I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa checks

User
Posted 06 Sep 2022 at 11:33

Hello, I have been having 6 monthly psa checks,my last one was 0.09 up from 0.05 I was wandering if it would be better to have 3 monthly checks because a lot can happen in 6 months, any help please. 

User
Posted 06 Sep 2022 at 11:50

The answer is different depending on if you have had RT or RP. I can see from your profile you have had RT so your cancer will not be considered to have recurred until PSA reaches 2.0. You are so far from that, that I would be happy to stick with 6 monthly checks.

If you had RP then you should only have tiny amounts of PSA and the threshold of recurrence would be 0.1 which you are near, so in that situation I would be wanting 3 month checks.

I also had RT and my last two readings were 0.1 and 0.2. Some people would say that's a six month doubling time, but it's irrelevant as it is so far from 2.0 that it does not matter.

I note your testosterone has not recovered, well when it does your PSA will rise, so this could be a sign of testosterone recovery.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Sep 2022 at 15:30
Just for comparison, I too had RT and my PSA has never gone below 1.2! 0.09 is nothing.

Cheers,

Chris