Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Incontinence recovery time scale experiences

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 15:45

I'm now over 3 months post robotic prostatectomy with no improvement in the severe incontinence experienced from day 1. Although mostly dry at night and whilst seated, I have zero control when standing or walking. I'm doing pelvic floor exercises x3 a day religeously. Try as I might, I'm unable to get from sitting in a chair to the downstairs loo, with any semblance of control, let alone stand in the kitchen to prepare food.

Whilst I know everyone is different and I read that improvements in continence are possible up to a year, I'm becoming increasingly despondent at the complete lack of any sign of improvement and the significant negative impact that incontinence is having on my quality of life.

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone else who has also continued to experience severe incontinence at 3 months post op and whether they gained any significant control/improvement as time went on. 

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 22:21
I think the bottom line is different, and what matters is your outcome. There are some on this forum who are magically free of incontinence problems after a couple of days, and some who really struggle and may ultimately need artificial sphincters fitting.

I am somewhere in between. Incontinence was a struggle for several months - though to be fair I tried to do everything I would have done anyway - but started to improve between 4 to 6 months. By about 8 months I ended up where I am now, I need to put a pad in my knickers every day but some days it stays pretty dry, others it gets fairly full. There is no way of telling in advance!

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 20:56
Over the years, I have seen many men on here become despondent and then make a sudden improvement - it is not always the case that continence improves in a linear way. Some men have no progress for weeks and then rapid improvement in a few days - often between months 3 - 6. Some men seem to get stuck for a while and then see it getting better as they come up to the 1 year mark.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 21:15
Yorvik

I am 4 months post surgery and yesterday was my first day with virtually dry pads. Today, I lasted 7 hours on one Tena level 2 and only changed it because I felt I ought to. . I do not believe it is a coincidence that the improvement follows two visits to a pelvic health physio.

The first thing she did was measure the strength and endurance of my PF, both of which she said were strong. That was the proof I needed that not only was I working the right muscle, but that I had been working it effectively. Then she explained how the PF is used in all our movements and how easy it is to tire it out by over exercising. I was given some Pilates type exercises to do daily and advised to rest my PF by laying flat on my back for 10 to 20 minutes in the afternoon.

Before seeing the physio I was distressed and thinking I may be one of the unlucky ones who don't achieve continence. Now, I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

If you can, I really recommend seeing a pelvic health physio.

Peter

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 07:44

Hello all

Just wish to post (this is my first) as a newbie to the forum to say I am really grateful for the stories and shared experiences. I’m 50 and 3 weeks post RARP and am finding the incontinence not just frustrating but emotionally  draining. Despondency is a good word. I know it is early days but I thought I would breeze through it. The reality is different. 

I had a bad day yesterday hence the need to seek some support - an embarrassing band demeaning pubic wetting. 

Thank you for sharing.It helps 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 09:18

Hello Hatters,

I concur,  despondency, draining, and limiting in one's life as a result of leaking. even to the point that when I go out I carry a small rucksack of essentials / spare clothes in the event of excessive leakage. I even got to the point of calling the PCUK nurses, number above, just for reassurance and advice.  

3 weeks, is early days - rest, gentle exercise, sip water thru the day, consider cutting out caffeine and alcohol. 

May today be a better day, I always hope it will be for me.

P.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 18:04

An update guys. I am now 6 and a half months post op and 99% dry. Actually. 100% for the last two days. Played tennis this morning for two hours and no leak at all. I prefer Tena pads, level 1, because they are thin and have a decent spread, but each to his own, they all do a job. Once I have exhausted my current stock, I will switch to protective shields, mainly for confidence and the odd spot that will surely happen. My point is that I was, like you, distressed and despondent early on, but now I can say that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel for those of us who have not been blessed with early continence. 

Best wishes, Peter

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 11:49

Based on my experience, Anthony. 

If you can feel the leak, that's good. In the early days I didn't know what the Old Chap was doing. When I did start to feel a leak, I did squeeze to try and stop it and then go to the loo. Sometimes there was nothing there, either because it had all gone into my pad, or the feeling was a false alarm. Even now, I sometimes feel I have been too late to stop a leak, but my pad is dry. Brain playing games with me. 

