I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

GregJ’s Journey - To Infinity And Beyond!

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 12:12

Glad that's all over. For the surgeons and medics, it's just all in a day's work. For the patient it is far removed from a normal day.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 18:47

Greg J,

I'm delighted to hear that it's all 'out' at last.

Very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

JedSee.

Edited by member 30 Jun 2023 at 18:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 20:20

Gregg, pleased to here it went ahead after the delay. I had a similar issue with the drain leaking blood. Take it easy but keep mobile,no straining to pass that first motion. If the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore get some instilagel or hydrocaine, both available without prescription at most pharmacies except Boots.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 20:45

Great stuff Greg, so pleased for you and all the best for a speedy recovery.

Derek

User
Posted 30 Jun 2023 at 20:59

Youve got there Greg. Well done my man. Time to get back to as close to normal as you can.

Slainte Mhath lad.

Jamie.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 06:58

Thanks gents

Seem to have a slight problem today, well from last night actually. 

Juat as I was leaving the hospital I smoothed my sweatshirt down and felt quite a bit of past n on my right side. Nipped into the ward bathroom for a look in the mirror and saw what can only be described as massive bruising right around my right hip and up into my belly. Deep dark purple bruising. Also my penis is the same all over, very dark bruising. 
I spoke to the sister on the ward and she looked at it, did say it is quite a lot but that it can happen so just keep an eye on it. 

By the time we had made the 2 hour journey home I was feeling very unwell to be honest, blood pressure was up to 155/100 with a pulse of 110. Also a slight temperature of 37.8

I called the sister on the ward again as I was/am getting concerned. She did not seem phased at all and said just keep taking paracetamol and plenty of fluids. Which of course I am doing. 

Has anybody else had similar bruising after a RARP? 

The side where I had the drain has very little bruising at all but the other side looks like a war zone! 😳

Any suggestions what I should do? 

I might post this as a separate thread, if that’s allowed, as people may not see it here? 

Edited by member 01 Jul 2023 at 07:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 07:06

Gregg,no personal experience of it, but I have seen it mentioned before and from what I remember it takes some time to clear.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 09:10
Keep an eye on your temperature, if you develop any kind of fever or sudden pain get right back onto the hospital.
User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 10:03
HI Greg

Everyone is different in how the body reacts and you have to remember that it's a fairly brutal operation with the Da Vinci with all the tubes and pipes being pushed into your body and the CO2 inflation is quite significant - they release it after they are finished, it's the residual that causes the issues and irritates the diaphragm which radiates to the nerves in the shoulders.

Your body is reacting to the surgery with the bruising and as the nurse says, pretty normal in a small number of cases.

The high blood pressure is possibly down to you panicking too much - so you need to relax and chill.

Take your temperature every 2 hours to be sure and talk to the nurse again if it spikes but also keep drinking water - you need at least 2 litres per day.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 14:15

Thanks gents. 

My blood pressure has now dropped to around 103/58, which is totally normal but very low for me. My baseline before surgery was around 124/80

The hardest thing at the moment is my heartbeat. It can go way up over 100 when moving about (131 once) and down to the 70’s if I’m resting but it’s beating so hard it is actually lifting me off the chair! The anaesthetist did have some concerns about my heart and did say I should speak with my GP, which I’ll do on Monday. 

From what I’ve read on Dr Google, hard or fast heartbeats are normal after surgery but do need to be checked because of stroke risk. 
The reports I’ve read say that the heart is working harder because of an inflammatory immune response to the surgery. 

Anybody any experience of this?

Its proving to be a bit of a tough ride at the moment guys πŸ₯΄β˜ΉοΈ

cheers

Greg. 

Edited by member 01 Jul 2023 at 14:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 14:28
It really does sound perfectly normal - your body has gone through some trauma and it just takes a while to settle down.

I would suggest that your stress levels are high and you just need to take some time to relax and stop worrying - I know it's easier saidd than done but if you can find someway to take your mind off things then try and do that. Also make sure you are walking around every 20 minutes or so - even if it's just from room to room and keep drinking the water.

You should be on a daily anticoagulant injection (usually for 28 days) that will prevent strokes etc. By all means have a chat with your GP on Monday but I think you will find the same advice - relax and just let your body recuperate.

Take care mate.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2023 at 14:51

Thanks Steve

Yes I am on the daily injections. 
I think my other medical conditions, mainly my inflammatory arthritis, are adding to the pressure on my body from the surgery. 

