I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting time for biopsy result

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 14:01

Hi a bit of info I first had urinary infection in feb 2019 so I had antibiotics and at same time GP did a psa test that come back high so within a couple of weeks I had an mri scan that showed abnormal area in prostate so by August I had a trus 18 core biopsy that come back negative. 
They said they would just keep on eye on my psa, with the pandemic in 2020 nothing happened they said my psa was still high so put me on the list for biopsy again but said the wait might be 6 months. 
By June 2021 I was offered another mri and from

that they said there were changes at it was rads4 and still needed a biopsy which I did not get until fed 2022 but this time it was a targeted biopsy but again come back negative.

The advice was I needed a template biopsy because of the rads4 mri I my mind I’ve already excepted I’ve got prostate cancer because of this. I finally got the template biopsy 13th September 2022 they said they would take about 50 cores and map out the prostate, from this I had water retention and needed a catheter for 2 weeks. From that biopsy they said I would have results in 2 to 3 weeks but it’s 3 and a half weeks and still nothing just an appointment for a flow test that they said I would have to follow up catheter being removed, is this normal to wait this long it’s like I’ve been forgotten.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 14:37
Can you just confirm the timings? Template biopsy was September so 14 weeks ago and you are still waiting for the results? If so, it seems that your biopsy found no cancer again but I think you should call the urology nurse that you have been in contact with previously, and ask him/her to confirm. If you can't contact the urology nurse, call your consultant's secretary and ask when your appointment for results will be.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 14:42
Hi Lyn

Yes template was 13th of September 2022 I know they might have a backlog but this seems a rather log wait.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 15:47

Gary,

my biopsy results were back in 1 week. Something doesn’t seem quite right here, you said September but then said it has been 3 and a half weeks since the biopsy? Is this a 3rd procedure?

N

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 16:10
Sorry it must be my mistake, I’ve had 3 biopsies since august 2019 with the latest one September 13th 2022 which was the template but I’ve heard nothing about result since then.
User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 16:16

Wow 3😳

My sympathies 

I guess you deserve/ need a conversation Gary. Do you have a number or email address for the consultant or Nurse Practitioner? I would definitely chase them

N

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 16:56
Hi Nigel,

Yes the template was by far the worse, what’s worse is they did it under GA and when I come around I could not walk the consultant did not have a clue why. But over the next 10 days the whole back of my upper thigh went black it was a 10” by 4” bruise I think they ruptured the whole of my hamstring plus with the catheter them two things were the worse part the prostate was ok within 5 days just like the others I had.

I will have to chase it up when the new year celebrations are over now it’s been going on way to long I could look on the positive side that they never found anything but you never know.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 18:51

Eek that sounds horrendous Gary

My biopsy was not a GA and it was very unpleasant, mind you I am not a good patient 😉

Please do follow up as something just seems odd. To have indications that require 3 biopsies seems unusual however what do I know .

best wishes 

N

User
Posted 31 Dec 2022 at 10:22

I had a trans perianal template biopsy under local about a year ago. Not a pleasant experience but much improved by a nurse sitting with me who asked if I wanted to chat. This was very much appreciated as  it took my mind off the activities of the consultant surgeon! I hope most centres have similar arrangements. 

Results including ct back in a couple of weeks following MDT meeting. T3b G9

Ashford and St Peters really good.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2023 at 12:43

Well after some chasing they finally have an appointment for me to see a doctor this Thursday evening so biopsy 13th of September 2022 results  12th January 2023 it’s only taken 4 months, the nurse on phone said it can take longer for a template because they send the samples to London she did not tell me anything on phone said I had to come in for result so doesn’t sound good.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2023 at 15:43
Wow, long time to wait. I had my targeted biopsy a month ago and was told at the time I would have an outpatient’s appointment with full histology within two weeks. I assumed it would be later than that because of Christmas/New Year.

Hope it goes Ok for you on the 12th.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2023 at 16:28
Thank you, yes I know they might be busy and she did explain that the samples go to London which could explain some delay but 17 and a half weeks with not knowing what I might have to face is not great just glad this stage comes to an end this Thursday one way or the other.
User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 21:12
Well I finely got the diagnosis this evening after 4 years that the template biopsy picked up a small amount of cancer it’s gleason 6, the worrying thing for me he said they don’t want to treat it, he just said after monitoring 1000s of men it’s the best option for me I think this is what scares me the most at this time.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 07:26
So you'll be on Active Surveillance monitoring PSA etc.? I think if mine comes back like this I'll accept the recommendation and get my life back into gear, right now I'd just settle for knowing.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 08:30
Yes that’s where I’m at now, with not knowing since feb 2019 it’s just a relief to finally have an answer it’s not great news but I will change my diet and get lots of exercise and send how I get on I’m 58 now so hopefully be here a while. The best of luck with your results and it still all could be nothing.