I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Problems after surgery

User
Posted 10 Jun 2023 at 18:17

My husband had radical robotic prostatectomy 4 weeks ago. He had catheter removed a week later and the that day rushed to A&E in agony. Found to have a leak in the anastomosis. Catheter back in for 2 weeks, cystogram yesterday still leaking, catheter back in. Told to wait another 2 weeks. Losing confidence that it ever will. Anyone have any experience of this?

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 07:45

i8toys, I have not had personal experience of the same issue but there have been a few on here who had similar problems. It does make recovery a little longer. 

If the catheter is causing discomfort get some instilagel or hydrocaine,it is a lubricant, anesthetic and antiseptic.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:02

i8toys, put the word  Cystogram into the search box above you will see quite a number of guys who had the same Issue.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:38

Unfortunate. After my surgery 12 years ago I had a 'leaky joint' between the bladder and the urethra. I had to have the catheter in for a long time and week after week I was told 'it willl be ok next week'. Five weeks later my catheter was removed. Our bodies have a remarkable ability to heal itself.  I had issues with not being able to empty the bladder easily. It was an extremely anxious 6/7 weeks. Although all is well now I still leak when sexually excited and when I have an orgasm. However we have adapted to this new situation. To encourage yourself have a look at my post at: 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 07:45

i8toys, I have not had personal experience of the same issue but there have been a few on here who had similar problems. It does make recovery a little longer. 

If the catheter is causing discomfort get some instilagel or hydrocaine,it is a lubricant, anesthetic and antiseptic.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:02

i8toys, put the word  Cystogram into the search box above you will see quite a number of guys who had the same Issue.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:17

Thanks Chris. Losing hope it will ever heal itself without further intervention.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:38

Unfortunate. After my surgery 12 years ago I had a 'leaky joint' between the bladder and the urethra. I had to have the catheter in for a long time and week after week I was told 'it willl be ok next week'. Five weeks later my catheter was removed. Our bodies have a remarkable ability to heal itself.  I had issues with not being able to empty the bladder easily. It was an extremely anxious 6/7 weeks. Although all is well now I still leak when sexually excited and when I have an orgasm. However we have adapted to this new situation. To encourage yourself have a look at my post at: 

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 11 Jun 2023 at 08:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you. That gives me some hope!