It really is a bit frightening at the moment, with heart rate and blood pressure making me feel really ill all the time. I’m hoping it calms down in a few days. 
I think I will run it past my GP to see what he says on Monday. 

Thanks a million for the support mucker 😊

cheers

Greg

User
Posted 02 Jul 2023 at 22:33

Glad you’ve now had the surgery Greg. Hope things settle for you over the next few days. 
I had problems with the drain bag falling off after surgery. My bed covers in the hospital looked like there had been a major attack!

Ido4

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 06:48

Hmm … Houston, we have a problem! 
I knew something definitely wasn’t right, I should always trust my gut instincts. 

I’m back in hospital again, through A&E this time. Blood pressure stayed low and heart rate was taking off like a rocket whenever I stood or moved.

Called 111 and they organised local Dr on call to speak to me. Ended up going to see him 1am Saturday and he took some bloods. Went back home and got a call at 7.30am .. “you have anemia, I’ve referred you to the surgery team in A&E, please get there asap. Your hemoglobin is 50% of where it should be”

So full day in A&E and many bloods and a CT scan later I’m in a bed on the surgical ward with a large hematoma in my pelvis. This caused the hemoglobin drop which caused the anemia which made me feel so awful.
I’m on a surgical ward as I guess they were going to open up again to see if they could stem the bleeding but I believe they think it’s stopped now so I just had a blood transfusion which will hopefully set me back on to better hemoglobin levels. I’m still quite dizzy and lightheaded though. 
I can’t lie, the pain in my abdomen, lower back, pelvis and groin is huge. I’m hoping to speak to a surgeon or urologist today to discuss how this happened, if it will fully resolve and how long it will take. 

I wasn’t sure if I should post my experience so far as it is proving to be a lot … lot harder than I imagined and I do not want to put people off from having it if it’s the right choice for them, but I think on the grounds of balance and transparency I need to show perhaps the other side of a RP. 

I still think it was the right choice for me and would not hesitate to choose it again if I had to relive it over. 

Hopefully things will improve as time goes by. 
cheers all

Greg. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 08:01

Really hope things start to improve today Greg and that they get the pain and discomfort under control. My other half faces a RP soon (had op cancelled and now with strikes looming no idea when) but I am grateful for your openness because this reminds me that the op is not a walk in the park and is a major intervention and I need to be prepared to support him through  any outcome, hopefully positive but you never know…wishing you all the very best for a speedy recovery. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 08:02

Gregg, hope things improve soon,at least you are in the right place. Absolutely right to report your situation, it is quite unusual but knowledge is always useful.

Take care Chris 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 08:45

Hi KD, as Chris says above, problems like this are very very rare. 

The gentleman who was in with me on the same day for his op, is absolutely fine and well on the road to recovery already. I’ve kept in touch with him and he’s doing well. 

I’m sure it will be completely the same for your other half. 

Apparently, the official medical term for me is, Little Bleeder!
 I’m sure I heard the nurses calling me that. Haha

I’m just the kind of person that bleeds badly, not sure why I thought this would be any different. I’m not a haemophiliac I just like to give it up easily obviously. 

I’ve had a brief discussion with the nurse and there is a suspicion that the anticoagulant injections may have caused it, nothing to do with the procedure itself. That makes sense and is already a recorded thing in medical history. 
I hope to know more later after speaking with the urologist 

Take care

Greg. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 09:16

Hi Greg,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve had these issues but at least now you know why and hopefully you will be on the road to recovery soon. I’m also so glad you posted about the issue as so many people opt for the surgery thinking it’s a walk in the park, but it is MAJOR surgery. Most people I know in Maggies have not had such issues but they do have some long term issues with ED and incontinence.

I agree with you that you’ve made the right decision for yourself and All the best for recovery and look after yourself.
Please also keep us informed good AND bad.

Derek

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 09:31

Hi Decho

As you know I mulled over the treatment choices for a long time and yes I think this was the right one for me. 
It felt the right thing to do given all of my other factors (age, family cancer history, other medical conditions) and as I said I would decide the same way again if I had to. 

Everybody has to do what’s right for them and 99.9% of people will sail through it no problem, I’m sure. 

Onwards and upwards for me now I hope.

