Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 17:37

Hi all,

I’ve recently been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic Prostate cancer. I’m a pretty healthy 50 year old and no family history of prostate cancer.

Started getting pain in my left hip Jan/Feb but put it down to sciatica as the symptoms were exactly the same. The pain moved around my left hip and thigh and eventually settled and remained in the inside hip joint, some days making it difficult to walk. Googled symptoms and amongst others, prostate cancer came up as a possible. That’s the first time I’d heard of a PSA test. Went to my GP for blood tests thinking nothing of it as I had no other symptoms of Prostate cancer. Had a call back and appointment with GP and PSA was 53.

Fast forward 6 weeks and after MRI scan, bone scan, biopsy and CT scan diagnosis is Stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, Gleason 9 which is in my bones in the inside joint of my left hip, my pelvic wings on both the left & right side, the back of my pelvis on my right and also a suspicious area in the middle of my breast bone. Only positive really is that my CT scan was all clear.

Already started with hormone injections and have an appointment with an Oncologist May 18th with a view to starting Chemotherapy a week or so later. Really struggling to come to terms with this diagnosis and I’m struggling mentally & emotionally. I’m on prescribed pain relief and also meds to try and help me sleep and reduce anxiety. 

Just reaching out really for any advice/help with how to come to terms with this diagnosis and if anyone has had side effects from hormone injections. So far I haven’t had any, but it is early days. 

Thanks, Dave

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 22:59

Hi Dave 

Sorry to hear that diagnosis, I was age 53 at diagnosis with Gleason 9 and PSA 29. Fortunately for me it had not spread. The side effects of HT can be quite mild, most people lose libido, quite a few have hot flushes.

Sadly your cancer is not going to go away. Various drugs will hopefully keep it under control for a number of years, we have had people on this site still alive 15 years or more down the line, after similar diagnosis. Once the drugs start working the pains you have will probably go away. It is usually the case that one medication works for a bit then fails, then they try another one. Not many people die of prostate cancer within 5 years of diagnosis, living 20 year after diagnosis of cancer which has already spread is a bit of a long shot. So you just have to make the best of things and hope it responds well to treatment, and hope that medicine evolves faster than your cancer.

MacMillan and Maggie's centres may be able to help with counseling. Do not hesitate in getting help for your mental state. You can't do much about your cancer but you can do a lot to make living with it more palatable.

Dave

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 16:12

Hi, ADT can be easily tolerated by most but there are a lot if side effects (see my blog) but all men will react differently and there's a lot you can di to ameliorate them. I believe Andrew Gabriel is running his "Surviving hormone therapy" webinar in June...a very good help indeed 

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 22:44

Hi 

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis but sounds like you are already getting good treatment. I had a similar diagnosis and had Chemo about a year ago and have been on ADT since the diagnosis. For me the side effects have been thankfully not too bad with only occasional hot flushes but a total lack of any libido has been the most difficult to deal with - worth getting advice on that asap.

I was not happy to follow the NHS protocol of ‘not worth treating the prostate once the cancer has has spread’ so did some research and joined a clinical trial and was fortunately placed on a treatment arm which has meant I have had radical treatment to the prostate and also SABR treatment to the metastatic sites. The ATLANTA trial based at Imperial College, London MAY be worth looking into.