Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosed at 44

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 07:42

Good Morning 

I’m 44 and diagnosed on Thursday 14th June 2023 with low grade 2 area one side tumour 

Gleason 6 T1c N0 PSA 5.3 

But my dad had aggressive prostate cancer and died at 67 after 17 months, 13 years ago  

I’ve also had melanoma 15 months ago and awaiting results on 2 more suspicious moles with results due back in 2 weeks. 

• I only got picked up with PC on MRI due to a urine infection (not related ) then CT, DRE, biopsy and here I am 6 weeks later. 

Due to dad’s history the consultant / mdt have given me until September to make a decision with my wife & 16yr old daughter plus lots of reading on these options: 

RP

Brachytherapy 

Radiotherapy 

HIFU- in a trial

AS 

Due to dad the consultant/mdt would advise me against AS. 

It has come earlier than I expected in my life and would really appreciate any advice as I’m 44 with what seems lots of options with lots of side effects!

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 11:54

Really sorry about the diagnosis. At least it has been identified early. A former colleague of mine was also diagnosed in his mid 40s and had surgery several years ago. He is now running ultra marathons, which is not a side effect I would not want! Everyone is different and and the decision depends on your own individual circumstances at the time, medical advice and your views. I am 57 and now 9 weeks post surgery. I made my decision based on  wanting it out and to maintain treatment options in the future should there be a re occurrence. Good luck. 

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 12:01

Sorry you have to deal with this at a relative young age. I can only advice you from my experience. I was diagnosed with PCa 18mths ago, Gleeson Score 3+4. I was 57yrs at the time, fairly asymptomatic apart from the nightly waking to pee. I only did the PSA test because of a video that was shared to me on Whatsapp - my PSA was 19 at the time. The consultant did mention off the cuff, that is was difficult to predict my situation as it was slow growing. I looked into all the treatment options and my preferred option was HiFU - as it had less side effect than RP. I was worried about the incontinence and ED that seems associated with RP. 

I had a second biopsy done at the insistence of the HIFU team at UCLH, sadly there was a presence of cancer (even though low grade (3+3) on the the other side as well. At the phone consultation, I was told the decision was mine to go with HIFU or not. I asked him what he would do in my situation and he said he would choose RP owing to my age and the fact that there was cancer on both sides. I went with RP just over 1 yr ago, I have little incontinence - completely dry - no pads during the day, however my biggest challenge is on the ED front. A year on I have not been able to get any useful erection - that to me is my biggest regret! I have spoken to a few guys in the same boat as myself, worried about the quality of life issues. I guess it is all dependant on what each person values, sex was a big part of my life and did not know how big it was until it was gone!

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 15:31

Hi Gee_Baba

You and many others may regret having had RP because of incontinence and ED. The choice of treatment is probably the most difficult decision any man may have to make. Of course if the cancer has spread beyond the gland then RP is generally not an appropriate option. I had surgery over 12 years ago and suffer from mild incontinence when sexually excited and when I orgasm which is obviously very inconvenient, and ED which is more due to my age than the surgery. As far as erectile function is concerned there is some evidence that even if nerves are spared most men's erectile function will not return to the per-surgery level. Despite this RP is quite popular because of the psychological benefit of 'getting rid of cancer for ever'!  One of the reasons I chose surgery was that any radiation treatment may leave some cancer cells untreated (although modern targeted approach makes this less likely). Many men have enlarged prostate, as I had, and therefore removing it solves the problem difficulty with urination. Also if the surgery is not successful the other treatments are backups.

I often point out to recovering men that whatever treatment you choose you don't have to give up sex. There are many options to deal with incontinence and ED, should you be unlucky. Because of my age my erections were very weak pre-surgery and did not wish to use any drugs or invasive treatments like injections or further surgery and opted for RP. Because my wife and I were determined to re-establish our sex life we did find a solution that suits us and has had unintended benefits. If you are interested you can read my posts at:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 22:03

It's hard to give you specific guidance as everyone is different both medically as well as emotionally. RARP is a popular treatment but can result in ED and incontinence to greater or lesser degree - neither of which are life threatening but can have significant psychological effects that may or may not be something that you and/or your partner can handle.

I am 5 weeks post RARP and of course have both side effects that I am handling well but I am so thankful that I chose this procedure which was far, far less traumatic than I had feared but I can see how the side effects may impact others, especially given your age. It's definitely a long conversation with the rest of the family.

Good luck with whatever you decide and my thoughts are with you.

Edited by member 16 Jun 2023 at 22:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 23:20
Being so young you will many years to live with the after effects of radiation if you chose Bracy or EBRT AND you will still have a prostate to get cancer in.

For that reason I would still choose Prostatectomy.

Maybe get a second opinion on Active survielance too.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 08:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It’s the side effects which are the hardest thing to weigh up but also with a 16yr daughter I want also to experience life with her as she grows into a woman, career and family.

If your urologist believes that the margins are clear and that the cancer is contained within the prostate, then the RARP gives you the best options. Worst case scenario is the ED and incontinence which will likely improve to varying degrees over time) but it is a small price to pay for the time that you will spend with your family. As long as they support you then you have every chance of enjoying the next 40 years with them.
Just one point I'd raise, don't underestimate the effects of that cancer diagnosis on your daughter - it's a scary word with very negative connotations and 16 year olds aren't the best at revealing their true feelings. I suspect that she will need as much support and comforting as you and your wife will during this period.

