I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High psa will surgery work

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 07:28

Hi I'm 62 have had Mri Ct full bone scan biopsy score of 3+4 localised contained diagnosis Surgery booked but PSA at 52.  How can I have such a high PSA and it be contained? 

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 11:05

PSA is indicative rather than conclusive. The most conclusive aspect is Gleason Score, MRI investigation and the opinions of urologists and oncologists. I was 71, had the same Gleason score as yours and had surgery over 12 years ago. We are still enjoying our life in all its aspects. Recovery was tough but I recovered, suffer from very mild incontinence and ED but that is due to my age rather than the surgery. Pre surgery my erections were becoming unreliable and not long lasting. Surprisingly our sex life is better now than before surgery! Have a read of my post at:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

Don't be influenced by what I say but once to decide on your treatment be optimistic and remember a lot of healing takes place in the head.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 11:07
PSA is indicative rather than conclusive. The most conclusive aspect is Gleason Score, MRI investigation and the opinions of urologists and oncologists. I was 71, had the same Gleason score as yours and had surgery over 12 years ago. We are still enjoying our life in all its aspects. Recovery was tough but I recovered, suffer from very mild incontinence and ED but that is due to my age rather than the surgery. Pre surgery my erections were becoming unreliable and not long lasting. Surprisingly our sex life is better now than before surgery! Have a read of my post at:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

Don't be influenced by what I say but once to decide on your treatment be optimistic and remember a lot of healing takes place in the head.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 12:33
We have had men on here with PSA of 80 or more and no prostate cancer. We have also had members with PSA of 3 but extensive mets. As Pratap says, PSA indicates there is a problem; it is not a reliable indicator of how serious the problem is - your scans all suggest that your cancer is contained.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 18:28

Many thanks I have seen many of your posts and vary helpful positive advice .