I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is whey protein ok

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 19:51

Hi,recently started superwhey from canceractive supposed to be a non-gmo,non radiated ,hormone free whey protein powder, ingredients, whey protein concentrate (milk),whey protein isolate (milk soy lecithin) flavoring (xanthan gum) sweetener (steviol glycosides)in his newsletter that I receive frequently he said its ok for prostate cancer, anyone any thoughts on this. 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 06:48
Look at "microcolei" profile he's go a lot on protein supplements. Hope he doesn't mind me mentioning him.
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 06:52
Also recent posts in conversation : https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28132-Regaining-fitness-during-Decapeptyl-hormone-therapy
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 08:52

Steviol glycosides and xanthan gum would both be a disaster during radiotherapy because they generate wind and looser bowels, but you seem to be past radiotherapy.

Some people are concerned about dairy, but personally I haven't cut back on diary and consume quite a bit.

Your body can't absorb much protein at a time, so if you're trying to boost it, smaller amounts spread out is going to work best, but there's also quite a small limit per day beyond which your body can't use it for muscle growth. Obviously, you also need to be exercising for your body to attempt to grow muscle.

Personally, I boosted my protein with chicken and salmon, salmon being particularly beneficial as discussed in the Krill thread recently.

Am I right in thinking you're no longer on hormone therapy? Do you know what your current Testosterone level is?

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 09:31

Andy,finished ht in 2016 and testosterone is below low reference limit,so not recovering. 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 11:19

Have you had any discussions about Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT)?

Another option might be to try Tamoxifen, which is also used to boost low Testosterone levels in the case of hypogonadism, although that would depend why your Testosterone is low, which should be investigated.

Obviously, you need to be in full remission with no evidence of disease to try this. Evidence suggests increasing Testosterone to normal levels doesn't cause recurrence, but I suspect if you are going to have recurrence anyway, it might cause it to happen sooner.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 11:42

Yes, I'm a fan of protein supplements, along with an otherwise good diet. One key issue is that for people who are older than about 60 or who are dealing with cancer, a higher amount of protein is desirable in your diet to prevent muscle loss [sarcopenia]. Normal suggested intake of protein per day is about .66gm per kilo of body weight but for older people or those of us with cancer the suggested intake is as high as 1.2, 2.0gm per kilo of body weight [or maybe more]. If you do the math on this, using protein content of various foods, you'll see that you need to eat a hell of a lot of protein rich food to achieve the guidelines.

18 mth after ceasing RT I'm not using protein supplement as much as I was six months ago though I still think it has a valuable part to play while you're re-adjusting to the changes loss of testosterone inflicts on us. Early on I feel it helped to limit loss of energy when trying to do sustained exercise, like riding for a couple of hours. Now, I find it helps when I go for a couple of days of reduced eating at near to fasting level.

I say this as someone who's still on HT. At my age though, 75, I expect I'll need to maintain a higher level of protein intake than the standard recommended for younger people.

Jules

Edited by member 04 Jul 2022 at 11:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:08

I just read the Microcolei profile.   It's a good read so I've stored it for a later look.   45 days of RT 81Gy is an impressive level of treatment, in Australia though.   Sorry to butt into Radar's question about Whey powder. 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:51

Andy,I think the reason my testosterone hasn't recovered is because I was using testosterone before I was diagnosed, and that shut down my own testosterone.