Very best wishes 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 09:14

I was 51 when diagnosed T2a N0 Mx.

All options were on the table but although it was my decision the surgical team did hint heavily that RARP was the best option for some of my age because of the potential long life ahead of me. The other options risk the cancer returning during that  time and then having further treatment. I am not incontinent but still have a level of ED despite the nerves being saved. I honestly do not regret the treatment decision.

Someone as young as yourself will soon be back on your feet. I was back to long hikes within a couple of months and despite the ED my sex life is still good.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 10:15

That’s a very good point about your daughter. My 23 year old daughter took my diagnosis in her stride (she is a nurse) but my 26 year old son was shocked and needed much reassurance that I was treatable and it had been caught early. It took him sometime to come round

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 11:24

A few more thoughts...

Having been diagnosed with two cancers at such a young age, you might want to think about having genetic screening. It's not necessarily a good idea - there are pros and cons, and you should be counselled on these before going ahead. If you are interested, ask you consultants and GP for their views and how to be referred if you want to go ahead.

Again, having been diagnosed at a young age, you are looking for a long period of remission. This might mean that you could need another treatment in the future. Some treatments lend themselves to follow-on treatments better than others. For example, prostatectomy is easily followed with radiotherapy, but radiotherapy is not so easily followed by prostatectomy (it's technically possible, but quality of life outcomes are not so good).

Radiotherapy does carry a small risk of causing additional cancers later in life. This is not usually much of a consideration, but again, being younger you have a longer rest of life which will make the risk higher. It might perhaps be a treatment to keep for later when you're older, if you were to need more treatment, and given you do have some other options.

On active surveillance, a question I would ask is, given your cancer can't be seen on scans (definition of a T1), how will they be monitoring it? Obviously they'll use PSA, but what else?

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 19:50

Hi Carl,

Really sorry to hear your news at a young age. I am just 53 and feel myself to be far too young to have been diagnosed but there are quite a few of us on this forum who are a bit younger than the average.

I am 10 days post RP so still early days. My Gleason was 8 and pushing on boundaries of prostate. Surgery for me was the only option.

Given your Gleason score You may want to seriously consider Focal therapy via HIFU or similar as it gives you a chance to cure (although not many studies on efficacy yet) and maintain normal function afterwards. I would have been tempted by that if only to delay full surgery for a few more years.

Regarding the other options for you, at this stage I might not consider RP even though that is the best single chance of it not returning. 

However I am still a newbie to this subject, and all of our situations, contexts and diseases are different.

keep us posted and do loads of research, so that whatever decision you make it is the right one for you! 

User
Posted 18 Jun 2023 at 13:29

44 more years is not out if the question.

I was 46 when diagnosed.  Before surgery, I was T3a Gleason 7.  Post surgery, upgraded to T3b and Gleason 9.

You do have to consider that your tumour may have been under-estimated like mine.

I was advised to have RP.  No incontinence afterwards.

I needed salvage radiotherapy. Some bowel incontinence afterwards but well controlled.

Non nerve sparing and now have a penile implant.

I'll be 53 in August.  PSA is now <0.006, the lowest possible reading.

You have every reason to hope.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 00:05

Do you want 44 years with side effects, or would you accept 26 years with minimal side effects?

Not everyone gets the worst side effects from RP and some have no side effects. For a T1 tumour it would be the best chance of a cure. Occasionally what was thought to be a T1 turns out to be a T3 and some form of RT would have been a much better choice. If you have a genetic disposition to prostate cancer, having it removed eliminates recurrence (assuming all removed).

So RP is the highest risk of side effects and the lowest risk of recurrence, but if it goes wrong you have 44 years of life with bad side effects. 

The side effects of the other treatments you list are progressively less severe. HIFU has minimal side effects, but probably would need repeating within a decade, or would then need a more aggressive treatment. 

So your life expectancy was 87 before you got prostate cancer, you may be able to get back to that life expectancy with RP. Like everyone else on this forum, you have already drawn the short straw and got cancer, so life expectancy of 87 is pretty much a pipe dream, but if you were to accept a life expectancy of 70 and chose a less aggressive treatment , maybe that would be the better outcome.

If I were in your position I would choose the HIFU, but I'm not in your position, you are, so you will have to make a choice based on your desires.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 15:09

Hi Carl,

I’m 48 and have an 11yr old boy and like you, it’s my intention to be around for as long as possible to see him grow up! Hopefully I can do that whilst living as ‘normal’ a life as possible as well. I chose Brachy in the hope that it will tick both boxes satisfactorily.

Time will tell whether I’ve been overly optimistic but regardless of what the future holds, when diagnosed as we’ve been, at an early stage and with a low (low/intermediate for me) grade, I couldn’t really see any differences between the curative outcomes of Brachy or RARP as a primary treatment.

Despite the popular consensus being that RARP would be the path of least regret for us young men, I just couldn’t reconcile the fairly significant increased risk of side effects and recovery time that was associated with RARP when the likelihood of success with Brachy was virtually identical.

The consultant who did my procedure said that when he started doing Brachy more than 20 years ago, he thought 10% of his patients (all grades/stages) might fail the treatment and require salvage treatment. In fact, 2000 procedures later he’s had less than 30 patients suffer failure – that’s just 1.5% of all cases over 20+ years! He also made the point that 20 years ago, the quality of the procedure and the dosimetry of the implants was far inferior to today’s techniques.