I was concerned that running to the loo too frequently could become a bad habit, but the PCUK nurse advised that in the early stages after catheter removal it was far too soon to worry about bladder training.

Peter

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 19:38

Thanks Chris - I can slow, if not always fully shut off mid flow. An incontinence nurse said if I could do that then I must be doing pelvic floor exercises correctly. 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 20:44
The two apps sound similar, with slow holds and quick pulse exercises. The physio was recommended by the surgeon at the 6 week review. Tips picked up include not doing the 3rd session too late in a day as the muscles can get tired ( probably why I leak most late afternoon / evening ) - maintaining fluid intake by sipping water thru the day rather than drinking say 400 ml in one go.

P.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 09:35

Hi Hatter, Yes it is definitely a useful website you get a lot of diverse experiences and views. Three weeks is very early in the recovery so things have every chance of getting better.

If you have many questions and experience s to report, then start a new thread (it can be a bit awkward on this website, I write my posts in Word and copy and paste to website as some times it crashes). The advantage of having your own thread is it groups everything together, so it is a bit like keeping a diary you can refer back to.

Good luck.

Dave

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 10:02

Hi Hatter

I'm in exact same position as you I'm 49 and also 3 weeks post op and wrongly thought my age would lessen the incontinence effects but alas I was so wrong. I'm doing the pelvic floor exercises religiously now so 🤞. 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 22:28

It has certainly been non linear in my case. I'm now 3 months post RALP and the line would be flat for the first two and a half months at least after initial slight improvement. The line would go down as well sometimes after having some good days with minimal leakage suddenly back down again to frequent leakage. I finally succumbed to Covid a few weeks ago and found it got much worse during that which I suppose is a general weakness of the body and all muscles. I'm still not quite ready to discard the pads which are the vivactive ones allowing me to do all normal activities again. If the UI incontinence didn't improve from now which I'm sure it will I'm still ahead as I had my first post op PSA test this week which was 0.01 so well worth going through the whole process.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 13:31

I was the same on Day 1 and for a few days after that. Gradually things improve and then seemed to plateau or even go back occasionally. Leaks then gradually reduce without you even realising it. Now 4 months on from the op only a few very minor leaks usually with a full bladder.  Would highly recommend Vivactive pads Active Fit allowing normal activities fairly soon. Am now back playing cricket, golf and tennis with no leaking on the field of play.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 21:39

Anthony, You will probably find continence improves fairly quickly in the sitting and lying positions. Standing and being active on your feet takes a little longer to sort out. My progress was frustratingly slow at first but now just over three months post op, I've had a rapid improvement which is still progressing. I did end up seeing a pelvic floor physio which for me proved to be a big help. He ultrasound scanned my squeezes. It indicated the squeezes were strong but not concentrated in the optimum area. I was focussing effort in the middle of the pelvic muscle whereas the focus needs to be on the front where the urethra passes through the pelvic muscle. If you focus on "nuts to guts" you can't go far wrong. Good luck with the recovery. Chris

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 10:38

Yorvik, thanks for that information. It has confirmed my suspicions about the absorption capacity of Tena pads. I guess the claims they make must be based on laboratory conditions and not under typical wearing conditions. Pleased to hear your leakage is still improving albeit slowly. Chris

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 06:41
Ameno

Always worth getting any infection concerns checked out.

Make sure you are drinking plenty but avoid caffeine and alcohol they irritate and reduce control. I found it helpful to measure my output, also has the benefit you can check it's clear and as white as possible so you know you are drinking enough.

Leaking on exertion and during orgasm took a long time to clear up, still have the occasional mishap after 7 years but nothing that requires anything more than regular pants!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 10:04

Hi Ameno, the fact that you are able to go for long walks with out problem shows you are exercising a good degree of control. It's taken me a while to control that to an occasional dribble level. You are only three weeks post catheter and probably doing better than average. Getting up and lifting still catch me by surprise and the instinct is to clamp up, although probably too late to stifle the dribble. It gradually becomes second nature to squeeze in these situations before maneuvering and it should start to do the trick, if you are squeezing correctly.

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 10:20

Hi Ameno. Sounds like you are progressing well. I am just over a week post catheter and going for a short walk causes a full pad. I know I’m leaking but can’t stop it. It’s odd because I can stop my urine flow when going to the toilet, maybe because it’s a stream vs a dribble.