Or even … infinity and beyond! 😁

Cheers 

Greg. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 09:38

If you’re needing cheered up Greg you might like to read my latest post of my journey thread for a little light relief….but watch and not laugh too hard!

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 15:30
Interesting you must have had this when you were discharged given the evidence of your heart rate? Did they take meaningful observations before you were discharged? Did the nurse not notice your palour!

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 16:30

I showed the bruising but it’s not the massive visible bruising that caused the problem. It’s the internal invisible.

I stayed an extra night so the blood tests were taken on the day I was supposed to be leaving. The usual OBVS were done before I left and they were all normal. The BP issue and pulse didn’t start to kick in properly until I got home so I’m guessing it was a slow bleed. 
Then the next day it had bled enough to send me into troubled waters. 

Perfect timing from my weird body again. πŸ₯΄β˜ΉοΈ

cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 20:07

Hi Greg J,

So sorry to hear that things haven't gone well for you after your surgery.  I hope they can get the pain under control and that the bruising subsides.  I think you're in the right place in hospital and that your blood pressure and heart rate will stabilize very soon.

Very best wishes,

JedSee. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2023 at 20:31

Thanks JedSee

I hope that by tomorrow my hemoglobin levels will be stable. They have started to rise so that shows that the bleeding will have stopped, I’m told….gulp. 😳πŸ₯΄

The nurses and all the staff at the hospital I am in are absolutely fantastic. I cannot thank them enough for the excellent care they have given me during my stay. Dealing with cancer is a tough enough battle as it is but coping when even the cure puts the boot in is definitely not an easy ride! 

I’ll never forget any of them … heck, I’ve got the scars to remind me πŸ˜‚

cheers

Greg  

Edited by member 03 Jul 2023 at 20:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 16:41

Finally back home. 

Still in a heck of a lot of pain where the internal bleeding was. The massive bruises on the outside, which are now nearly jet black, have nothing compared in the way of pain. 

I just sat in the chair at home and fell into a deep sleep straight away. Basically I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus! 
I’ve just got up to walk around and things are still very precarious, strength and movement wise. 

How far should I be walking now? 
Is there a step suggestion?

I didn’t want to sleep as soon as I came home but biologically speaking I had no control in the situation today. I have not slept properly in hospital since the surgery last Wednesday. 
The one night I had at home I only got a few hours as the pain and racing heart kept me awake with worry. I really should have called 111 sooner but I thought I was just being a wimp after the surgery and just telling myself to get on with it … whilst slowly running out of blood 🩸 🩸 🩸 

I am still anemic, have a slightly elevated heart rate and (according to a surgeon in A&E) still have the classic symptomatic “whoosh, whoosh” in my ears with every heartbeat. I’m still totally exhausted too but I am very conscious of needing to move. 
They have stopped my 28 days of anticoagulant injections, after I only took it for 4 days as there was a feeling that these may have aggravated, if not caused, the bleed. So I’m now paranoid that, knowing my luck,  …. DVT here we come! ☹️πŸ₯²

Thanks all

Greg. 

Edited by member 04 Jul 2023 at 16:46  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 15:23

It just seems to be never ending! 

My catheter removal date was extended by a week because of the extent of bleeding that I had post-op. I spoke to the hospital to get a new date and they said change the day bag in the meantime. 
I changed it … and nothing drained for over 3 hours! Eventually it did star to drain but very slowly. 

Yesterday I went for a bowel movement (apologies for the graphics but no use beating around the bush with these things is there!) and after sitting for a while, a full urination exited around the catheter tube! Fresh and bright red blood also flowed down the catheter tube and into the bag! 

There is no way I can strain for bowel movements (because of the internal bleed/hematoma) so this rather major catheter bypass wasn’t because I was pushing too hard. Needless to say I was a little concerned so I called my CNS and she said come straight in to Same Day Emergency Care in the hospital. 

I went and saw a surgeon I had seen when I was readmitted for my post-op bleed. We discussed what had happened and he decided to do a gentle flush of the catheter. The operating hospital had said that nobody was allowed to flush my catheter but needs must and I was being looked after by an urology surgeon that works in my local hospital and the operating hospital. 

Touch wood, this seems to have cleared whatever blockage or debris that was there and it is draining perfectly now. I have to say the gentle flush was quite painful in my penis but I mentioned this to the surgeon and he was not too concerned. He was also not too concerned about the fresh blood down the tube given the amount of bleeding I have had since the surgery. 