Another oncologist at a different facility said he and another colleague had also done more than 2000 procedures over nearly 20 years and their failure rate in that time was less than 8%. This second oncologist also said that he didn’t believe any of those failures was because a 2nd independent cancer had developed further down the line but rather that the failure was because the initial treatment hadn’t succeeded in killing the original cancer and that then caused future biochemical failure. The key then, is whether the initial treatment is successful and not whether a new cancer will subsequently develop in the prostate that has been left behind.

Someone posted this link ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9oZ6iiVq4 ) in another thread which I thought was very interesting and reiterates a lot of what I heard when meeting with the different oncologists.

So yes, there’s no doubt if Brachy fails to cure the primary cancer then salvage is difficult – more difficult than after RARP and probably always with worse side effects but that doesn’t mean salvage after failed RARP is a cakewalk either - it too can result in significant problems. Conversely though, if it works, Brachy is likely to leave you with far fewer side effects and a better QoL.

Some of the best advice I felt I was given was to try not to focus too much on the ‘what if it fails’ question but instead focus on the ‘how likely is each treatment going to be at curing what I have now?’ question.

It’s still a shocking decision to be faced with though and although it’s probably inevitable that I’ve come across as being Brachy biased because that’s the path I recently chose, I really don’t mean to try to influence anyone – I just want to try and pass on some of the more pertinent information I gleaned when trying to make a decision.

It was definitely the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make and I lost count of the number of times I changed my mind during the process - whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck and a long and healthy future life.

Cheers, Paul

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 15:41

You have written an excellent post which will help many trying to decide on their treatments. I am not sure if consultants advising Brachy take into account the history of the urinary problems that some men have before diagnosis. The oncologist I consulted was very confident that Brachy will cure me but when I asked him if it will cure me of my urinary problem due to a very enlarged prostate, causing problems of frequency and urgency of urination, he seemed vary vague. In the event I chose RP 12 years ago because my common sense logic was that if you remove the prostate you get rid of (hopefully!) the cancer and solve my urinary problem simulateanously. Everything worked out for me. Like you I would not influence anyone unduly. I think men who have enlarged prostate (like me because I am much older than you) and having urinary issues should seek advice specifically from this point of view. If Brachy deals with only the cancer you may to have RP at some stage. I don't know the answer!

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 15:54

You have written an excellent post which will help many trying to decide on their treatments. I am not sure if consultants advising Brachy take into account the history of the urinary problems that some men have before diagnosis. The oncologist I consulted was very confident that Brachy will cure me but when I asked him if it will cure me of my urinary problem due to a very enlarged prostate, causing problems of frequency and urgency of urination, he seemed vary vague. In the event I chose RP 12 years ago because my common sense logic was that if you remove the prostate you get rid of (hopefully!) the cancer and solve my urinary problem simulateanously. Everything worked out for me. Like you I would not influence anyone unduly. I think men who have enlarged prostate (like me because I am much older than you) and having urinary issues should seek advice specifically from this point of view. If Brachy deals with only the cancer you may to have RP at some stage. I don't know the answer!

You are absolutely right - some people would not be suitable candidates for Brachy because of their existing urinary symptoms as the radiation can make it worse.

Before my consultant would 'authorise' my Brachy treatment, I had to prove my urinary function. This was done by having a flow test in the hospital followed by a scan to measure the level of voiding achieved (i.e. how empty your bladder actually is after you've performed!)

I also had to complete the IPSS questionaire https://www.baus.org.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Patients/Leaflets/IPSS.pdf 

I don't remember what my consultant deemed an unacceptable IPSS score to qualify for Brachy but I know my score was just 1.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 16:02
Fixing my urinary issues after RP was a benefit - I have alway been a slow pee'er and would have to have 2 or 3 goes at a complete empty - now I am enjoying peeing like a horse with a complete empty first time.

Now I just need to keep practising the holding it in when standing up and when coughing or sneezing - it is getting better :)

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 09:03

"There is also encouraging responses on incontinence and ED too which it seems is down to location and severity of tumour.
If I understand correctly too, both treatments have a good success rate, but Brachytherapy has a higher 2nd cancer chance return rate and is harder to salvage treat."

Not quite. If the cancer is believed to be contained and nerve-sparing surgery is done, ED and incontinence are down to the skill of the surgeon, a bit of luck and the availabilityof post-op support in your NHS Trust. ED/incontinence due to location and severity only applies to men who have to have non nerve-sparing RP.
All other things being equal, brachy, RP and EBRT all have almost identical success rates for a man with a T1 / T2a / T2b tumour.
It is true that salvage treatment is more difficult after brachy or EBRT but choosing a treatment based on what happens if it fails is a flawed strategy. Statistically, if the primary treatment fails, there is only a 50% chance of salvage treatment being successful. It is better to choose the primary treatment that is least likely to fail in your case and then decide whether you can live with the known and potential side effects. If you can't, you look for the next best treatment that has side effects you are willing to risk.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 09:13
Just to add that I am now 6 weeks today from RARP. Yesterday I needed just 1 #2 pad for the whole day and last night's pad was completely dry. I did get up twice in the night to pee into my urinal bottle but zero leakage.

I know when I need to pee and can hold it in with just the occasional accident when I get lazy - but I am sure that will become automatic eventually. I will probably keep wearing the #1 pads for some time just to be safe.

