mark on his rib that they’re not sure on, so they’re now going to do a PET scan to look further, which will be in the next ten days. The waiting is absolute agony and it seems like we are constantly thinking we are going to get an answer and then we are told more tests are required. It doesn’t help that I’m not at the appointments so never sure I’m getting the full story…!

User
Posted 14 Jan 2022 at 01:07
I think it is good to have a positive attitude and hope for a good outcome but also important to be realistic. PSA doesn't really indicate how serious the problem is, only that there might be a problem that needs investigating. A man can have a PSA of 80 and no cancer or a PSA of 3 and multiple bone mets. So while it is good that his PSA is 'only' 8, this does not mean that he will be on a curative path or that the suspicious area is unlikely to be a met. I think I would be frustrated by the delays caused by these multiple scans but if the outcome is that he can go into radical treatment with confidence, it will have been worth the wait.

If it is concluded that the suspicious area on his spine is a met, it doesn't make a huge difference to longevity whether there is one bone met or 10 bone mets seen. We have (or have had) members here with bone mets who are still here and living good lives 10 or 15 years after diagnosis.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 16:01

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you Elaine and Lyn, both incredibly helpful as always. So is best approach perhaps to go for a second opinion at the RM, and also meet with Onco at current hospital? 

Sam

Yes, that is what I would do. Contact the urology nurse and let him/her know that you would like a 2nd opinion. Your private health provider may want a letter from the GP and your preferred onco at RM may also want a referral letter from the GP or from hospital urology department. It will work out quite well if you see the RM first snd then the local oncologist as you will have an idea in your head of what the RM might offer privately or on the NHS and can make a comparison. 

Whatever treatment plan your dad is offered, it is unlikely to be curative. SABR to the bone met will slow that tumour, stabilise the bone and reduce any pain or other symptoms but it won't treat the microscopic spread that has probably already happened

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 11:03

Met with urologist today from RM. We have decided to go down the surgery route as it will be the best way to clinically assess once and for all what the spine is (as PSA post op will give true picture on what’s going on). 

Disadvantages are that given disease burden at prostate, it is not going to be fully nerve sparing (at least on right side), and urologist thinks there’s a 50% chance of recovering erectile function (got to admit I cringed a bit here and wanted to sink away into the floor), but nevertheless on balance thinks it’s the best route for dad. Overall - feedback was that he needs to lose 7-8kg ahead of surgery to reduce complications both during and after. 

Surgery date is 16th May, still can’t believe we have landed here given where we were a month ago - what a real rollercoaster.

Quick update on mum, she’s recovered super well from surgery and 5 days radiotherapy booked in for two - three weeks time, all looking positive there. On a personal level she really struggled with return to work and her management have just not been supportive at all (asking her to take holiday instead of sick leave!) - so this week she took the tough decision after 21 years to throw it in! Big change for her but if the last 6 months have taught us anything, health and family comes above all else.

Keep safe everyone x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 22:02

I wouldn't get too stressed about it. Getting prostate cancer is basically a matter of being a man and living long enough. Incidence goes pretty much in proportion to age: around 60% of men have it at 60, 70% at 70, and so on. Localised prostate cancer is an eminently treatable condition. Most men with prostate cancer will die with it, not from it.

From the figures you've quoted, it's EXTREMELY likely that your dad's cancer is localised and he'll be treated with curative intent. The bone scan is completely routine and a standard part of the diagnostic process. With a PSA of 8 his cancer is very, very unlikely to have spread to the bones.

Most of us here have "been there" and come through it. I was personally diagnosed in 2018 at the age of 55, had radiotherapy in 2019 and here I am living a happy life free from cancer in 2021.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 22 Nov 2021 at 22:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 22:52

Hello,

My husband was diagnosed earlier this year with similar numbers. PSA 8.3 Gleason 4+3 but was T3a. He had a bone scan and they said it had spread to his pelvic bone, we got a second opinion and PSMA pet scan which revealed this wasn’t the case. It had spread to one lymph node though….maybe two.

He has started on HT already, and is now booked to have RARP (robotic assisted radical prostatectomy), but is very likely to also need RT when recovered from op. He is being treated with curable intent so we are hoping for the best. We’ve made lots of lifestyle & diet changes too so we can help ourselves as much as possible.