The problems and worries just seem to be never ending! πŸ₯Ή

Finally I’ve had a full 24 hours without visiting or being admitted to hospital or seeing my GP and CNS! This past 9 days (since the op) have felt like an absolute eternity and I can’t see any end to it. 

I’m due to return to the operating hospital on Tuesday for the catheter removal, just hoping everything goes nice and simply and I can start on my road to recovery properly. 

I am absolutely and completely knackered! Zero energy levels. I am up and walking each hour to try avoid any clots but I am concerned about my energy levels. My heart rate is still quite high so I’ve made an appointment with my GP next week, as the anaesthetist advised me to. 

Did you have energy issues following surgery?

How long before they resolved? 

Hopefully I will soon be on the up…as I don’t think I can take much more of this. πŸ₯² gulp. 

Take care

Greg. 

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 16:10

Sorry to hear about your woes Greg, I hope things get better soon for you.

Derek.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 16:39

Greg, you are going through it. I did have fresh blood and clots hanging out of my penis and around the catheter after a simple dilatation. I was was kept in hospital for a few days, the only thing they actually did was flush the catheter.

One rare thing to be aware of is when they put the a suture through the catheter and accidentally stitch it to the urethra. It should be checked at the end of surgery to make sure it is free to move. Make sure you are hydrated before the catheter removal. The catheter should just slide out if it doesn't, insist on getting a urology surgeon to attend to you. Probably not for the same reason but my catheter got stuck on the way out, a quick yank and it came out. My surgeon is convinced the trauma was the cause of my stricture and they never solved the issue. It is rare.

Hope things start to improve soon.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 17:56

Thanks Derek and Chris. 

I’m definitely going to mention all the problems to the nurse before she removes the catheter.

There seemed to be a break in communication between the surgical ward and the urology treatment suite as they knew nothing of the problems I’ve had as they called me to say you should have had your catheter removed by now. 

I would hate to think more complications arise from catheter removal so I may request to see the surgeon before they attempt removal. 

Thanks gents

take care

Greg. 

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 19:04

Greg J,

So sorry to hear about your recent circumstances.  It sounds like hell.

My catheter was in for almost 3 weeks due to catching Covid in between surgery and planned removal (after 7 days).  The removal was straightforward - a very slight pull by the nurse, and it was out; no pain, just anxiety, followed by huge relief.

I can only really comment on the exhaustion.  Yes, I had that too after my surgery, but it did pass, and once the catheter was out, I improved quite rapidly.  I hope it will be the same for you.

Very best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 21:16

Thanks JedSee

Ive got what looks like clots coming down the tube tonight. I just pray that there aren’t more further up that could block the catheter again. 
i can’t face another 6 hour wait in A&E again 

How the medical staff in A&E cope I have no idea. So busy it’s just pure bedlam everywhere. The urology surgeon said he would not want anybody touching the catheter in A&E as they may do more damage and make things worse but I really won’t have a choice if anything happens over the weekend. πŸ™πŸ» πŸ™πŸ»

Tuesday can’t come soon enough. I’ve just emptied the bag and drinking as usual, waiting for the bag to fill again so I know it’s draining properly. 

Please …. Please don’t let anything else go wrong before Tuesday. πŸ₯ΉπŸ₯²

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 23:35

Greg, I have a permanent suprapubic catheter and find I drain better when I am laying down. Keep up the water intake,in this hot weather urine output can go down. You probably don't need telling this but make sure the leg bag is below the bladder and the night bag is below the leg bag. Make sure there are no kinks and ideally the night bag should be supported on a stand.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 07:04

I meant to say JedSee

What a sod catching covid in between must have been for you.

That’s been in the back of my mind over the past week, after so many hospital visits and sitting with a lot of people in A&E a few times.
I had all my toes crossed 😁 when I was there as I think catching covid would be the last straw! 

Cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 07:11

Thanks Chris

The hospital did explain the heights to me before I first left. Reminds me of helping my dad fix very old cars when I was a kid, syphoning fuel off in order to work on them. He had quite a few mouthfuls of petrol over the years 😊

I don’t fancy doing that with my bag of course. Gulp. 

I’m drinking about 6 pints of water through the day and a couple of cups of tea so I hope that’s enough?

My night bag was absolutely brim full this morning so I’m guessing it’s ok. 

A permanent catheter is floating around in the back of my mind, after all the blood and clots that have passed in this past week.