ED is something else as I am guessing that will take a lot longer - but a pleasurable orgasm is still very possible - an erection is not a requirement for that and bedtime can still be a lot of fun for both parties.

I'm not saying that if you chose RARP that you would get the same results - but that's how it has affected me.

Godd luck

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 20:50

The medics sometimes make strong recommendations, in my case there was only one treatment plan likely to work, so it was a very strong recommendation. In other cases there is recommendation to treat but the patient has options. In your case at the moment it seems the medics are inclined to treat, but your immediate risk is so low they are not making a strong recommendation.

I don't know when your cancer will start to progress, for the purpose of argument I'm going to assume ten years.

I doubt a 54 year old would take much longer than a 44 year old to recover from treatment.

Treatments are improving all the time; in ten years if AS lasts that long you will be offered better treatment than they can offer you now. Any treatment other than HIFU or AS will impact what future treatments may be available to you.

The probability of side effects from treatment I do not know, from this forum one gets a very negative bias. If you can delay these side effects for ten years that would help maintain your quality of life whilst you are young.

I am curious as to why you ruled out HIFU (you don't have to justify your actions to a random guy on the internet, but thinking through your reasoning may help you make the best decision for you). The fact it was on a trial would guarantee you some good followup monitoring.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 21:57

Thank you. 
Hifu would be available over 100miles away and I would require frequent trips for consultations, tests etc before they accept me. 
Then was advised that it may or may not work and that they don’t know for how long or recurrence rate as of yet. 
I have to think of my daughter and wife on my decision and what they can cope with too. 
Uncertainty is not good for them

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 22:07

HIFU was discussed with my surgeon however was ruled out because he thought the size of the tumour was too big to have a good chance of successful treatment. My legion was 14mm. 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 12:09
Hi Carl,

It's a horrible period and if you're anything like me, you'll change your mind about what's the best course of action multiple times! It does feel good when you make your decision though because at that point you have a lot more certainty and can start to prepare yourself for what's going to happen.

October 6th seems quite a long time to have to wait for a follow up? Maybe someone else will confirm if that's normal but my NHS referrals and follow ups were much quicker than that.

Just a thought, but have you actually spoken to an oncologist or just a consultant urologist?

Often the urologist will specialise only in surgery and wouldn't have anything to do with Brachy. Personally, I would want to talk to the specialist who would be doing the Brachy procedure about Brachy and not just the urologist.

I don't know how it works in your area but I identified an NHS oncologist who did Brachy in my area (there weren't many to be honest so they weren't hard to find!) and then asked for my GP to refer me.

I did the same for a second opinion from a different NHS urologist and got appointments with both of them within a few weeks of asking for the referral.

Personally, I found talking to the different specialists about their actual speciality, rather than being told about their speciality by the other specialist, really helpful.

Of course, you might have already spoken to both oncos and urologists in which case, reading this has been a waste of your time!

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 15:07

You're going to have to get used to that 'unknown' feeling. Whatever treatment you have, you will have followup PSA tests once every six months or so post treatment. I had one on Monday, results are due Friday. I don't get anxious, as I'm an optimist and assume all will be OK, but I do get eager to know the result.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 17:01

October 6th seems quite a long time to have to wait for a follow up? Maybe someone else will confirm if that's normal but my NHS referrals and follow ups were much quicker than that.

Carl has already stated that he is on AS - that means that the hospital has no target time in which to offer him a follow up appointment for the purpose of agreeing and starting treatment. 6 monthly review is a perfectly normal timescale for a man on AS

I agree with other posts though, Carl - don't necessarily wait until October and then ask to see an oncologist only to discover that will be another 6 months' waiting. Your surgeon will have a bias towards surgery (and in your case, seems to have a bias towards not treating at all) so essential that you see an oncologist to discuss alternatives. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 19:27
My apologies; I had read your post and interpreted that the urologist has put you down on the paperwork as AS until your follow-up appointment, mainly because the NHS target is to start your treatment within 62 days of diagnosis and 31 days of you informing them which treatment you are opting for. Clearly, in your case, they are going to miss the first target by a wide margin and possibly miss the second target as well - marking you down as on AS stops the clock ticking. Obviously, I am too cynical :-/

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 20:04

Interesting, the way it goes is you usually discuss treatment options with the specialists. Surgeon and Oncologist. Plus I also had a very long discussion with the specialists nurse to talk through the different options. In fact the Nurse was present at all the meetings I had with the consultants. Finally I had a nurse designated to me who I could ring for advice.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 15:45

Update today:

last PSA in May was 5.07 today it is 1.27, I haven’t had any treatment or anything. 
I am guessing this is a great sign that nothing is growing. 
I must say that I did not think it would go down that much though. 
Is this normal? 
I also have my Genetic consultation tomorrow as the consultant believes I may have the Braca gene. This will be an interesting discussion. 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 17:33

That sounds fantastic, even if perhaps unusual (?).  Others may know better.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 18:34

That is very good news. I wonder what made it go so high? The genetic consultation will be interesting.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 11:54

Really sorry about the diagnosis. At least it has been identified early. A former colleague of mine was also diagnosed in his mid 40s and had surgery several years ago. He is now running ultra marathons, which is not a side effect I would not want! Everyone is different and and the decision depends on your own individual circumstances at the time, medical advice and your views. I am 57 and now 9 weeks post surgery. I made my decision based on  wanting it out and to maintain treatment options in the future should there be a re occurrence. Good luck. 