I sometimes has a burning at the tip of the penis but it’s not consistent. I also occasionally get a pain mid penis which is usually followed by passing a blot clot and bloody wee. I was assured by the nurse that this is normal and just scans and other detritus exiting the body.

Hope you and all of us continue to progress 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 17:32

Hi Everybody. Thank you all for your advice.

I have passed it onto OH as he is 5 days past catheter removal and despondent about leaks during the day. He is dry at night but needs 2 to 3 pads a day and feeling the leaks upsets him. He saw a physio in spring and has been doing the exercises since then and expected to be dry almost immediately. Coffee is now off the menu to his regret but if that helps.

Any other advice is gratefully received.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 18:55

I am a couple of weeks ahead of you so understand the frustration is real.  Couple of suggestions....

I found going back to the pelvic floor physio was useful to give me reassurance that I was on the right track and doing the kegels properly.  I have a bi-weekly appointment for the moment.

I find it mentally useful to compare progress week over week.  I am still leaking (a lot) during the day but way better than last week which is reassuring.  Very hard to assess progress day by day.

Edited by member 05 Jun 2022 at 18:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 09:10

Thanks for that - yes, I think I'll go to my kegels coach this week and get "refreshed" on technique...it's bizarre how I had two really outstanding control days on Saturday and Sunday and then on Monday it was as if I had an open tap --- a constant steady drip and, at times, a stream that I couldn't stop... better now but amazed as how you can think you're figuring it out and actually go back in time. I was trying to find reasons --- although apparently there no necessary reason although I was wearing slightly tighter pants than the previous days. I like the idea of comparing week to week and there are certainly some areas where I do have better control. Thanks again.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 12:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
One more question. Do any of you have experience with incontinece clamps, such as Dribblestop and the like? I'm tryng to understand whether they actually help or hinder recovery? Do they slow down the body's ability to regain control of continence? And, are they effective? I'm thinking of using them when I have to travel [I have a long haul flight coming up and am concerned about the stress and the pad changes] but I don't want to do anything that sets me back in terms of progress... any comments or suggestions please?

Many surgeons will say that you should try not to resort to penile clamps, etc., too soon after RP as it might delay natural recovery - they are better suited to men who are left with permanent incontinence. However, for a long journey, it seems to me to be a no-brainer and isn't going to damage your medium / long term recovery. I think something like the Conveen sheath might be better & more comfortable than a clamp?  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 18:52

Yorvik, can you stop your flow of urine mid stream, being able to stop gives an indication that the reduced mechanics are still working. The being dry at night is sometimes a good sign. 

You may need some professional help to ensure you are doing the PFEs correctly.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 19:20

Yorvik, I echo and empathize with the despondency. I am 4 months post surgery and will go thru 3 or 4 pads on a bad day, and like yourself it is when moving around, being active, bending, kneeling it leaks the most, ( need to keep trying to remember to flex the pelvic floors before bending / kneeling) . I use the "Squeezy" app 3 sessions per day - for slow, quick and sub max exercises. Do you use this app as an aid ? I am slightly fortunate to have had 4 sessions with a continence physiotherapist on adjusting the settings within the app. It is only in last week or so I have had 2 much better days - it was like the tap had got turned off that day- at least it shows it can improve and I hope to have more good days than bad as the next couple of months progress. May that be true for you too.

P.

Edited by member 13 Mar 2022 at 19:22  | Reason: minor typos

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 19:38

Thanks Chris - I can slow, if not always fully shut off mid flow. An incontinence nurse said if I could do that then I must be doing pelvic floor exercises correctly. 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 19:45

Thanks Pawmark

I’m currently getting through 4-6 maxi pull ups or pads depending on activity level. Thanks for the advice of using the Squeezy App - I’ll look at it. Currently I’m using the Keigel App which sequentially increased difficulty using a combination of short 2 sec contractions and long 12 sec ones. It sounds as though a continence physiotherapist would be very helpful  is this something you arranged through your hospital or GP?

