Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Motorcycling

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 13:47

Hi all,

I am a keen motorcyclist and had a robotic prostatectomy on the 28th April 2022. Catheter came out on Friday 13th May. I a generally feeling okay and have started driving again. Question is when do you think it will be okay to get back on the motorbike. Any other bikers on here been through this op and when did you start riding again. I have a pretty modest 350 bike so it doesn't weigh a huge amount and is easy to get onto the centre stand just using bodyweight.

Welcome peoples thoughts

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 17:37
Well you shouldn't be lifting anything heavier than a bag of sugar for the time being - the risk of hernia is greater for men who had keyhole / robotic RP and particularly those who did too much too soon.

In terms of driving & the weight of the bike, it may be your view that you can move the bike onto its stand just using your bodyweight but think also of the practical; leaning a bike around corners, leaning back out of the bend, the core strength needed to manoeuvre a toppling bike in a road incident or to swerve out of the way of an oncoming idiot without losing your balance .... these all depend massively on your stomach muscles. You might feel okay but if you were injured in an accident or caused damage or harm to someone/something else, you can almost guarantee that your insurer will declare you uninsured and wriggle out of their responsibility. You would then also risk getting points and / or a motoring conviction for riding without insurance.

John didn't get back on his motorbike for at least 6 months but that is almost a .5 tonne so rather different! Hopefully, you will be riding again soon - why not wait until your 6 week review appointment with the surgeon and discuss with him/her and then perhaps check with your insurer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 18:29

Hi Jogler

Hope you're back on the sled and ripping up the tarmac.

I didn't have my prostate removed so can't comment on your particular circumstance.

However for anyone who had HT, Chemo then RT, I jumped on my bike 2 days after my last RT session and took a 1800mile trip around the Picos in Spain. Not sure if it physically did me any good but it was fantastic for my mental health. The trip was one of my main focusses throughout my treatment, kept me positive.

Give yourself a goal, book a trip, plan to go to a show, meet up with some mates and good luck. Steve

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 18:50

Hope you enjoy your new Vespa, not my bag but those are fast little bikes for there size. I don't fancy doing 70mph+ on a scooter (too scary for me), I'm sticking with the big bikes until they get too heavy to push around or I get too old and dodery which may not be too far into the future.

Keep the shiny side up!

Steve

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 23:34

I just did the Scottish NC500 on my Honda Deauville. I met a couple doing the same on a 1967 vespa. Great fun whatever the bike.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 23:47

I just got back last week from doing the nc500 in the car with the Mrs, we went posh and hotel/b&b it all the way around. Did it on the bike 3 years ago, amazing trip,8 of us on a mixed bag or Triumphs and Harley's, camped all the way around. Loved every minute. Applecross pass and the far north east are something else, just as good as anything abroad (apart from the weather and midges). We are looking at doing the Picos again next year on 40+ year old bikes only, I've got a gs550 nearly ready for it, should be a hoot.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 17:37
Well you shouldn't be lifting anything heavier than a bag of sugar for the time being - the risk of hernia is greater for men who had keyhole / robotic RP and particularly those who did too much too soon.

In terms of driving & the weight of the bike, it may be your view that you can move the bike onto its stand just using your bodyweight but think also of the practical; leaning a bike around corners, leaning back out of the bend, the core strength needed to manoeuvre a toppling bike in a road incident or to swerve out of the way of an oncoming idiot without losing your balance .... these all depend massively on your stomach muscles. You might feel okay but if you were injured in an accident or caused damage or harm to someone/something else, you can almost guarantee that your insurer will declare you uninsured and wriggle out of their responsibility. You would then also risk getting points and / or a motoring conviction for riding without insurance.

John didn't get back on his motorbike for at least 6 months but that is almost a .5 tonne so rather different! Hopefully, you will be riding again soon - why not wait until your 6 week review appointment with the surgeon and discuss with him/her and then perhaps check with your insurer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 18:29

Thanks Lyn and value your input. My next appointment with consultant isn’t until 1st July and was hoping to get riding before then as I find it significantly helps my mental health. I’ll probably give it another few weeks  so that Im around 8 weeks post op which is when they seem to be saying that you can resume normal activities and then give it a go after checking insurance is okay. With my car they weren’t bothered at all as long as it wasn’t a dvla notifiable condition. My bike is a lightweight and not like riding a Harley which I can see would be a problem particularly when parking and lifting off side stand etc, although I accept its still heavier than a bag of sugar!