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 12:01

Sorry you have to deal with this at a relative young age. I can only advice you from my experience. I was diagnosed with PCa 18mths ago, Gleeson Score 3+4. I was 57yrs at the time, fairly asymptomatic apart from the nightly waking to pee. I only did the PSA test because of a video that was shared to me on Whatsapp - my PSA was 19 at the time. The consultant did mention off the cuff, that is was difficult to predict my situation as it was slow growing. I looked into all the treatment options and my preferred option was HiFU - as it had less side effect than RP. I was worried about the incontinence and ED that seems associated with RP. 

I had a second biopsy done at the insistence of the HIFU team at UCLH, sadly there was a presence of cancer (even though low grade (3+3) on the the other side as well. At the phone consultation, I was told the decision was mine to go with HIFU or not. I asked him what he would do in my situation and he said he would choose RP owing to my age and the fact that there was cancer on both sides. I went with RP just over 1 yr ago, I have little incontinence - completely dry - no pads during the day, however my biggest challenge is on the ED front. A year on I have not been able to get any useful erection - that to me is my biggest regret! I have spoken to a few guys in the same boat as myself, worried about the quality of life issues. I guess it is all dependant on what each person values, sex was a big part of my life and did not know how big it was until it was gone!

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 15:31

Hi Gee_Baba

You and many others may regret having had RP because of incontinence and ED. The choice of treatment is probably the most difficult decision any man may have to make. Of course if the cancer has spread beyond the gland then RP is generally not an appropriate option. I had surgery over 12 years ago and suffer from mild incontinence when sexually excited and when I orgasm which is obviously very inconvenient, and ED which is more due to my age than the surgery. As far as erectile function is concerned there is some evidence that even if nerves are spared most men's erectile function will not return to the per-surgery level. Despite this RP is quite popular because of the psychological benefit of 'getting rid of cancer for ever'!  One of the reasons I chose surgery was that any radiation treatment may leave some cancer cells untreated (although modern targeted approach makes this less likely). Many men have enlarged prostate, as I had, and therefore removing it solves the problem difficulty with urination. Also if the surgery is not successful the other treatments are backups.

I often point out to recovering men that whatever treatment you choose you don't have to give up sex. There are many options to deal with incontinence and ED, should you be unlucky. Because of my age my erections were very weak pre-surgery and did not wish to use any drugs or invasive treatments like injections or further surgery and opted for RP. Because my wife and I were determined to re-establish our sex life we did find a solution that suits us and has had unintended benefits. If you are interested you can read my posts at:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 22:03

It's hard to give you specific guidance as everyone is different both medically as well as emotionally. RARP is a popular treatment but can result in ED and incontinence to greater or lesser degree - neither of which are life threatening but can have significant psychological effects that may or may not be something that you and/or your partner can handle.

I am 5 weeks post RARP and of course have both side effects that I am handling well but I am so thankful that I chose this procedure which was far, far less traumatic than I had feared but I can see how the side effects may impact others, especially given your age. It's definitely a long conversation with the rest of the family.

Good luck with whatever you decide and my thoughts are with you.

Edited by member 16 Jun 2023 at 22:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2023 at 23:20
Being so young you will many years to live with the after effects of radiation if you chose Bracy or EBRT AND you will still have a prostate to get cancer in.

For that reason I would still choose Prostatectomy.

Maybe get a second opinion on Active survielance too.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 05:23

Thank you so much, so far for all your kind words, comments and knowledge on my situation. It really means a lot and helps me go through my many options and thoughts. 

Everyone has a different story as we are all different people. 

It’s the side effects which are the hardest thing to weigh up but also with a 16yr daughter I want also to experience life with her as she grows into a woman, career and family.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 08:31

If your urologist believes that the margins are clear and that the cancer is contained within the prostate, then the RARP gives you the best options. Worst case scenario is the ED and incontinence which will likely improve to varying degrees over time) but it is a small price to pay for the time that you will spend with your family. As long as they support you then you have every chance of enjoying the next 40 years with them.
Just one point I'd raise, don't underestimate the effects of that cancer diagnosis on your daughter - it's a scary word with very negative connotations and 16 year olds aren't the best at revealing their true feelings. I suspect that she will need as much support and comforting as you and your wife will during this period.

Very best wishes 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 09:14

I was 51 when diagnosed T2a N0 Mx.

All options were on the table but although it was my decision the surgical team did hint heavily that RARP was the best option for some of my age because of the potential long life ahead of me. The other options risk the cancer returning during that  time and then having further treatment. I am not incontinent but still have a level of ED despite the nerves being saved. I honestly do not regret the treatment decision.

Someone as young as yourself will soon be back on your feet. I was back to long hikes within a couple of months and despite the ED my sex life is still good.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 10:15

That’s a very good point about your daughter. My 23 year old daughter took my diagnosis in her stride (she is a nurse) but my 26 year old son was shocked and needed much reassurance that I was treatable and it had been caught early. It took him sometime to come round

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 11:24

A few more thoughts...

Having been diagnosed with two cancers at such a young age, you might want to think about having genetic screening. It's not necessarily a good idea - there are pros and cons, and you should be counselled on these before going ahead. If you are interested, ask you consultants and GP for their views and how to be referred if you want to go ahead.