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 20:44
The two apps sound similar, with slow holds and quick pulse exercises. The physio was recommended by the surgeon at the 6 week review. Tips picked up include not doing the 3rd session too late in a day as the muscles can get tired ( probably why I leak most late afternoon / evening ) - maintaining fluid intake by sipping water thru the day rather than drinking say 400 ml in one go.

P.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 20:56
Over the years, I have seen many men on here become despondent and then make a sudden improvement - it is not always the case that continence improves in a linear way. Some men have no progress for weeks and then rapid improvement in a few days - often between months 3 - 6. Some men seem to get stuck for a while and then see it getting better as they come up to the 1 year mark.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2022 at 21:15
Yorvik

I am 4 months post surgery and yesterday was my first day with virtually dry pads. Today, I lasted 7 hours on one Tena level 2 and only changed it because I felt I ought to. . I do not believe it is a coincidence that the improvement follows two visits to a pelvic health physio.

The first thing she did was measure the strength and endurance of my PF, both of which she said were strong. That was the proof I needed that not only was I working the right muscle, but that I had been working it effectively. Then she explained how the PF is used in all our movements and how easy it is to tire it out by over exercising. I was given some Pilates type exercises to do daily and advised to rest my PF by laying flat on my back for 10 to 20 minutes in the afternoon.

Before seeing the physio I was distressed and thinking I may be one of the unlucky ones who don't achieve continence. Now, I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

If you can, I really recommend seeing a pelvic health physio.

Peter

User
Posted 14 Mar 2022 at 08:36

Thanks Peter - Good to hear you're making such good progress.

Appreciate the tips about when to do the third set of exercises and lying down in the afternoon.

I'll call the urology nurse at St James' hospital in Leeds where I had the surgery to find out whether they have a continence physiotherapist. Happy to try anything !

User
Posted 14 Mar 2022 at 23:22
Get a referral to the incontinence service if your GP has one. I got a bit fed up 3 months out, I had one referral and things suddenly improved.

The fact you can slow the flow and your bladder in not permanently empty has to be good sign..

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 00:11
Since you live in York, I don't think St James's will be responsible for arranging this kind of aftercare for you. What happened with your appointment at the York incontinence clinic in January?

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 07:53

Thanks for the advice - I was seen by the local incontinence nurse in Jan who focussed on how to deal with lack of control in terms of pads and, at my request, a sheath and bag provision. Glad to hear maters improved for you at 3 months.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 08:02

Thanks Lyn - As you may have read in my last reply, I was referred by St James in Leeds to the community nursing service incontinence nurse for the York area. She was helpful in so much as advising on fluid intake etc and also prescribing the Conveen sheath system to enable me to get out for decent walks. I discussed this at the 7 week post op review with my consultant in Leeds who was content for me to use the Conveen as long as I persevered with pelvic floor exercises and didn't simply put on a collection bag at the start of each day and rely on this. I've been following his advice and only using the sheath whilst out for a walk. The majority of time I wear pull ups as I find pads just don't cope with the flow.

As to the local provision, it sounds as though you know the area. For patients in the York catchment, urology services are either provided in Malton or Harrogate. I started in Harrogate for investigation but was referred on to Leeds for robotic prostatectomy, hence my thoughts of asking if Leeds had a continence physiotherapy provision. 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 08:15

Hi Yorvik, 

One more tip I forgot to mention. My physio said that, ongoing, it is unrealistic and tiring  for us to 'squeeze' as tight as we can each time we sit, stand, etc etc. So, once I have done my extended and short PF exercises, I tag on a 30 second hold at just 30% strength. The hardest thing about it is limiting the strength to that level. Apparently, this helps with brain training our coordination and I must say that the 'knack' now comes easier to me.

I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Peter

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 09:24

Thanks again Peter

I can appreciate how exercising the pelvic floor increases the general tone at rest which ultimately should help with control. The more acute hard squeeze in an attempt to gain temporary control when moving from sitting to standing and then walking to the loo, is clearly a finite length hold and then when relaxed, loss of control resumes. It's hard to know where the correct balance between tensing the pelvic floor with short and long contractions during Kegel exercises and resting, both between each contraction, as well as allowing sufficient recovery time between sets. I started on 5 sets a day but have reduced to 3 sets to increase recovery time.  Many, including me, seem to experience decreasing control as the day goes on which seems to fit with the concept that the pelvic floor muscles provides ongoing support and activity during the day, not just when trying to obtain some semblance of control of flow. You were advised to do some pilates exercises as well as lying flat for 20 mins in the afternoon to enable your pelvic floor to relax and recover which makes sense and certainly worth trying.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 10:36

Yorvik, pleased to hear you are using the sheath system an aid rather than a substitute. My continence issues were quite complicated, but my consultant was somewhat displeased that my incontinence nurse had prescribed sheaths for me, I did apply some emotional blackmail on the nurse. 