It must be so difficult if he won’t let you go with him to any appointments. With it being a new diagnosis, hopefully in time that will change. 

Best of luck to your dad and try not to worry too much. (Easier said than done I know…and we were all there worrying just as much at one point…and still have some of those days) As many people will tell you it isn’t a death sentence and there’s so much that can be done. 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 00:40

Hi,

We have many a family member here looking for support and also providing it for a man/men often acting as an intermediary as for various reasons men don't want to post directly or in some cases know concerned family are here looking to help them.

I am going to make a few suggestions that you may find helpful. Even if Dad won't let you attend appointments, it would be useful if you could ascertain all the details of his diagnosis and put this into his profile/bio as information in threads tends to be not easily found over time. Members are able to click on any post of a member's avatar and see details and this sometimes helps in making more meaningful replies.

Sometimes you are able to find answers to questions by using the search facility but in truth it doesn't work that well and sometimes it is easier to Google to find posts people have made as these are anomalously posted on the net.

This Charity does provide some very good information about PCa and various treatments in the Tool Kit and I recommend you download this or ask for a free copy https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org//our-publications/all-publications/tool-kit?limit=100

Edited by member 23 Nov 2021 at 00:45  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 08:38

Thanks all for your responses, that’s extremely helpful and reassuring to hear. He is hopefully having his bone scan this week, I will keep you informed as to how he gets on and what treatment he opts for (HIFU has also been mentioned?). 

thanks again - can not tell you how much better I slept last night after reading the messages. 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 08:52
How old is your Dad?

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 09:12

He’s 60

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 20:06

Quick update - bone scan today and (once again) wasn’t allowed to attend! He asked if the radiologist saw anything and she said a small mark on one of the ribs, but nothing anywhere else. Apparently could be a bruise but now back to waiting game… hoping for appointment next week. Thanks all

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 22:43

So sorry to read this! It’s such a difficult time getting the diagnosis and then all the waiting. Hopefully they will both have a plan in place soon and things will seem a little better. 
Fingers crossed whatever was seen on your dads rib is nothing. As I told you before my OH got a positive result on pelvis from the bone scan but that changed with a second opinion and PSMA pet scan. 
Take care 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2021 at 15:07

So Dad has just been to follow up appointment following his bone scan. There is a small mark on his rib that they’re not sure on, so they’re now going to do a PET scan to look further, which will be in the next ten days. The waiting is absolute agony and it seems like we are constantly thinking we are going to get an answer and then we are told more tests are required. It doesn’t help that I’m not at the appointments so never sure I’m getting the full story…!

User
Posted 08 Dec 2021 at 18:01
Unfortunately, there is not one all embracing test and patients can be subjected to several tests in order that consultants can establish if and to what extent they are affected by PCa and even then conclusions are not always 100% correct. Sometimes there is a suspicion that despite negative tests a man is affected by PCa, so some men have repeat or additional tests, all causing prolonged anxiety and stress for the men (and family) who are on tenterhooks, sometimes for a long period which again is extended as their response to treatment(s) is established. Even then the situation can be exacerbated by cancelled and deferred appointments. It can indeed be a tough and particularly rocky journey for some and not easy for anybody.

Hope Dad soon gets a determination

Barry
User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 16:50

Hi all,

just a quick updated, dad had his PSMA PET CT scan just before Christmas (23rd Dec), it was cancelled twice but fortunately the third day he got in. The MDT meeting is tomorrow and then next week we will have the results from what is hopefully the final scan. Will report back once results are in, hopefully the mark from bone scan was nothing but I’m fearing the worst…!

thanks all

User
Posted 07 Jan 2022 at 11:51

One more update… MDT was delayed until today and Urology nurse called this morning. The spot on the rib was judged to be nothing, however the PET CT did flag another mark on his spine. We now have to await a date for an(other) MRI to look at what this is…..!

In the meantime it seems they want to meet with my dad to discuss treatment options, which seems slightly counter intuitive given the nature of this other spot has not been properly established?