Again, having been diagnosed at a young age, you are looking for a long period of remission. This might mean that you could need another treatment in the future. Some treatments lend themselves to follow-on treatments better than others. For example, prostatectomy is easily followed with radiotherapy, but radiotherapy is not so easily followed by prostatectomy (it's technically possible, but quality of life outcomes are not so good).

Radiotherapy does carry a small risk of causing additional cancers later in life. This is not usually much of a consideration, but again, being younger you have a longer rest of life which will make the risk higher. It might perhaps be a treatment to keep for later when you're older, if you were to need more treatment, and given you do have some other options.

On active surveillance, a question I would ask is, given your cancer can't be seen on scans (definition of a T1), how will they be monitoring it? Obviously they'll use PSA, but what else?

User
Posted 17 Jun 2023 at 19:50

Hi Carl,

Really sorry to hear your news at a young age. I am just 53 and feel myself to be far too young to have been diagnosed but there are quite a few of us on this forum who are a bit younger than the average.

I am 10 days post RP so still early days. My Gleason was 8 and pushing on boundaries of prostate. Surgery for me was the only option.

Given your Gleason score You may want to seriously consider Focal therapy via HIFU or similar as it gives you a chance to cure (although not many studies on efficacy yet) and maintain normal function afterwards. I would have been tempted by that if only to delay full surgery for a few more years.

Regarding the other options for you, at this stage I might not consider RP even though that is the best single chance of it not returning. 

However I am still a newbie to this subject, and all of our situations, contexts and diseases are different.

keep us posted and do loads of research, so that whatever decision you make it is the right one for you! 

User
Posted 18 Jun 2023 at 06:50

We have just started reading all the information that the hospital has provided. 

I do not like the idea of incontinence at all. 

Emma feels for me for ED (I take it as a compliment) and if I will get any feelings for her in that department. 

Sophie just wants her dad 🥲

We all agree that we want another 44yrs here with me though 😊

Edited by member 18 Jun 2023 at 06:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jun 2023 at 13:29

44 more years is not out if the question.

I was 46 when diagnosed.  Before surgery, I was T3a Gleason 7.  Post surgery, upgraded to T3b and Gleason 9.

You do have to consider that your tumour may have been under-estimated like mine.

I was advised to have RP.  No incontinence afterwards.

I needed salvage radiotherapy. Some bowel incontinence afterwards but well controlled.

Non nerve sparing and now have a penile implant.

I'll be 53 in August.  PSA is now <0.006, the lowest possible reading.

You have every reason to hope.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 00:05

Do you want 44 years with side effects, or would you accept 26 years with minimal side effects?

Not everyone gets the worst side effects from RP and some have no side effects. For a T1 tumour it would be the best chance of a cure. Occasionally what was thought to be a T1 turns out to be a T3 and some form of RT would have been a much better choice. If you have a genetic disposition to prostate cancer, having it removed eliminates recurrence (assuming all removed).

So RP is the highest risk of side effects and the lowest risk of recurrence, but if it goes wrong you have 44 years of life with bad side effects. 

The side effects of the other treatments you list are progressively less severe. HIFU has minimal side effects, but probably would need repeating within a decade, or would then need a more aggressive treatment. 

So your life expectancy was 87 before you got prostate cancer, you may be able to get back to that life expectancy with RP. Like everyone else on this forum, you have already drawn the short straw and got cancer, so life expectancy of 87 is pretty much a pipe dream, but if you were to accept a life expectancy of 70 and chose a less aggressive treatment , maybe that would be the better outcome.

If I were in your position I would choose the HIFU, but I'm not in your position, you are, so you will have to make a choice based on your desires.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 15:09

Hi Carl,

I’m 48 and have an 11yr old boy and like you, it’s my intention to be around for as long as possible to see him grow up! Hopefully I can do that whilst living as ‘normal’ a life as possible as well. I chose Brachy in the hope that it will tick both boxes satisfactorily.

Time will tell whether I’ve been overly optimistic but regardless of what the future holds, when diagnosed as we’ve been, at an early stage and with a low (low/intermediate for me) grade, I couldn’t really see any differences between the curative outcomes of Brachy or RARP as a primary treatment.

Despite the popular consensus being that RARP would be the path of least regret for us young men, I just couldn’t reconcile the fairly significant increased risk of side effects and recovery time that was associated with RARP when the likelihood of success with Brachy was virtually identical.

The consultant who did my procedure said that when he started doing Brachy more than 20 years ago, he thought 10% of his patients (all grades/stages) might fail the treatment and require salvage treatment. In fact, 2000 procedures later he’s had less than 30 patients suffer failure – that’s just 1.5% of all cases over 20+ years! He also made the point that 20 years ago, the quality of the procedure and the dosimetry of the implants was far inferior to today’s techniques.

Another oncologist at a different facility said he and another colleague had also done more than 2000 procedures over nearly 20 years and their failure rate in that time was less than 8%. This second oncologist also said that he didn’t believe any of those failures was because a 2nd independent cancer had developed further down the line but rather that the failure was because the initial treatment hadn’t succeeded in killing the original cancer and that then caused future biochemical failure. The key then, is whether the initial treatment is successful and not whether a new cancer will subsequently develop in the prostate that has been left behind.

Someone posted this link ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9oZ6iiVq4 ) in another thread which I thought was very interesting and reiterates a lot of what I heard when meeting with the different oncologists.

