I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New Bee

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 15:40

Hiya, just joined, used to forums so I'll just jump in.

I'm 72 and have been diagnosed about 4 years from an MRI scan at Jimmys in Leeds, low grade, not on any PC meds yet, I had another MRI for my back and they looked at the PC and it seems to be more or less the same as before, I'm not too worried about it. My heart and back concern me much more, but my bladder is giving me hell mostly at night but not much better during the day TBH.

I was on Xatral XL 10mg but it wasn't doing as well for me, so I switched to 10mg Fuzatal XL which is better, Urologist put me on Loperamide as well as this is supposed to be a combined approach but more than one a week and I'm like the Evergiven, not moving much.

I am double voiding and this does help triple voiding does not, I have found that a gentle stroke above my buttocks can sometimes help but not always, I've had a chat with one of the support nurses on here and she suggested Tamsulosin, not tried it, rang docs and waiting for call back but not holding my breath as it Friday afternoon, so I'll call Monday.

So that's me, any help hints or tips to make the nights better I'm all in favour of

So tara a bit for now

Kev.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 16:05
I'm on Tamsulosin after RT and it helps me enormously. Hope it works for you, too.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 16:18

I have been on Tamsulosin for many years and it does help some of us. A few have had some reaction to it but if no contraindications worth a try. I have it to help relax a sphincter muscle but it can be prescribed for other reasons. I also have a diverticulum so have to wait a short time and void again.

Have you attended a urinary continence clinic? They get you to measure and log quantity of drink taken and expelled along with time and frequency. It comes under a heading of bladder retraining where you are encouraged to hold on as long as you can before urinating. They provide hints like not eating after a cetain time before you go to bed, avoid caffein and diuretics and drink cranberry juice.

An overly large Prostate can cause increased frequency and urgency.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2022 at 16:40  | Reason: spelling, lost auto check

Barry
User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 16:34
The main side-effect of Tamsulosin is that it lowers your blood pressure, but that was beneficial in my case! My dad had to be taken off it because the reduction in BP in his case was causing dizzy spells.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 18:31
Also on Tamsulosin which has made a big difference I've gone from 5 or 6 visits to the loo a night to usually 1 and often not at all. My flow is almost back to normal. I've had no side effects.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 16:05
I'm on Tamsulosin after RT and it helps me enormously. Hope it works for you, too.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 16:18

I have been on Tamsulosin for many years and it does help some of us. A few have had some reaction to it but if no contraindications worth a try. I have it to help relax a sphincter muscle but it can be prescribed for other reasons. I also have a diverticulum so have to wait a short time and void again.

Have you attended a urinary continence clinic? They get you to measure and log quantity of drink taken and expelled along with time and frequency. It comes under a heading of bladder retraining where you are encouraged to hold on as long as you can before urinating. They provide hints like not eating after a cetain time before you go to bed, avoid caffein and diuretics and drink cranberry juice.

An overly large Prostate can cause increased frequency and urgency.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2022 at 16:40  | Reason: spelling, lost auto check

Barry
User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 16:34
The main side-effect of Tamsulosin is that it lowers your blood pressure, but that was beneficial in my case! My dad had to be taken off it because the reduction in BP in his case was causing dizzy spells.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 18:31
Also on Tamsulosin which has made a big difference I've gone from 5 or 6 visits to the loo a night to usually 1 and often not at all. My flow is almost back to normal. I've had no side effects.
User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 10:15

Thanks Chaps.

Yes, I've had all the tests done but not the training, so need more info on the urinary continence clinic thing, due to heart problems no more Urology apps until sorted, hopefully by June.

I try to drink enough liquids but sometimes fail, I only drink Mint tea out of preference, I'll have a single cup of coffee in the morning, and if out and about we'll call in and have one somewhere.

I stopped the Fuzatal for two days and started again (with relief) yesterday, I take them around 2pm, dunno if there is a "best" time to take them??? had to get up while it was still dark no clocks in the bedroom so no idea what time, and then again once it was quite light 5:30 or later.

Liz says I was on Tamsulosin in the beginning but was less than happy with the ejaculation effects so went on to Alfuzosin, the Pharmacy screwed up and gave me Fuzatal, and it was better so got the doc to change my prescription.

Kev.