User
Posted 08 Jan 2022 at 11:26

Hi

very similar diagnosis to me 19 years ago

i had RP followed by RT, PSA now 5 waiting on scan before starting HT

they gave me a bone scan after the RT but negative 

tesearch your dads options, I’ve had no problems with water works but understand some men have with robotic

look at brachytherapy, speak to oncologist and urologist before deciding, good luck 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 10:40

Update from appointment today (unfortunately i am receiving this second hand from my dad)… confirmation that a solitary spot was shown on my dad’s spine (rib confirmed to be nothing) from the PSMA PET CT.

They do not want to commence hormone therapy ahead of doing another MRI on the spine. I can only assume this is to confirm the nature of the lesion, but from everything I have read I am fearing the worst scenario. Why would they not just get hormone therapy going right away?? 

Feel completely lost. Assuming it is just one metastasis I am hopeful that it is caught so early, that the prognosis is not too bad and treatment will keep it at bay for a while. Now to wait for another scan.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 13:30
It's possible HT is being deferred so as not to shrink suspect spot before MRI gives clearer picture of what it is.
Barry
User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 14:02
Thanks Barry, and yes I think that’s the case. From all I’ve read PSMA PET CT seem to be very accurate though, so not sure how additive an MRI will be (obviously I’m not the expert though!!).

Thanks again,

Sam

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 14:32
Hi

radiologists have been looking at spinal mri for possible mets for years , it is a completely different modality and the image can be manipulated to optimise diagnostics . I would re iterate above comment that it would be rare to have a met with a psa of 8 .

If your Dad has not had an mri before please warn him its noisy and he will need to be still on his back in the machine for a while .

Carpe Diem 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 18:42

Thank you Gareth. That’s really helpful insight. Apparently the MDT were a bit perplexed by his results so it sounds like the MRI will just give them the confirmation either way.

He hated the MRI first time so sure this won’t be any easier!! 

will report back when we have (hopefully) final diagnosis and treatment plan set….. thanks all,

Sam

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 20:07

Update from appointment today (unfortunately i am receiving this second hand from my dad)… confirmation that a solitary spot was shown on my dad’s spine (rib confirmed to be nothing) from the PSMA PET CT.

They do not want to commence hormone therapy ahead of doing another MRI on the spine. I can only assume this is to confirm the nature of the lesion, but from everything I have read I am fearing the worst scenario. Why would they not just get hormone therapy going right away?? 

Feel completely lost. Assuming it is just one metastasis I am hopeful that it is caught so early, that the prognosis is not too bad and treatment will keep it at bay for a while. Now to wait for another scan.

Hi Keepfighting

I get the impression you are spending a lot of time researching the various possibilities. Whilst I understand this ……. it is very easy when doing this to focus on the worse possible outcomes. It’s a bit like reading the fact sheets that come with tablet’s  ……. who would ever take an aspirin if we thought we might get any of the nasty side effects mentioned!

From what you have said it’s unlikely dads PCa will not be treated with curable radical treatment. I agree with above that hormone treatment has probably not started because they don’t want to shrink the cancerous cells before the next scan. Also, if dads likely to have radical  treatment in the next month or so they probably wouldn’t want to put him through HT and it’s side effects if it’s going to make little difference. PCa is generally a slow growing cancer so waiting  few months is unlikely to make much difference esp. with a PSA as low as dads.

Meantime what dad can do is prepare himself for treatment e.g. get fitter and do pelvic floor exercises.

Stay in touch.

SL

User
Posted 13 Jan 2022 at 12:29

Thank you all for helpful responses, it’s really comforting to have this forum! Will keep you updated, as things progress 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2022 at 01:07
I think it is good to have a positive attitude and hope for a good outcome but also important to be realistic. PSA doesn't really indicate how serious the problem is, only that there might be a problem that needs investigating. A man can have a PSA of 80 and no cancer or a PSA of 3 and multiple bone mets. So while it is good that his PSA is 'only' 8, this does not mean that he will be on a curative path or that the suspicious area is unlikely to be a met. I think I would be frustrated by the delays caused by these multiple scans but if the outcome is that he can go into radical treatment with confidence, it will have been worth the wait.