So yes, there’s no doubt if Brachy fails to cure the primary cancer then salvage is difficult – more difficult than after RARP and probably always with worse side effects but that doesn’t mean salvage after failed RARP is a cakewalk either - it too can result in significant problems. Conversely though, if it works, Brachy is likely to leave you with far fewer side effects and a better QoL.

Some of the best advice I felt I was given was to try not to focus too much on the ‘what if it fails’ question but instead focus on the ‘how likely is each treatment going to be at curing what I have now?’ question.

It’s still a shocking decision to be faced with though and although it’s probably inevitable that I’ve come across as being Brachy biased because that’s the path I recently chose, I really don’t mean to try to influence anyone – I just want to try and pass on some of the more pertinent information I gleaned when trying to make a decision.

It was definitely the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make and I lost count of the number of times I changed my mind during the process - whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck and a long and healthy future life.

Cheers, Paul

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 15:41

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 15:54

You are absolutely right - some people would not be suitable candidates for Brachy because of their existing urinary symptoms as the radiation can make it worse.

Before my consultant would 'authorise' my Brachy treatment, I had to prove my urinary function. This was done by having a flow test in the hospital followed by a scan to measure the level of voiding achieved (i.e. how empty your bladder actually is after you've performed!)

I also had to complete the IPSS questionaire https://www.baus.org.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Patients/Leaflets/IPSS.pdf 

I don't remember what my consultant deemed an unacceptable IPSS score to qualify for Brachy but I know my score was just 1.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2023 at 16:02
Fixing my urinary issues after RP was a benefit - I have alway been a slow pee'er and would have to have 2 or 3 goes at a complete empty - now I am enjoying peeing like a horse with a complete empty first time.

Now I just need to keep practising the holding it in when standing up and when coughing or sneezing - it is getting better :)

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 06:05

Many thanks for your replies, they have been extremely helpful to myself & my family. 
it seems that it is down to 2 options with us for my treatment in September:

Robotic Prostatectomy

Brachytherapy

I see and read many articles, information and responses on recovery which has been very successful and this is very encouraging. 

There is also encouraging responses on incontinence and ED too which it seems is down to location and severity of tumour. 
If I understand correctly too, both treatments have a good success rate, but Brachytherapy has a higher 2nd cancer chance return rate and is harder to salvage treat. 

I still have a few more months to decide but it is starting to become a bit clearer in a very muddy water. 

Thanks again for helping me here 😊

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 09:03

"There is also encouraging responses on incontinence and ED too which it seems is down to location and severity of tumour.
If I understand correctly too, both treatments have a good success rate, but Brachytherapy has a higher 2nd cancer chance return rate and is harder to salvage treat."

Not quite. If the cancer is believed to be contained and nerve-sparing surgery is done, ED and incontinence are down to the skill of the surgeon, a bit of luck and the availabilityof post-op support in your NHS Trust. ED/incontinence due to location and severity only applies to men who have to have non nerve-sparing RP.
All other things being equal, brachy, RP and EBRT all have almost identical success rates for a man with a T1 / T2a / T2b tumour.
It is true that salvage treatment is more difficult after brachy or EBRT but choosing a treatment based on what happens if it fails is a flawed strategy. Statistically, if the primary treatment fails, there is only a 50% chance of salvage treatment being successful. It is better to choose the primary treatment that is least likely to fail in your case and then decide whether you can live with the known and potential side effects. If you can't, you look for the next best treatment that has side effects you are willing to risk.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 09:13
Just to add that I am now 6 weeks today from RARP. Yesterday I needed just 1 #2 pad for the whole day and last night's pad was completely dry. I did get up twice in the night to pee into my urinal bottle but zero leakage.

I know when I need to pee and can hold it in with just the occasional accident when I get lazy - but I am sure that will become automatic eventually. I will probably keep wearing the #1 pads for some time just to be safe.

ED is something else as I am guessing that will take a lot longer - but a pleasurable orgasm is still very possible - an erection is not a requirement for that and bedtime can still be a lot of fun for both parties.

I'm not saying that if you chose RARP that you would get the same results - but that's how it has affected me.

Godd luck

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 16:46

Saw the urology nurse today and she said that they have lots under AS for many years in my situation but the consultant still recommends treatment due to my age and that I will require treatment in the future. 
So better now when fit, young and healthy than older. 
She also brought out a Cambridge report on 10yr life expectancy (98%) and side effects on Radiation, Brachytherapy and RP which seemed fairly similar overall with ED & incontinence. 

Not much clearer on the decision front but still have time. It helped my daughter understand what is happening though which is a great bonus. 

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 20:50

The medics sometimes make strong recommendations, in my case there was only one treatment plan likely to work, so it was a very strong recommendation. In other cases there is recommendation to treat but the patient has options. In your case at the moment it seems the medics are inclined to treat, but your immediate risk is so low they are not making a strong recommendation.

I don't know when your cancer will start to progress, for the purpose of argument I'm going to assume ten years.

I doubt a 54 year old would take much longer than a 44 year old to recover from treatment.

Treatments are improving all the time; in ten years if AS lasts that long you will be offered better treatment than they can offer you now. Any treatment other than HIFU or AS will impact what future treatments may be available to you.

The probability of side effects from treatment I do not know, from this forum one gets a very negative bias. If you can delay these side effects for ten years that would help maintain your quality of life whilst you are young.