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 18:53

Well I would be less cautious than Lyn. I should point out I have had RT not surgery, so hardly any chance of me injuring myself as a result of the prostate procedure.

I suspect each extra week you give things to heal the better, so 2-4 weeks almost certainly too early.

Assuming you are not riding as if you are on a race track, the normal stresses of riding a motorcycle may be ok, but when you do something silly like put the side stand on a drain cover which breaks, and you find yourself looking very embarrassed in the supermarket car park with a bike on its side. You are going to want to pick that bike up damn fast, and then you will forget two months ago a surgeon chopped through your abdomen. You will then do a serious injury which will set you back months.

We have had plenty of members who said I was doing great then I did the gardening at the weekend, or just carried all the wife's shopping in, and now I have had severe pain for the last two weeks.

So next weekend I shall really enjoy a nice ride out on Sunday and I'll be thinking about you.๐Ÿ˜

Dave

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 19:05
Thanks Dave - good to know you'll be thinking about me as you enjoy your ride๐Ÿ˜. I may have to try a rain dance next Sunday - just for you๐Ÿ˜
User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 19:52
As a lifelong biker myself, I'd urge caution. You use your abdominal muscles a lot to make balance adjustments on your bike, and it takes a long time for those muscles to heal. You really don't want to risk doing damage to yourself. I'd honestly suggest waiting at least two months after surgery before riding.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 19:54

๐Ÿ˜‚

Dave

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 19:59
Thanks Chris -yes I suppose no matter how much I want to ride its going to be counter productive and possibly lead to a lot longer spell away from the bike if I do some damage by riding too early. I'm just over 4 weeks post surgery and feeling pretty good at the moment, which I suppose is where the danger lies. I'll give it a while longer I think before I try riding again - perhaps do as Lynn suggest and see what my consultant says.
User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 18:29

Hi Jogler

Hope you're back on the sled and ripping up the tarmac.

I didn't have my prostate removed so can't comment on your particular circumstance.

However for anyone who had HT, Chemo then RT, I jumped on my bike 2 days after my last RT session and took a 1800mile trip around the Picos in Spain. Not sure if it physically did me any good but it was fantastic for my mental health. The trip was one of my main focusses throughout my treatment, kept me positive.

Give yourself a goal, book a trip, plan to go to a show, meet up with some mates and good luck. Steve

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 18:40
Hi Steve,

Yep I have been riding again for a couple of months. Taking it easy and not too many adverse effects so think I have been pretty lucky. Just waiting on a new Scoot at the moment ...a Vespa GTS300 - which will be a bit different to my other bikes...which have been bigger motorcycles including Bonnies and a Guzzi California...but as I am getting older wanted to try something lighter. Goos luck to you with your treatment and as you say its important to stay positive
\
User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 18:50

Hope you enjoy your new Vespa, not my bag but those are fast little bikes for there size. I don't fancy doing 70mph+ on a scooter (too scary for me), I'm sticking with the big bikes until they get too heavy to push around or I get too old and dodery which may not be too far into the future.

Keep the shiny side up!

Steve

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 21:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Keep the shiny side up!

Steve

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 23:34

I just did the Scottish NC500 on my Honda Deauville. I met a couple doing the same on a 1967 vespa. Great fun whatever the bike.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 23:47

I just got back last week from doing the nc500 in the car with the Mrs, we went posh and hotel/b&b it all the way around. Did it on the bike 3 years ago, amazing trip,8 of us on a mixed bag or Triumphs and Harley's, camped all the way around. Loved every minute. Applecross pass and the far north east are something else, just as good as anything abroad (apart from the weather and midges). We are looking at doing the Picos again next year on 40+ year old bikes only, I've got a gs550 nearly ready for it, should be a hoot.