If it is concluded that the suspicious area on his spine is a met, it doesn't make a huge difference to longevity whether there is one bone met or 10 bone mets seen. We have (or have had) members here with bone mets who are still here and living good lives 10 or 15 years after diagnosis.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2022 at 09:26

Thanks Lyn - current position is definitely preparing for the worst, but hoping (praying) for the best.

Hoping for confirmation of date for MRI today, MDT next Friday and then results following week. 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 13:23

Quick update. Given MRI was on Weds they didn’t have chance to report ahead of MDT today, as such we now have to wait another week until MDT next Friday…. really disappointed as was hoping for some news today but if he hasn’t been discussed, then feels like there is nothing at all we can do but wait..

User
Posted 29 Jan 2022 at 15:45

update - he was discussed at the MDT on Friday and has been notified that he has a phone appointment Monday morning. First time we’ve had phone appointment and not face to face… obviously don’t want to read too much into it but glad the waiting is almost finally over and we will know one way or another what his treatment pathway is.

In other news, my mum (who was diagnosed after him with breast cancer), is now three weeks post surgery and recovering really well. Keeping positive!

will update on Monday. Good weekends all, 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2022 at 10:58

Morning all,

I post today with some bad news, unfortunately the spot on dad’s spine has been confirmed as a met. There are no others showing up on scans but still he is now advanced. 

obviously in shock, but in a strange way feel slightly relieved that the waiting is over. He’s going straight onto hormone tablets. Apparently oncologist will call to speak re treatment soon, but think it may be SBRT on the spot.

he’s super strong and I know will fight it with everything he’s got. We have a long winding road ahead and I’m sure a lot of ups and downs, but trying to keep positive. Thank you all for all your support so far and will keep posting here for updates.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2022 at 21:58
Sorry to see this but I think you already knew that the doctors had a strong suspicion. Hopeful that his response to HT is rapid and lasts for many years!

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 08:21

Thanks Lynn, as you say had a strong suspicion this would be the case. Received prescription through post for 150mg bicalutamide and Zoladex yesterday. Slightly frustrating that we have heard nothing from the hospital since the 20 min call on Monday apart from receiving the prescription. He’s started the bicalutamide yesterday, and assume we will need to book on for Zoladex injections in a few weeks.

No word on Onco appointment yet, hoping fairly soon so we get some visibility on treatment pathway. 

Thanks as ever,

S

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 09:18

Sorry to read this news. So much that can still be done though. I watched a video that someone posted on here a while ago with regards to Oligo metastasis, it was an American doctor (obviously can’t mention names) speaking at a prostate cancer conference and I found it really interesting. 

Hope your mum is still recovering well too x

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 09:23

Thank you Elaine! In a strange way there’s some relief to just know the outcome after months of tests. He’s strong and up for the fight, so let’s see how things go! Mum recovering well thanks, we have appointment today to confirm if chemo or RT for follow up after lumpectomy (fortunately she was stage 1A so the other end of the spectrum!).

I read your story, and hope your OH is recovering well! All the best,

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 09:53

Yes I can understand that, the waiting around not knowing really is the worst part. I can’t even imagine what you’ve all been going through with both your parents diagnosis…really good to know they are strong though and getting through it all. Fingers crossed your mum won’t need further treatment.

And thank you, he’s doing really well. Just a step at a time….but feeling more positive x

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 15:24

Quick question if I may. We’ve heard from the Urology nurse who has said we will hear from an Oncologist in “next few weeks”. Is this standard? I expected we would have follow up pretty rapidly…. Grateful for views

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 20:14
He has started his treatment immediately - there isn't very much else for the oncologist to do for the time being. they will probably want to do a PSA test in a few weeks to check that the HT is working effectively.

Have you checked whether he should go to the GP practice for his Zoladex injection or whether the first one is being done at the hospital? Best to book the appointment now as the GP or hospital clinic will need some warning to order the Zoladex and (if the GP practice) to ensure that the appointment is with a nurse who knows how to use Zoladex depots.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2022 at 21:31

Thanks Lyn, that’s massively reassuring. We have the Zoladex and intention is to do at GP. Getting appointment booked tomorrow.  Thanks again

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 08:40

Hi all,

Back again with another question. My dad has been doing some research and is looking at potentially referring privately to the Marsden for the oncologist appointment and treatment plan thereafter. As it stands, all his diagnostics have been done through NHS (save PSMA which we did privately to expedite). 