I am curious as to why you ruled out HIFU (you don't have to justify your actions to a random guy on the internet, but thinking through your reasoning may help you make the best decision for you). The fact it was on a trial would guarantee you some good followup monitoring.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 21:57

Thank you. 
Hifu would be available over 100miles away and I would require frequent trips for consultations, tests etc before they accept me. 
Then was advised that it may or may not work and that they don’t know for how long or recurrence rate as of yet. 
I have to think of my daughter and wife on my decision and what they can cope with too. 
Uncertainty is not good for them

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 22:07

HIFU was discussed with my surgeon however was ruled out because he thought the size of the tumour was too big to have a good chance of successful treatment. My legion was 14mm. 

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 22:22

Hope you had a successful treatment 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 05:39

Got my follow up date of 6th October. 
The time now seems like limbo where you know something is going to happen but not exactly what but you’re just waiting. 
The decision is tough and this time between with not exactly knowing what the next steps will be until I’ve had the discussion on the 6th is an unknown. 
The unknown is the worst thing I think. 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 12:09
Hi Carl,

It's a horrible period and if you're anything like me, you'll change your mind about what's the best course of action multiple times! It does feel good when you make your decision though because at that point you have a lot more certainty and can start to prepare yourself for what's going to happen.

Just a thought, but have you actually spoken to an oncologist or just a consultant urologist?

Often the urologist will specialise only in surgery and wouldn't have anything to do with Brachy. Personally, I would want to talk to the specialist who would be doing the Brachy procedure about Brachy and not just the urologist.

I don't know how it works in your area but I identified an NHS oncologist who did Brachy in my area (there weren't many to be honest so they weren't hard to find!) and then asked for my GP to refer me.

I did the same for a second opinion from a different NHS urologist and got appointments with both of them within a few weeks of asking for the referral.

Personally, I found talking to the different specialists about their actual speciality, rather than being told about their speciality by the other specialist, really helpful.

Of course, you might have already spoken to both oncos and urologists in which case, reading this has been a waste of your time!

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 15:04

Hi Stan

Very helpful thank you. 
I have only spoken to the consultant urologist when he told me my diagnosis. 
Then received my follow up appointment yesterday. 
I will enquire about other people that I can contact when the specialist nurse is back next week from vacation. 

I guess it is like everything, you have to personally push for things and hopefully clarity will then follow. 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 15:07

You're going to have to get used to that 'unknown' feeling. Whatever treatment you have, you will have followup PSA tests once every six months or so post treatment. I had one on Monday, results are due Friday. I don't get anxious, as I'm an optimist and assume all will be OK, but I do get eager to know the result.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 15:32

It will certainly be a learning curve for someone who likes control! 
Hope the PSA is good 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 17:01

Carl has already stated that he is on AS - that means that the hospital has no target time in which to offer him a follow up appointment for the purpose of agreeing and starting treatment. 6 monthly review is a perfectly normal timescale for a man on AS

I agree with other posts though, Carl - don't necessarily wait until October and then ask to see an oncologist only to discover that will be another 6 months' waiting. Your surgeon will have a bias towards surgery (and in your case, seems to have a bias towards not treating at all) so essential that you see an oncologist to discuss alternatives. 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 17:56

I am not on AS at the moment. 

The consultant Urologist who we met and diagnosed me said that he did not want/advise AS and that I was to go away, discuss, take the news in with the family and come back with an idea of treatment (surgery or Radiotherapy/Brachytherapy) at the follow up appointment which is now October 6th. 
Originally he said September but like most things, appointments fluctuate. 

I will definitely seek further advice on oncologists etc. for further clarification and information that will help me make this important but quite unclear at the moment decision. 
many thanks 

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 19:27
My apologies; I had read your post and interpreted that the urologist has put you down on the paperwork as AS until your follow-up appointment, mainly because the NHS target is to start your treatment within 62 days of diagnosis and 31 days of you informing them which treatment you are opting for. Clearly, in your case, they are going to miss the first target by a wide margin and possibly miss the second target as well - marking you down as on AS stops the clock ticking. Obviously, I am too cynical :-/

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 19:54

Thank you for clarification on waiting times. 
I did not know that. 
I could look at it in a positive way that they are not too concerned as such and want to give me more time to think. 
I think we all have a bit of cynicism in us 😊

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 20:04

Interesting, the way it goes is you usually discuss treatment options with the specialists. Surgeon and Oncologist. Plus I also had a very long discussion with the specialists nurse to talk through the different options. In fact the Nurse was present at all the meetings I had with the consultants. Finally I had a nurse designated to me who I could ring for advice.

User
Posted 28 Jun 2023 at 20:19

I had a specific nurse with us in our meeting. I guess I have all these different meetings to come once I choose. 
it seems that it’s more prolonged for myself after the initial consultation. 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 15:45

Update today:

last PSA in May was 5.07 today it is 1.27, I haven’t had any treatment or anything. 
I am guessing this is a great sign that nothing is growing. 
I must say that I did not think it would go down that much though. 
Is this normal? 
I also have my Genetic consultation tomorrow as the consultant believes I may have the Braca gene. This will be an interesting discussion. 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 17:33

That sounds fantastic, even if perhaps unusual (?).  Others may know better.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 18:34

That is very good news. I wonder what made it go so high? The genetic consultation will be interesting.

Dave