How do you find living with that?

Does it affect your quality of life?

I just love knowing all the facts before I go into anything…just in case. Boy Scout n’all that 😊

Cheers

Greg  

Edited by member 08 Jul 2023 at 07:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 08:00

Another thing I noticed is that my urine is often extremely dark and concentrated , despite only drinking water and 1 or 2 cups of decaf tea a day. 

I showed it to the urologist and urology surgeon and they did not seem concerned about it. 
It just seems too dark, at times, to me. 

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks

Greg  

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 08:25

Greg, you don't need to be thinking of long term catheters just yet , in a few weeks things will have settled down and your will be back to your new normal. 

Catheter bags have changed since I started this journey over nine years ago, back then the bags didn't have an anti back flow arrangement. If the catheter blocked up you could lift the bag above the height of the bladder and urine would help move a blockage, probably not a good idea but it worked for me.

The permanent SPC does affect my QOL but it's amazing how we humans can adapt to a new normal. I much preferred carrying my urine inside my body rather than in a bag on my leg. Your comment got my brain whirring, I do miss just getting up and having a good long pee. One advantage of ED is not having to try and aim that upright morning glory down into the toilet bowl. πŸ˜ƒ. 

I like to know facts and data, I like to know where I am heading , even if it isn't a good place to go.

Hopefully the catheter removal we be straight forward but ,be prepared for the possibility it might have to be in a bit longer. If it does stop in a bit longer you won't be getting up in the night to go for a pee. 

My overnight urine production varies from 300 to 1500 mls the lower the volume the darker it is. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 08:50

Thanks for all your insights Chris. 
They’re really helpful, even to know that I’m not on my own and otters have got through complications and are on the other side 😊

My heart rate is still a concern. My resting heart rate is 80 now and when I stand up to walk around the house and garden it goes to 114. I have an appointment with my GP next week to discuss. I am still slightly anemic I know so I’m concentrating heavily on raiding my iron levels. It can take 2-3 months to recover from anemia so it’s head down and bash on with that one. 

I’m due in the hospital on Tuesday for removal but if I still have blood and clots moving down the tube I’m going to call them on Monday to discuss. I will ask if the surgeon can be present when I go so I can explain directly to him what has been happening over the past 10 days. 

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly. 

I’ve not started my Tadalafil 5mg properly yet, which I’m also a little concerned about as I should have had a week under my belt by now. The urologists and surgeons didn’t think it was a good idea until the catheter is removed and there is evidence of good healing taking place. I’m just putting all my faith in their expertise and praying for the best outcome. 

Thanks again for all your input it really is appreciated. 
Take care

Greg. 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 09:29
The tadalafil is not essential and therefore the least of your problems- don't worry about it
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 09:32

Cheers Lyn 😊

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 19:07

For goodness sake! 
I don’t think I can handle anymore of this. 

More blood down the tube tonight and the bag is very very slow to drain. 

Shall I just wait to see what happens? 

I can see me sitting in A&E for another 6 hours tonight. 
Never pigging ending. πŸ₯ΉπŸ₯²

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 20:46

Hi GregJ,

So sorry to hear of your ongoing problems.  I know that it's easy for me to say this, but I do believe that it will get better, and probably quite soon.  Try to hang on in there.  Try to do anything you can to distract your mind while the medics sort it out.  We are all rooting for you.

Take good care of yourself.

JedSee.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 20:52

Thank you JedSee

I hope and pray πŸ™πŸ» πŸ™πŸ»

Thank you

Greg

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 20:53

Keep Strong and Positive Greg, you can get through thisπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

Derek

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 21:00

Thanks Derek

Tuesday just cannot come soon enough. 
I really want to be back in the operating hospital to speak to surgeon and his team and try get things sorted once and for all. 

It’s do difficult being 2 hours away when they won’t really allow my local hospital to do anything major to sort my issues. 
I feel really helpless at the moment. 

Seeing the blood and the clots still coming down the tube, 10 days after the surgery is just so worrying. I dread to think what’s going on in the bladder!

I hate wishing my life away but roll on Tuesday

Thank you very much for everyone’s support 

Take care

Greg. 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 22:43

Hi GregJ,

I had a blood drain and stayed in an extra day because it was still filling the bag more than I liked.  They decided to remove it after day 2 even though it was still bleeding a bit.  Then there were clots and occasional rose coming down the catheter for a few days.   I also had 28 days of coagulant injections.

