I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Friendly Bike Saddle

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 09:31

Now that I’m finished my RT I’m really keen to get back out on my eBike more. I did have a couple of short trips during RT(would have had more if the weather wasn’t  so cold!) and then did a 22mile ride on Sunday, including some bumpy track. No problems experienced and my legs feel really strong after all the walking I did during treatment. 
I’m  wondering however if I should opt for a more Prostate Friendly Saddle as mine is the standard one fitted with my Specialized Turbo Vado, and although quite comfortable so far has not cut out for the perineum. I’ve Been looking at the Selle SMP  TRK Gel Saddle which seems to get good reviews.
I want to build up to doing 50+ miles again so need something really comfortable and not cause me any issues now that my prostate is mush!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 23:03

I had RT/HT treatment and used a saddle like the Selle model you mention for a period while I was having RT. I can certainly recommend it for comfort over distance. I've since returned to using my original Fizik Arione [with a groove] mainly because I'd ridden on it so much, it felt odd sitting on something else. As I understand it, it's more important for immediate post prostatectomy people to use a friendly saddle and not of huge significance to RT people.

Unfortunately for me I was recently knocked off my bike at speed by a hit and run driver ... cracked rib, cracked coccyx, lots of bruising and a couple of months recovery time, but I'm still alive when it could have been a whole lot worse. I think I might steer clear of the road in future. Traffic has grown massively in recent years and along with that, impatience and outright aggression.

Jules

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 23:57

I can't say this is the exact one but J's road bike saddle is a Selle and looks like this https://www.wiggle.com/p/selle-italia-x-lr-tm-air-cross-superflow-saddle 

Originally, I bought him a noseless saddle for the mountain bike but he mustn't have liked it because he doesn't have it on the bike now :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 23:04

I'm a keen road cyclist,  had a prostatectomy in September but decided to take 6 months off the bike

Before starting again I had a saddle fit where you sit on your bike and a  pressure pad is fitted on your saddle to see where all the pressure is and then they try you on different saddles and find the best one that suits, can save you a lot of money and discomfort

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 18:25
Although there are a few saddles specifically labelled as prostate-friendly (and mostly expensive) it seems to me that any saddle with a groove down the centre will work.

Certainly, when I got on my bike again after surgery a cheap saddle from Halfords did the trick. (Very clearly better than my previous saddle which was smooth across the top - I got off the bike just a few seconds after trying it with that!)

Basically you don't want the midline of the perineum bearing any weight - that is where the bulb of the penis and urethra are. Both are likely to be somewhat sensitive after treatment.

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 21:07

Good information thank you 

Pre-op I was a mountain biker. I think those days are over. But started thinking about road biking again. So your info is quite timely.

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 23:03

I had RT/HT treatment and used a saddle like the Selle model you mention for a period while I was having RT. I can certainly recommend it for comfort over distance. I've since returned to using my original Fizik Arione [with a groove] mainly because I'd ridden on it so much, it felt odd sitting on something else. As I understand it, it's more important for immediate post prostatectomy people to use a friendly saddle and not of huge significance to RT people.

Unfortunately for me I was recently knocked off my bike at speed by a hit and run driver ... cracked rib, cracked coccyx, lots of bruising and a couple of months recovery time, but I'm still alive when it could have been a whole lot worse. I think I might steer clear of the road in future. Traffic has grown massively in recent years and along with that, impatience and outright aggression.

Jules

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 23:57

I can't say this is the exact one but J's road bike saddle is a Selle and looks like this https://www.wiggle.com/p/selle-italia-x-lr-tm-air-cross-superflow-saddle 

Originally, I bought him a noseless saddle for the mountain bike but he mustn't have liked it because he doesn't have it on the bike now :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 23:04

I'm a keen road cyclist,  had a prostatectomy in September but decided to take 6 months off the bike

Before starting again I had a saddle fit where you sit on your bike and a  pressure pad is fitted on your saddle to see where all the pressure is and then they try you on different saddles and find the best one that suits, can save you a lot of money and discomfort