The reason for going private is that he wants to be treated at the Marsden (we have had a couple of family members go there and it’s been excellent), and his private work insurance will cover him to do this. The negatives from my perspective are that we aren’t really close (approx 1.5 hours), so logistically for treatment it won’t be the easiest, and I have read several places that private for cancer isn’t really the be end and end all. 

I’d be really grateful for anyones shared experience, I completely understand why he wants to go to Marsden (+ our hospital hasn’t been fantastic if I’m honest), but is there anything we should be aware of? Can he actually be referred to the Marsden as NHS? Or could he at some point switch back to NHS whilst at the Marsden?

Thanks as ever,

Sam

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 10:41
I don't think it would be a good idea to jump away from your hospital right now - wait and see whether they are going to offer SABR to the hotspot first (many hospitals wouldn't so the fact that it has been mentioned to your dad is hopeful).

Anyone can ask for a referral anywhere for a second opinion on the NHS but if he has private health he may as well use it. He can ask to see an oncologist at the RM without having to commit to moving his care there.

In all honesty, there may be very little benefit in going private for advanced cancer. The standard approach would be hormone therapy, probably with early chemo or apalutimide, and then when the hormone stops working add another one. Treatment plan with a private provider will be exactly the same but you will be sure of seeing the consultant every few months rather than a registrar.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 11:32

Hi Sam,

My husband got referred to RM on NHS and we live in Manchester. It was a urology referral though as he was going to have the op. As it turned out the waiting times were longer than we expected so we ended up paying private with the same surgeon but at LBH. We stayed in an apartment in London for 3 weeks around surgery (which was great for us) but I realise this wouldn’t be a good option for everyone and logistics have to be considered before making such a big decision. There is a lot to be said about being happy with your hospital and consultant though, it made such a difference to us. So as Lyn said you could still get the second opinion without committing to treatment there.

We initially paid for a private second opinion at the RM as our local hospital MDT confirmed bone met in his pelvis. All his scans were sent to RM MDT and they disagreed with original diagnosis…he had the G68 PSMA pet scan at this point which sided with the RM MDT. (Thankfully)

We had already prepared ourselves for the advanced diagnosis but we still wanted to go down the radical treatment path and then deal with the bone met later. I had received information about the Atlanta trial where one of the arms was what we wanted but of course you can’t choose. I did often feel like I was clutching at straws but I was constantly looking for a route with curable intent as I had the belief that anything was possible.

Best of luck with whatever decision he makes.

Elaine

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 12:18

Thank you Elaine and Lyn, both incredibly helpful as always. So is best approach perhaps to go for a second opinion at the RM, and also meet with Onco at current hospital? 

Also Elaine - Atlanta trial is something we have looked into and will mention to Onco, but as you say there’s a chance he’s in the control group, and also it’s clearly speculative and v.unlikely to be curative! Looking at all options but really appreciate the guidance.

He’s had his 6th hormone tablet and doing well, no side effects to report but obviously aware it’s v.early days and he hasn’t had Zoladex depot as yet.

Sam

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 16:01

Sam

Yes, that is what I would do. Contact the urology nurse and let him/her know that you would like a 2nd opinion. Your private health provider may want a letter from the GP and your preferred onco at RM may also want a referral letter from the GP or from hospital urology department. It will work out quite well if you see the RM first snd then the local oncologist as you will have an idea in your head of what the RM might offer privately or on the NHS and can make a comparison. 

Whatever treatment plan your dad is offered, it is unlikely to be curative. SABR to the bone met will slow that tumour, stabilise the bone and reduce any pain or other symptoms but it won't treat the microscopic spread that has probably already happened

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 16:06

PS if he was to be offered the Atlanta trial, don't discount it. Even the control arm is a better standard of treatment than he is likely to get on the NHS and with the benefit of much closer monitoring

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 18:02

thanks so much, all makes a lot of sense. Plan of action is now to get request second opinion with RM tomorrow and get that moving. I am also looking at contacting the Atlanta trial to get a better idea of it.