You are still at a relatively early stage of recovery but at three months I had a cystoscopy that found a stricture and foreign body in the bladder . Much later I had a uro dynamics test. 

Do you know how much your bladder can hold ?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 12:13

Hi Chris

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've no idea what my bladder volume is I'm afraid. I tend to go to the loo far more frequently now in an attempt to reduce the leakage volume during transit. My incontinence nurse advised only going every 1/12-2hrs, to avoid future bladder issues, but whilst that's possible if I remain seated, within a few minutes of standing, moving around or performing general household activities, the fairly constant leakage means there is precious little to void if I then go to the loo.

After your cystoscopy which found a stricture and foreign body, did you require any further treatment and did you later regain continence?

Many thanks

Yorvik

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 13:20

Hi Chris

After your cystoscopy which found a stricture and foreign body, did you require any further treatment and did you later regain continence?

Many thanks

Yorvik

I was initially 99 percent dry 4 days after catheter removal. My surgeon said he thought the stricture helped me recovery my continence,  the trauma caused by the swift removal of the catheter when it got stuck and the surgical clip may have helped. I went back into theatre around 12 or 13 times and each time regained my continence. Sometimes I recovered in a matter of days other times it took alot longer, hence  the use of the sheaths.

Good advice about not emptying the bladder too often, but as we both know that is easier said than done.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 13:52
Gosh - you certainly went through the mill Chris!

Hope things are stable now for you.

Many thanks

Yorvik

User
Posted 15 Mar 2022 at 16:57

Yorvik, 

My surgeon told me to do 5 sets of PF exercises daily but every nurse I have spoken to and my physio have said 3 is enough. The important thing is that they are done properly with the correct rest in between squeezes to allow re-oxygenation of the muscle. Also, to breath normally (don't hold your breath) whilst doing it because that's how you breathe during the day. 

Peter

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 11:53
Thanks Peter - I'm sure you're right about the rest between squeezes. The Kegel app I indicates both duration of squeezes and rests in-between. Although I started on x5 sets a day, I changed to x3 sets to try not to over work the muscles.
User
Posted 18 Mar 2022 at 09:11

Hi all 

I'm just one week removed from  having had surgery and got my cathatar out the other day then reality hit absolutely no control whatsoever. I know I'm just starting my journey now but physiologically don't think I was prepared for how much this is going to restrict my life for now.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2022 at 10:10

I'm sure you speak for the majority. Many, including me, focussed on the importance of getting the cancer cut out, accepting the risk of incontinence and ED but not necessarily appreciating how difficult it is to manage. For the lucky ones, continence returns quite quickly, others seem to have very variable responses. 

I hope you start to get into a routine to cope but it is never the less a very tough shout.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2022 at 10:27

Thanks yorvik your right the cancer has been cut out and for that I should count myself lucky as other people don't have that option. Just need to find a new way to live with it although won't be easy.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 22:21
I think the bottom line is different, and what matters is your outcome. There are some on this forum who are magically free of incontinence problems after a couple of days, and some who really struggle and may ultimately need artificial sphincters fitting.

I am somewhere in between. Incontinence was a struggle for several months - though to be fair I tried to do everything I would have done anyway - but started to improve between 4 to 6 months. By about 8 months I ended up where I am now, I need to put a pad in my knickers every day but some days it stays pretty dry, others it gets fairly full. There is no way of telling in advance!

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 07:44

Hello all

Just wish to post (this is my first) as a newbie to the forum to say I am really grateful for the stories and shared experiences. I’m 50 and 3 weeks post RARP and am finding the incontinence not just frustrating but emotionally  draining. Despondency is a good word. I know it is early days but I thought I would breeze through it. The reality is different. 

