I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Coming off HT

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 11:30

Merry Christmas everyone,  I am 15 months into HT, decapeptyl, 6 monthly injections. Following RT,  the oncologist has discharged me remotely by letter, I have had no personal contact from the team following the RT . In his letter to the GP, he wants me to be on HT for 24 months. My question is, will my last injection be at 18 months running through to 24 month or the last injection will be at 24 months lasting 30 months, or possibly a lower dose at 24 month. I have until March and I will.chase it up nearer the time. I find the support and information in my area a bit lacking. I have however found this site very good for learning from other people's experiences.  Thanks for any input.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 11:41

I have just finished 2 years on decapeptyl had last on on the 21st month on 3 monthly have a good Christmas and good luck with your treatment gaz 👍

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 13:37

I would guess you'd get 4 x 24 weekly injections. Decapeptyl also comes in 12 and 4 weekly doses, but I don't think the period is that critical that they'd worry about a few weeks. If you asked for another 12 or 4 weeks, they'd probably do it.

My oncologist wanted to know my PSA before agreeing to me coming off the injections, but that wouldn't have changed the duration by just some weeks, probably more like 6 months or a year, if I'd needed to stay on it longer. I did elect to do another 12 weeks on Zoladex after I was told I could stop, as it wasn't causing me any issues I couldn't put up with for 12 weeks longer, and it might give me another fraction of a % better chance of a cure.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 11:47

I think you will find, they look at your first PSA - which in your case was 47, & your Gleason score  - in deciding the length of time of HT - to be confident of no re-occurrence of the Cancer.
My first diagnostic PSA was 27 - & they gave me a year of HT - which of reality lasts longer.

Edited by member 24 Dec 2022 at 12:11  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 11:41

I have just finished 2 years on decapeptyl had last on on the 21st month on 3 monthly have a good Christmas and good luck with your treatment gaz 👍

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 13:37

I would guess you'd get 4 x 24 weekly injections. Decapeptyl also comes in 12 and 4 weekly doses, but I don't think the period is that critical that they'd worry about a few weeks. If you asked for another 12 or 4 weeks, they'd probably do it.

My oncologist wanted to know my PSA before agreeing to me coming off the injections, but that wouldn't have changed the duration by just some weeks, probably more like 6 months or a year, if I'd needed to stay on it longer. I did elect to do another 12 weeks on Zoladex after I was told I could stop, as it wasn't causing me any issues I couldn't put up with for 12 weeks longer, and it might give me another fraction of a % better chance of a cure.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2022 at 17:24

Andy, at the moment my PSA is <0.03 which is very good, I would prefer to come off the injections earlier rather than later. I shall have to make enquires in the New Year. I don't want to spoil the ship for a happeth of tar! I had elective RT to the wider area just to increase the likely hood of a complete cure.

Have a good Christmas.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 11:47

I think you will find, they look at your first PSA - which in your case was 47, & your Gleason score  - in deciding the length of time of HT - to be confident of no re-occurrence of the Cancer.
My first diagnostic PSA was 27 - & they gave me a year of HT - which of reality lasts longer.

Edited by member 24 Dec 2022 at 12:11  | Reason: Not specified