Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice, please

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 17:38

hello,

I have had an enlarged prostate for years. My PSA last year was 6.5 today it was 10.8 . This is a huge jump. Should I be worried? Could it have changed fro  a benign prostate to cancer? 

Thank you. 

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 19:17

Definitely needs investigation. A slow rise over the year would be cancer, but a rapid rise the week before the test would be infection. No one knows which of those two scenarios it is.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 21:01

Thanks Dave, I had an MRI a year and a half ago,  and ut was fine but would that show up cancer? Can an enlarged prostate turn to cancer? Thanks again. 

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 21:08

Usual followup in this case is to have a DRE (doctor feeling your prostate), and a referral to urology to investigate further if it feels abnormal.

Otherwise, you should be checked for a UTI, and treated if an infection is found.

Then 6 weeks later, a repeat PSA test, and a referral to urology if it's significantly raised over 6.5.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 21:13

An enlarged prostate, and prostate cancer, are almost nothing to do with each other. You can get both conditions. An enlarged prostate sometimes (but not always) generates side effects, but prostate cancer rarely causes side effects (at least not while in the prostate). I said they're "almost" nothing to do with each other, but actually you seem to be very slightly less likely to get prostate cancer if you have an enlarged prostate, but this is a minor effect, and plenty of men with enlarged prostates do also get prostate cancer.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 21:18

Thank you Andy so much. Would I have another MRI ?  Is a DRE where they take biopsies? Which is more accurate  that or an MRI? Thanks for such a detailed response. Really good of you. 

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 21:30

I was assuming you are under your GP, but if you're already having Active Surveillance, then the followup would be by Urology.

A DRE (Digital Rectal Exam) is where a doctor's finger (digit) is inserted into your rectum to feel your prostate.

Why did you have the MRI scan? A standard MRI scan doesn't show prostate cancer very clearly, but if the scan was specifically to check for prostate cancer, a multi-parametric MRI scan would have been done which shows up suspicious areas of the prostate. MRI can't diagnose prostate cancer, just identify suspicious areas which might need more investigation.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 02:20

Hi Andy,

I had the MRI because my PSA rose from 4 to 6.my gp arranged it. After the MRI was clear I had my regular yearly PSA . It  then suddenly went to 10 and thats where I am now. My gp has now asked for me to se the urologist to see what to do next. Thank you for the advice. 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 03:56

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Is a DRE where they take biopsies? Which is more accurate that or an MRI?

A DRE is only a rough guide. An MRI will probably give more information but still not be definitive. Biopsies are where samples are taken from the prostate either using the TRUS system, where up to a dozen samples are taken from the prostate with probe that is inserted through the rectum. Template sampling takes around 30 samples from between the anus and the perineum, using fine needles. Anasthesia varies but a general is sometimes used for template biopsies.

A biopsy will be definitive in terms of any cancer in your prostate. There are other types of scan, like a PET PSMA scan which use markers injected into the bloodstream, which can be very helpful where cancer has spread beyond the prostate.

All the best for your next steps. It's impossible to know before you've had all the tests, where you stand but it's also excruciating waiting to find out, so don't jump to conclusions but do persist with your tests and follow up

Jules

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 06:13

Thank you so much Jules for your kind and helpful words. Yes it is very nerve wracking. I am also French so I have a new lot of new vocabulary  to  learn and  understand. Once /if cancer is detected i if s it is quite local is removal of the prostate a good way forward? Many thsnks

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 06:40
You need a diagnosis before thinking about treatment.

Concentrate on that.

If you get a definite diagnosis the staging and Gleason grade will guide the most effective treatment options.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 08:01

Thank you that is good advice. I will.