I had a bad day yesterday hence the need to seek some support - an embarrassing band demeaning pubic wetting. 

Thank you for sharing.It helps 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 09:18

Hello Hatters,

I concur,  despondency, draining, and limiting in one's life as a result of leaking. even to the point that when I go out I carry a small rucksack of essentials / spare clothes in the event of excessive leakage. I even got to the point of calling the PCUK nurses, number above, just for reassurance and advice.  

3 weeks, is early days - rest, gentle exercise, sip water thru the day, consider cutting out caffeine and alcohol. 

May today be a better day, I always hope it will be for me.

P.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 09:35

Hi Hatter, Yes it is definitely a useful website you get a lot of diverse experiences and views. Three weeks is very early in the recovery so things have every chance of getting better.

If you have many questions and experience s to report, then start a new thread (it can be a bit awkward on this website, I write my posts in Word and copy and paste to website as some times it crashes). The advantage of having your own thread is it groups everything together, so it is a bit like keeping a diary you can refer back to.

Good luck.

Dave

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 10:02

Hi Hatter

I'm in exact same position as you I'm 49 and also 3 weeks post op and wrongly thought my age would lessen the incontinence effects but alas I was so wrong. I'm doing the pelvic floor exercises religiously now so 🤞. 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 22:28

It has certainly been non linear in my case. I'm now 3 months post RALP and the line would be flat for the first two and a half months at least after initial slight improvement. The line would go down as well sometimes after having some good days with minimal leakage suddenly back down again to frequent leakage. I finally succumbed to Covid a few weeks ago and found it got much worse during that which I suppose is a general weakness of the body and all muscles. I'm still not quite ready to discard the pads which are the vivactive ones allowing me to do all normal activities again. If the UI incontinence didn't improve from now which I'm sure it will I'm still ahead as I had my first post op PSA test this week which was 0.01 so well worth going through the whole process.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 13:05

I had my catheter out today and essentially have zero control. I would like to try and hold it in for a while and have a decent long pee, but I just leak constantly. I am not too worried yet as it's day 1. I am using the squeeze app and it is set to 6 times a day.  From what I've read on this thread I'll adjust it to 3 times a day

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 13:31

I was the same on Day 1 and for a few days after that. Gradually things improve and then seemed to plateau or even go back occasionally. Leaks then gradually reduce without you even realising it. Now 4 months on from the op only a few very minor leaks usually with a full bladder.  Would highly recommend Vivactive pads Active Fit allowing normal activities fairly soon. Am now back playing cricket, golf and tennis with no leaking on the field of play.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 18:04

An update guys. I am now 6 and a half months post op and 99% dry. Actually. 100% for the last two days. Played tennis this morning for two hours and no leak at all. I prefer Tena pads, level 1, because they are thin and have a decent spread, but each to his own, they all do a job. Once I have exhausted my current stock, I will switch to protective shields, mainly for confidence and the odd spot that will surely happen. My point is that I was, like you, distressed and despondent early on, but now I can say that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel for those of us who have not been blessed with early continence. 

Best wishes, Peter

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 21:39

Anthony, You will probably find continence improves fairly quickly in the sitting and lying positions. Standing and being active on your feet takes a little longer to sort out. My progress was frustratingly slow at first but now just over three months post op, I've had a rapid improvement which is still progressing. I did end up seeing a pelvic floor physio which for me proved to be a big help. He ultrasound scanned my squeezes. It indicated the squeezes were strong but not concentrated in the optimum area. I was focussing effort in the middle of the pelvic muscle whereas the focus needs to be on the front where the urethra passes through the pelvic muscle. If you focus on "nuts to guts" you can't go far wrong. Good luck with the recovery. Chris

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 11:32

Some advise please. When you feel leakage, what do you do? Do you

1. let it take it’s course?

2. squeeze to stop it?

3. squeeze to stop it and run to the loo, only to pass a little dribble?

I’ve been doing 3, but the upshot is I don’t have a proper pee , just tons of dribbles

My first night post catheter was dry, I had to get up twice to pee and they were decent efforts and the stream was like a jet wash, something I haven’t seen in years!

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 11:49

Based on my experience, Anthony. 