Will keep you updated, thanks again 

Sam

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 18:29

Not much point contacting the trial directly - you need the oncologist or urologist to refer him. Atlantic website has a map of the trial sites. 

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 15:59

Not much point contacting the trial directly - you need the oncologist or urologist to refer him. 

Yes a referral is needed but personally I found it very useful to have made the contact with the trial team prior to discussing with my local consultant. They were very helpful and even telephoned to discuss the options with me.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 16:40

Yes I contacted the trial directly. They emailed me all the information which was good to read. It wasn’t a trial that was available to us here in Manchester so would have had to get referred somewhere else if we had wanted to join. 

User
Posted 14 Feb 2022 at 20:02

Hi all,

We had first Onco appointment today during which they set out the treatment plan for dad. Really liked the oncologist and spent an hour speaking through treatment options. Current plan is as follows -

- Zoladex starts tomorrow 

- Apalutamide starts in three weeks 

- IMRT to prostate, 20 fractions (55gy). Planned for three months time

- SABR to spine, 3 fractions. Planned for 5-6 months time

We had a really good discussion around Dox vs Apal upfront, and relative benefits of each. All in all came away from appointment feeling happy with plan. The only slight spanner is they’re still not 100% convinced on the spine met so they want to do some more blood tests to rule out other possibilities (they said 90% prostate but still not definite…).

Grateful for everyone’s views on treatment plan!!

Thanks and happy valentines!

Edited by member 14 Feb 2022 at 21:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2022 at 13:16

Also forgot to say this was the first Onco appointment, we have second opinion with RM booked in three weeks time. Thanks a lot for all the support.

User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 16:32

All,

Quick update (this is also a really nice diary to look back at what’s happened!). Second opinion today at the RM, the consultant was brilliant and said they’re not convinced that the spot on the spine is a met despite PSMA PET CT and MRI correlate… He said hes seen two cases like this before and one was a met and one wasn’t, they want to do a fusion MRI scan to confirm. Also don’t think it’s Myleoma… 

Dad was due to start Aplutamide on Monday but consultant wants to stop that until we know.

Trying not to get hopes up but some really unexpected news. Will update as we go as always.

thanks 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 18:28

Sounds really positive. We were in exactly the same position where the RM didn’t think it was mets in my husband pelvis. I felt the same though that I didn’t want to over think or get excited just in case. 
No matter what now atleast you know you’ve tried everything you can to get as much information about diagnosis and treatment.

Will keep everything crossed you get even more good news 🤞🏼

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 18:19

Hi all,

Had results today from follow up MRI. Consultant at the RM really does not think that lesion on spine is met despite the positive psma pet ct, so is recommending downgrade to stage 2 and proceeding with curative dose of radiotherapy of surgery.

Honestly I’m in shock and just feel numb, would have thought would be jumping for joy but don’t seem to really be able to process it. Maybe it will come in the days to come but at the moment it just doesn’t seem real.

I just want to say a massive thank you to all those on the forum, we would not have got a second opinion if not for reading the posts here.

All the best

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 11:03

Met with urologist today from RM. We have decided to go down the surgery route as it will be the best way to clinically assess once and for all what the spine is (as PSA post op will give true picture on what’s going on). 

Disadvantages are that given disease burden at prostate, it is not going to be fully nerve sparing (at least on right side), and urologist thinks there’s a 50% chance of recovering erectile function (got to admit I cringed a bit here and wanted to sink away into the floor), but nevertheless on balance thinks it’s the best route for dad. Overall - feedback was that he needs to lose 7-8kg ahead of surgery to reduce complications both during and after. 

Surgery date is 16th May, still can’t believe we have landed here given where we were a month ago - what a real rollercoaster.

Quick update on mum, she’s recovered super well from surgery and 5 days radiotherapy booked in for two - three weeks time, all looking positive there. On a personal level she really struggled with return to work and her management have just not been supportive at all (asking her to take holiday instead of sick leave!) - so this week she took the tough decision after 21 years to throw it in! Big change for her but if the last 6 months have taught us anything, health and family comes above all else.

Keep safe everyone x