You have a worry about a blocked catheter so you're drinking 6 pints of water and cups of tea and having anti-coagulant.  I wondered if you're drinking too much and it's not allowing it to heal, although there's a risk of being too dry. 

I don't know how much you're moving but a catheter has a balloon inside that can knock on the bladder and cause bleeding from the wound.  You might look that up but I made a note of it when I had a catheter some 6yrs ago.

As for using Taladifil until you're sorted I'd forget it in your position.

On the bruising I had a full depth skin graft and one section of it started going black, this is 12 years ago.  I asked the hospital and a nurse from the surgical team looked at it and said it will be alright.  It was, but it took longer to heal than the rest.

I guess you're sure it isn't the co-agulant injections that are creating the bruising.   If they're done wrongly they bruise.  The surgery itself can cause it.

I wonder if you're taking photos of all this as it can be useful to see if it's healing and re-assuring when good changes start.   I hope the above isn't too obvious.  All the best Peter

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 07:22

Thank you Peter

They removed my blood drain on the second day too, after it had been emptied twice since the op. It was still bleeding but they didn’t seem concerned, despite me showing the bruising on the second day.

I know the bruising is just superficial but it would have been an indicator as to how heavily I was bleeding internally! I wish it was checked sooner. 

When I say bruising I mean seriously major bruising, not just the kind you get at an injection site. The main one is on my RH side and is about 1 foot in length and around 10 inches high. It wraps right around my side. Another is on the LH side and is about 6 inches by 3 inches. More on my front around the camera hole near belly button around 4 inches by 2 inches. 

They all went completely black by the third day. When I was readmitted for the blood transfusion the nurses were coming in the room and asking to see the bruises as they hadn’t seen anything like it before. I should have been charging per view 😁

I am not on the anticoagulant injections. They were stopped by day 4 as it was thought that they were worsening or even causing the internal bleeding. 

I am moving as much as I can, to prevent any DVT or clotting. The first few days movement was extremely difficult and painful, I have to say it has improved now though I’m still completely exhausted and have quite a lot of pain in my abdominal region. I’m told this will continue for weeks until the hematoma has been absorbed by my body. 

I bought an Apple Watch to monitor my heart as since the bleed and the anemia my heart jumps 30 BPM just standing up. I’m also using it to track my steps and I did 3100 slow and gentle steps yesterday, just around the house and my small garden for some fresh air. I’ve no idea if this is enough steps or too many steps but it feels about the right balance of movement given my seriously low energy levels since the op. 

I’m hoping to be able to discuss all of this with the hospital on Tuesday when I go to hopefully have the bag removed. 

I did wonder if I was drinking too much. I’m drinking around 3 litres a day. I told one of the nurses this and she said that’s fine but mix it up with water, tea and fruit juice. I just have 2 cups of tea in the morning then just water the rest of the day. I could honestly murder a pint. 

I just pray that everything start to resolve itself slowly but surely and that these past days are forgotten in 6 months time when I’m striding naked down the beach! πŸ˜‚

I’m counting the minutes until Tuesday 🀞🀞

Take care

Greg. 

Edited by member 09 Jul 2023 at 07:39  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 09:23

I’m not sure about the ‘striding down the beach Naked’ Greg, unless you’re heading to Fuerteventura where anything goes. If so, I will see you there in 6 months(or before) and we’ll have a drink or three togetherπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

Derek.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 09:41

Haha cheers Derek 🍺🍺

I don’t think me walking down the beach naked would do anybody any good …. Especially the onlookers! πŸ˜‚

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 09:45

This morning’s woes are something new!

The main wound above my navel has opened up through the night and has become quite “gooey” and wept!

It is also quite painful now too. 

I’ve just spoken to the sister on the operating ward and I’ve sent a photo for her to discuss with a doctor. 
May have to see a local out of hours doctor where I live as the operating hospital is 2 hours away. 

Oh joy of joys … it’s the gift that just keeps on giving. 

Cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 20:54

Well, another 6 hours in A&E. Wound cleaned and dressed and to keep an eye on it. 
It wasn’t fresh blood it’s back pressure from the internal bleed weeping through part of the wound that had opened up a little. 

You actually couldn’t make this up. Somebody pinch me to see if I’m dreaming! πŸ™ˆ