If you can feel the leak, that's good. In the early days I didn't know what the Old Chap was doing. When I did start to feel a leak, I did squeeze to try and stop it and then go to the loo. Sometimes there was nothing there, either because it had all gone into my pad, or the feeling was a false alarm. Even now, I sometimes feel I have been too late to stop a leak, but my pad is dry. Brain playing games with me. 

I was concerned that running to the loo too frequently could become a bad habit, but the PCUK nurse advised that in the early stages after catheter removal it was far too soon to worry about bladder training.

Peter

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 09:47

6 month post op update

Leakage improving but still require 1-3 Tena level 3 pads per day. I can manage to walk for 2 hours before pad saturated so have stopped using the Conveen sheath system.

Lifting/vigorous exercise such as digging results in zero control which also deteriorated greatly as the day goes on. 

Still doing Keigel exercises x3 sets a day. 
Given the subjective nature of things, I started to weigh each pad post use to track progress. 

Out of interest, the claimed volume absorptive capacity of pads etc is completely inaccurate in my experience. 

Hope this helps

Yorvik

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 10:38

Yorvik, thanks for that information. It has confirmed my suspicions about the absorption capacity of Tena pads. I guess the claims they make must be based on laboratory conditions and not under typical wearing conditions. Pleased to hear your leakage is still improving albeit slowly. Chris

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 16:44

Hi all, I'm new here and most of what has been described in this thread has been very, very helpful. I'm experiencing good and bad days three weeks after removing my catheter. In particular, the dribbles, the uncertaintly whether to catch it and clamp up, and going to the bathroom constantly whenever I feel some urine escape to just dribble a few drops. I've had a couple of very good volume occasions, usually after a good night's sleep, but during the day it's rare. Like most here, I'm fine sitting and I can go on long walks with little problem, but getting up from sitting I just can't get the right level of control. And then I often feel as if I have penile cramps, likely because I've been trying to consciously hold it in. The other concern I have is that I often have a little burning at the tip of the penis, usually when I've dribbled or when the pad is reasonably full. Is that normal, or is it an infection? I get frustrated and wonder whether my mind is playing tricks on me... which I'm sure at times it does as I spend too much time thinking about it, which really annoys me. I'm in good spirits otherwise. Any further advice is appreciated.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 06:41
Ameno

Always worth getting any infection concerns checked out.

Make sure you are drinking plenty but avoid caffeine and alcohol they irritate and reduce control. I found it helpful to measure my output, also has the benefit you can check it's clear and as white as possible so you know you are drinking enough.

Leaking on exertion and during orgasm took a long time to clear up, still have the occasional mishap after 7 years but nothing that requires anything more than regular pants!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 10:04

Hi Ameno, the fact that you are able to go for long walks with out problem shows you are exercising a good degree of control. It's taken me a while to control that to an occasional dribble level. You are only three weeks post catheter and probably doing better than average. Getting up and lifting still catch me by surprise and the instinct is to clamp up, although probably too late to stifle the dribble. It gradually becomes second nature to squeeze in these situations before maneuvering and it should start to do the trick, if you are squeezing correctly.

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 10:20

Hi Ameno. Sounds like you are progressing well. I am just over a week post catheter and going for a short walk causes a full pad. I know I’m leaking but can’t stop it. It’s odd because I can stop my urine flow when going to the toilet, maybe because it’s a stream vs a dribble.

I sometimes has a burning at the tip of the penis but it’s not consistent. I also occasionally get a pain mid penis which is usually followed by passing a blot clot and bloody wee. I was assured by the nurse that this is normal and just scans and other detritus exiting the body.

Hope you and all of us continue to progress 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 17:32

Hi Everybody. Thank you all for your advice.

I have passed it onto OH as he is 5 days past catheter removal and despondent about leaks during the day. He is dry at night but needs 2 to 3 pads a day and feeling the leaks upsets him. He saw a physio in spring and has been doing the exercises since then and expected to be dry almost immediately. Coffee is now off the menu to his regret but if that helps.

Any other advice is gratefully received.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 18:55

I am a couple of weeks ahead of you so understand the frustration is real.  Couple of suggestions....

