I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hip Replacement

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 16:06

Newly diagnosed Gleason 7 , T2 and considering options but impending hip replacement surgery within the next 4 months is a complication. Anyone have experience  of this situation and/or advice? Sort hip and delay prostate treatment or the other way round ? How long a delay would there have to be between treatments ? Risks ? 

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 18:24

Hip replacement does slightly complicate radiotherapy treatment planning, because the beam can't be passed through replacement hips. Treatment is still possible, but the beam has to be switched off as it passes the hips. It would also prevent proton beam treatment which is done only through the hips, but proton beam prostate treatment has gone away in the UK for now (and except for any trials, was only available privately anyway).

The other thing is that I imagine hormone therapy might impact bone healing. (Having said that, I did break a rib while on hormone therapy when I went flying over the handlebars on my bike, and that did heal in about 5 weeks, which is fast.)

This is probably something you need to run past both departments, to find out what the best option is.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 18:30
Thanks Andy . I am also considering a prostatectomy. Hope the cycling is going well.
User
Posted 26 Aug 2022 at 04:25
I had a prostatectomy 7 years ago and a hip replacement 12 months ago. Apart from the obvious issue of 2 major operations to the pelvic area and needing sensible recovery times there were no issues that impacted either op.

I was also considering salvage radio therapy at the same time as my hip replacement. I was advised to have the hip replacement first as RT would impact bone healing capacity and would have probably ruled out a cement free prosthetic which my orthopaedic surgeon preferred given my young age (60) !.

The oncologist said RT after the hip replacement was not a problem.

Still managing to delay further RT and my new hip is fantastic!

User
Posted 26 Aug 2022 at 06:45
Thanks for the info and glad to hear hip is a bonus
User
Posted 26 Aug 2022 at 22:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I had a prostatectomy 7 years ago and a hip replacement 12 months ago. Apart from the obvious issue of 2 major operations to the pelvic area and needing sensible recovery times there were no issues that impacted either op.

I was also considering salvage radio therapy at the same time as my hip replacement. I was advised to have the hip replacement first as RT would impact bone healing capacity and would have probably ruled out a cement free prosthetic which my orthopaedic surgeon preferred given my young age (60) !.
The oncologist said RT after the hip replacement was not a problem.

Still managing to delay further RT and my new hip is fantastic!

Interestingly I had a prostatectomy in 2009 and RT 4 months later. Then had a total hip replacement in 2017 following a fall which, like yours, has been brilliant. In 2019 a diagnosis of haematuria (blood in urine) necessitated an MRI scan to check for bladder cancer. I was warned that the MRI result might be unreliable due to the hip replacement, but the radiographer still went ahead and reported a tumour 30mm x 38mm.

I pointed out to the consultant that I'd been warned the scan would be unreliable, but he nevertheless insisted it was imperative I submit a rigid cystoscopy in order to 'whip it out.'  

Surprise surprise the rigid cysto found no trace whatsoever of cancer, but the bladder invasion immediately resulted in urinary incontinence ten times worse than it was before. When challenged as to how this could possibly have happened the consultant at first insisted there was no way it could have been due to the cysto.

Eventually on being pressed harder he grudgingly suggested that some dormant residual damage from the prostatectomy and/or radiotherapy may have been aggravated. But he assured me the leakage problem would clear up over time. Five years down the line it is still no better.

Just recently, following a diagnosis of advanced PCa (psa 17.2) I commenced a 4 week course of Bicalutamide 150mg and two weeks was given a 3mg injection of decapeptyl. The combined effect now seems to be impacting negatively on the baldder incontinence. I'm due to have the next injection of decapeptyl (11.25mg) in four days time so I'm a tad anxious as to whether this will make things worse still .

But hey ho, life is still fantastic so nothing for it but make the best of whatever the future throws at us. 

So