I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any idea

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 15:38

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in February 2022, T3B N1 M0. Gleason 8,PSA 252.

I’ve had 6 chemotherapy sessions and 37 radiotherapy sessions. I’m also on hormone therapy.

What is my outlook on average?

User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 18:02
My PSA is now 0.5 , It was 2.1 on the first test after radiotherapy.
User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 07:52

Thanks for that and the best of luck to you.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 19:47

If it’s any help, I had six sessions of chemotherapy and just felt a little tired, no sickness etc.

I did lose half my hair but it grew back three months later.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 22:03

Hi I don’t normally reply to outlooks that are different stats to my OH but Gary was PSA 23 Gleason 4+5  spread to lymph nodes at the age of 55 ,early chemo and then on to stampede trial arm j .No radio therapy. 7.5 years later his PSA is still undetectable and he’s still working .
Every journey seems to be different . He’s not curable but hopefully manageable for a lot more yrs to come .
Best of luck in your journey.
Debby

Edited by member 02 Jun 2023 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 18:19

As it is M0 I assume the treatment was with curative intent. When will you stop HT?

You can use this site 

https://prostate.predict.nhs.uk/tool

It won't accept PSA over 100. So if we put in the worst we can for you. It gives you a 60% chance of surviving 15 years, but if we could enter PSA 252 it would probably be lower. There is so much we don't know about your diagnosis and treatment that really any prediction is a bit meaningless. 

We have people with worse diagnosis than you who are alive 15: years later, and people which much better numbers who survived about 5 years.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 19:23

The Oncologist said I would be on HT for three years possibly for life.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 20:36

Thanks for telling me about the chart Dave.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2022 at 18:59

I can’t see me being cured because it’s in the local lymph nodes. I’ve almost certainly got microscopic spread.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2022 at 19:55

Well they wouldn't have bothered with RT if they knew it had spread. Chemo, RT and HT all together is throwing everything at it so they know you are very high risk.

If they did get it all the three years HT will be enough and you may live anoth 20-30 years. If when you come off HT your PSA starts to rise it will be HT for life and getting beyond five years is doubtful. So on average you will live 15 years, but in reality you will either live 5 or 25. As you don't know which it will be, you may as well assume 15 years until you get test results to show it has gone one way or the other.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Dec 2022 at 20:25

Thanks for that Dave.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 07:46

I'm in a similar situation.  High risk PC with two pelvic lymph nodes identified.  Have just started chemo and will have RT after that.  HT for three years if not longer.  As my onco said the decision as to how long you remain on HT is not for today.   He has set up a number of trials on duration of HT and it is not clear.  Results are still coming in from trials set up in the 90's.  Best of luck. 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 07:52

Thanks for that and the best of luck to you.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 14:24

Did the Oncologist give you any idea about your outlook? Mine isn’t very user friendly,

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 19:29

Early on my radio onco said that in the clinic they don't talk about cure because it is hard to predict.  My medical onco says..."lets see how you get on". I agree with that because the outcome is uncertain, particularly for high risk caes.  As Dave said, either the cancer will be eradicated by all these treatments or it won't and then you are into management.  Given all the uncertainty, my thinking is to make sure I keep living as enjoyable and productive life as possible and then see where I am in 3 years time when all the treatments finish.  Gone skiing this week before my next round of chemo knocks me for six. 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 19:47

If it’s any help, I had six sessions of chemotherapy and just felt a little tired, no sickness etc.

I did lose half my hair but it grew back three months later.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 18:02
My PSA is now 0.5 , It was 2.1 on the first test after radiotherapy.
User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 20:37
Excellent! Your PSA will probably continue to fall for about a year to 18 months after RT. That's an excellent result. Was your oncologist pleased?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Jun 2023 at 22:03

Hi I don’t normally reply to outlooks that are different stats to my OH but Gary was PSA 23 Gleason 4+5  spread to lymph nodes at the age of 55 ,early chemo and then on to stampede trial arm j .No radio therapy. 7.5 years later his PSA is still undetectable and he’s still working .
Every journey seems to be different . He’s not curable but hopefully manageable for a lot more yrs to come .
Best of luck in your journey.
Debby

Edited by member 02 Jun 2023 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2023 at 14:05

He appeared pleased 

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 14:03

My PSA is now 0.2 one year after the end of radiotherapy 

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 17:25

That's a excellent result Roger 

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 17:55

Well done Roger That, always nice to hear a good news story๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 21:03

At the moment it is but I’m dreading being taken off the hormones in 2025 because if the PSA rises , it’s probably game over !

User
Posted 22 Nov 2023 at 22:16

I know how you feel…I’m due to finish in July 2025 and know I will have PSA anxiety every 3 months. But it’s not game over if your PSA goes up,  HT probably for life(I think that’s what scares me the most๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ)  and there’s other treatments out there now as well. Just have to try and stay positive and have as much fun as you can๐Ÿ˜Š

User
Posted 23 Nov 2023 at 10:00

Thanks for the encouraging comments Decho.