I found going back to the pelvic floor physio was useful to give me reassurance that I was on the right track and doing the kegels properly.  I have a bi-weekly appointment for the moment.

I find it mentally useful to compare progress week over week.  I am still leaking (a lot) during the day but way better than last week which is reassuring.  Very hard to assess progress day by day.

Edited by member 05 Jun 2022 at 18:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 09:10

Thanks for that - yes, I think I'll go to my kegels coach this week and get "refreshed" on technique...it's bizarre how I had two really outstanding control days on Saturday and Sunday and then on Monday it was as if I had an open tap --- a constant steady drip and, at times, a stream that I couldn't stop... better now but amazed as how you can think you're figuring it out and actually go back in time. I was trying to find reasons --- although apparently there no necessary reason although I was wearing slightly tighter pants than the previous days. I like the idea of comparing week to week and there are certainly some areas where I do have better control. Thanks again.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 09:13

Great, that's helpful. I do get what feel like "cramps" towards the end of the day --- sometimes I feel that it's overtraining although I'm not doing as much as my kegels coach would like me to do {3 sets vs. 10] and I think that the burning is very specific - if I leak and its very hot here so I think it's just very acidic and the tip is very sensitive.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2022 at 08:41
One more question. Do any of you have experience with incontinece clamps, such as Dribblestop and the like? I'm tryng to understand whether they actually help or hinder recovery? Do they slow down the body's ability to regain control of continence? And, are they effective? I'm thinking of using them when I have to travel [I have a long haul flight coming up and am concerned about the stress and the pad changes] but I don't want to do anything that sets me back in terms of progress... any comments or suggestions please?
User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 12:19

Hi all, just thought I’d update on my recovery. I am almost 4 weeks post RARP and 2 week post catheter removal. I have always been dry at night, but did wear padded underwear at night, just in case. I stopped doing that 4 nights ago. I usually wake up once a night for a pee.

The daytime is improving. I only leak a little now when I get up from a chair and for the past 2 days have left the pads off from early afternoon onwards. I do get a few dribbles in my underwear, but that is ok.

Walking is still my major issue. I find that I start to leak about 1/2 kilometre into a walk and it feels like I am leaking continuously. However, when I get home and check the pad, it’s never too saturated. So in my case, it feels worse than it is. I am still not confident enough to go out socially, but that will come.

I had an urgency to pee during the day and stinging at the penis tip and was tested for a UTI at my local GP, the results of which were inconclusive. They gave me a course of antibiotics and that has definitely improved matters.

I found a physiotherapist who specialises in mens continence and have a session with her in a weeks time.

I wish you all well with your recovery.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 12:43

Many surgeons will say that you should try not to resort to penile clamps, etc., too soon after RP as it might delay natural recovery - they are better suited to men who are left with permanent incontinence. However, for a long journey, it seems to me to be a no-brainer and isn't going to damage your medium / long term recovery. I think something like the Conveen sheath might be better & more comfortable than a clamp?  

User
Posted 13 Jun 2022 at 20:17

I’ve tried both a clamp and the Conveen system. I bought the clamp privately but only used it a couple of times as I found it uncomfortable to wear, especially whilst walking. I found it had to clamped fairly firmly to shut off the leaks whilst walking. 
The Conveen system was prescribed under the NHS and after a fair bit of trial and error of the various sizes of bag and tube length etc, I found it enabled me to go out and about, walk etc with confidence. I discussed with my urology consultant who said he was happy for me to use the system as long as I only wore for walks etc and then removed it and used pads. The risk was, in his view, that one could be complacent and rely on the Conveen. I used the system for about 3 months but tailed off when I found I could manage a walk of over an hour using a level 3 pad. I now only use pads as my control has improved to the point where I can get by with 1-2 pads most days and I find pads more comfortable than being attached to the Convern tubing system. 
I agree with Lyn that the Conveen system would likely be more comfortable on a long haul flight but if like many, you don’t leak when sitting, you might be fine with pads. I wouldn’t personally attempt such a journey using a clamp. The Conveen system does take a bit of adapting to, not least which underwear to use. I found traditional M&D Y fronts best with an extra button hole added by my wife to allow the tubing to exit and attach to the bag. 
Hope this helps and you manage your trip Ok.