I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

what direction

User
Posted 02 Aug 2023 at 06:07

Diagnosed 01/08/23 with prostrate cancer in 3 areas with a gleason score of 7 got to have a bone scan yet and then make the decision on what treatment prostrate removal with a wanting time of 4 to 5 months or hormone treatment for 6months followed by 4weeks of radiotherapy, what after effects or experiences have you giys had with any of the treatments 

User
Posted 02 Aug 2023 at 21:09

Hi Micky B,

Sorry that you find yourself here.

Adverse effects of treatments vary widely, so it's difficult to say how your body will respond to whatever treatments might be offered to you.

I was diagnosed in May '22 and opted for a prostatectomy, which I had in June of last year.  I was unlucky, in that I had severe urinary incontinence immediately afterwards, but this has improved a lot, although I'm still not completely dry.  I also have erectile dysfunction, which is also severe.  This has been slower to recover.  I have been offered various treatments which I continue to use regularly (e.g. oral medication, penile injections and a vacuum pump) and I am only now beginning to get slight 'stirrings' in my penis.

I hope that other people will contribute their own experiences of prostatectomy or radiation, hormone therapy and chemotherapy.

Until you get the results of all your tests and are offered a choice, it may be difficult to make sense of all the information people share, but feel free to continue to ask new questions as more information becomes available about your own situation.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 21:07
I take it that is three areas within the prostate. If the cancer is undetectable outside the prostate then there are various treatment options which apparently all have different success rates on paper but different side effect profiles.

As JedSee says, surgery gives you the satisfaction that the cancer is (or should be) out, but it is a big shock to the body and most patients have effects on continence and erectile function that often persist for months and might be long lasting. It is often thought younger patients have the best recovery.

Hormone/radiation therapy is less dramatic in the short term, although losing testosterone is not exactly fun - and it takes a surprisingly long time for the hormone suppression to wear off. Radiation doesn't put you through the wringer like surgery (it leaves you drained though) but gives a risk of longer term effects. Those are of more concern to young patients, and actually modern advances in radiotherapy probably mean they are less of an issue than in the past.

If you are unlucky enough that the first treatment doesn't work, at least with surgery HT/RT is an option - and residual cancer cells are very easily detected because with the prostate surgically removed PSA should be zero (that is how I have experience of both treatments). If your first treatment is HT/RT that usually means surgery can't be done subsequently and you are looking at long term HT or chemotherapy of some sort.

Good luck! There are lots of people here who have undergone different treatments (brachytherapy also seems interesting, although it was unavailable to me) who can tell you their personal experience - but in the end every patient is different and you will have to make your own choice.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 21:20

My initial diagnosis was the same as yours, Gleason score 7.  Once you have the results of further investigation you will be in a much better position to make a judgement on treatment. It is not easy but with Gleason 7 you can be optimistic. I had prostatectomy 12 years ago and I am still ok and that is all one can say with this disease. When you have further details and if you decide to go for prostatectomy and need to talk to me about my experience and recovery you are very welcome to ask me. Good luck.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 04 Aug 2023 at 09:58
Likewise another Gleason 3+4=7 at biopsy so went for the RARP - glad I did as the histology report upgraded it to 4+5=9 pT3bN0 so I am glad that the 'mothership' is out of me.

Post op incontinence wasn't too bad and now almost cleared up except when sneezing so just using one pad per day. I wasn't lucky to have the nerves saved so will have permanent ED but we have ways around that which doesn't require penetration.

With the T3b diagnosis, although my post-op PSA is <0.01, I still have the option for RT/HT down the road should it increase.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2023 at 09:44

Same Gleason score as yourself. Early and contained diagnosis. I was 66 yrs old never been in hospital or under anaesthetic before.

Decided on Radical prostatectomy. Before surgery if you decide this route 

Get yourself fit both physically and mentally.  Staying positive really worked for me. 

Do your pelvic floor exercises. They really do work.

Post op. 10 days catheter.  Inconvenience but not painful.

Small pad wearing from minor leakage for a few weeks

Walking after 5 days. Completed 3km walk and gently jogging after 6 weeks. 

No painkillers no on going medication. 

3 years now post op. Psa tests continue every 6 months.

No issues  No incontinence 

Main thing is to get fit and be prepared for op. The op went well.

Stay positive.  Stay strong 

Regards

User
Posted 27 Aug 2023 at 11:08

Hi Micky

I don't know what age you are; your profile says 3!

I was 71 when I had prostatectomy 12 years ago. I am almost 100% continent except when I am sexually excited and when I have an orgasm - rather inconvenient during love making but we have found ways of handling that. My nerves were saved but I can't have much of an erection, more due to my age rather than the surgery. That sounds all depressingly negative but I am pleased I chose surgery because my PSA has remained constant at <0.003 for the past 12 years. We have managed to re-establish our sex life with some intended benefits with the aid of VEDs. If you wish to know more have a look at the following link. I wish you luck because as you go through treatment and recover luck and a positive attitude has to be your constant companion because there are so many unknowns.  All treatments including prostatectomy has made huge advanced since my surgery, so you are in a much better position than I was. 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate