I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cold cap

User
Posted 26 Oct 2022 at 18:46

The cold cap is used to save your hair when on chemotherapy. I tried it today and lasted 5 minutes! I was meant to have it 1/2 hour before chemo started, all the way through chemo then 20 minutes after chemo finished. There is no evidence to say it works so I'm just going to go bald... it was extremely cold and got a serious headache. If you hard as nails, unlike me I would avoid it!

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:28

Well my dreams have come true.. on week 4 of chemo and my hair is just slowly falling out give it a week ill prob be as bald as s coot... nightmare more like ... wish I managed to deal with the cold cap... 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 05:46
Good luck jellies...
User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 09:53

Best of luck with the cold cap jellies

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 10:46

The best way to deal with cold cap is to take a couple of paracetamol 30 mins before it starts.It should get you through the first few minutes which is the most unpleasant.

Please bear in mind you need to wear cold cap for all chemo sessions otherwise not successful.

Regards

Norm

Edited by member 24 Nov 2022 at 12:06  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 11:56

My husband Keith found it a struggle wearing the cold cap throughout  his chemo two year’s ago, but managed by focusing on his iPad to take his mind off it.  He says it was worth it as he still has a full head of hair.

Hope you manage ok Jellies x

Ange

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:36

Jellies your hard as nails mate! If you've come this far you'll manage the rest of them, fingers crossed.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:41

Good for you stick with it! Its not wimpish to take the paracetamol just to take the unpleasant edge of it.

Also you will ovoid having to explain to all and sundry why you have gone as bald as a coot.

Regards

Norm

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Oct 2022 at 22:49
Hi My OH Gary declined the cold cap and he only had slight thinning of head hair but lost all his body hair ! In fact his hair now has a slight kink in it . 6.5 yrs later his body hair is only just starting to reappear ,what was once very thick dark body hair is now a very fair downy hair .
Best wishes
Debby
User
Posted 26 Oct 2022 at 23:15

Well hopefully I only lose body hair and keep my mullet! At least you can hide body hair. 6.5 years after chemo now that's a long time, hope I can last as long as that.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:28

Well my dreams have come true.. on week 4 of chemo and my hair is just slowly falling out give it a week ill prob be as bald as s coot... nightmare more like ... wish I managed to deal with the cold cap... 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 23:41

Starting chemo on Friday.  Going to give the cold cap a go.  The nurse says if you last the first 20 mins then it gets easier.  Wonder will I last more than 5 minutes. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 05:46
Good luck jellies...
User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 09:53

Best of luck with the cold cap jellies

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 10:46

The best way to deal with cold cap is to take a couple of paracetamol 30 mins before it starts.It should get you through the first few minutes which is the most unpleasant.

Please bear in mind you need to wear cold cap for all chemo sessions otherwise not successful.

Regards

Norm

Edited by member 24 Nov 2022 at 12:06  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 11:56

My husband Keith found it a struggle wearing the cold cap throughout  his chemo two year’s ago, but managed by focusing on his iPad to take his mind off it.  He says it was worth it as he still has a full head of hair.

Hope you manage ok Jellies x

Ange

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 12:34

I had one sitting of chemo before it got stopped due to covid and I managed the cold cap then... this time round it was too much just getting soft in my old age! 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:23

Well you forewarned me but also gave me good motivation.  I was determined to beat 5 mins. And you are correct in that the first 10mins was hellish, but after that it was uncomfortable but very tolerable.  One down just five more to go. Thanks all. 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:36

Jellies your hard as nails mate! If you've come this far you'll manage the rest of them, fingers crossed.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2022 at 14:41

Good for you stick with it! Its not wimpish to take the paracetamol just to take the unpleasant edge of it.

Also you will ovoid having to explain to all and sundry why you have gone as bald as a coot.

Regards

Norm